Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
HPI PULSE Hop UPS >

HPI PULSE Hop UPS

HPI PULSE Hop UPS

Old 09-12-2012, 07:25 PM
Tech Rookie

Default HPI PULSE Hop UPS

So i recently purchased a HPI Pulse, mind you this is my first nitro rc, and i wanted what kind of hop ups are available that are compatible from other manufacturers. ie. Shocks, Headlights, Bodies, and custom mods to chasis using aluminum. Or what recomendations are available for bettering this vehicle such as good fuels to use. Basically general knoledge of beasting up this bad boy. I will mostly be running on black top and dirt road with few bumps and jumps until i am comfortable.

Thnks
Old 09-13-2012, 01:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I'm going to give you an answer you may not want but no offense is intended...

1/8th RTR's like the Pulse are generally great for learning how to keep an engine running and basic driving skills but dumping a ton of money on hop-ups into one is putting good money after bad. One you feel you've outgrown the speed of your current car, a complete upgrade to a race-grade car will be money more well spent because then you'll have better shocks, etc all in one shot.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:28 PM
Tech Rookie

I've looked constantly for reviews on the pulse...no one really says anything negative about it besides the servos arent The greatest. The way I looked at it was once the engine gave out I would invest in a better one but I did not want a kit. I wanted a good solid rtr.....would you of said the d8s was a better choice and y
Old 09-13-2012, 02:45 PM
Tech Champion

No, it is a solid RTR, I'm not criticizing your choice in that. What I'm saying is that in general, hopping up an RTR is going to cost you more to still wind up with less than just moving on when you've outgrown your RTR.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:54 PM
Tech Rookie

Cool i completely understand thanks!
But I seem to be pretty happy with how this one works and am very satisfied with it being my first one and i still feel like i want to beef it up looks wise and rigidity....so do you have any recomendations as far as where i can find aluminum hub braces and stuff that are compatible cause ive done tons of research and all i can find are the spares and fibers options from HPI but thre must be other things that will work with this vehicle.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:06 PM
Tech Rookie

will parts from the stealth xb work?
Old 09-14-2012, 01:10 PM
Tech Champion

You are probably going to be limited to HPI's own line of aftermarket parts until/unless the cars' sales really take off. RC manufacturers generally don't consider cross-compatibility in their designs and with the only Pulse related thread I could find in the Nitro OffRoad section having only one, unanswered post, it looks like you might just be the pioneer in the field. Some stuff made for the Hot Bodies' cars may fit but without one of each in front of you, it'd be very hard to say what.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:15 PM
Tech Rookie

Yea I saw that post so i tried to be a little more descriptive to see if i get any responces and im thankful I did. Pretty much im waiting for it to arrive and i will be collaborating with a local hobby shop about my vehicle and i also have a friend that works on cnc mills that would be able to produce milled versions of different pieces if i can find correct schematics, but my main concern out of all mods was the shocks and shock caps...i really want to make the shock caps an alloy version to stop it from grinding down when the rc is flipped and i wanted to make the bore a larger one from 15 mm to 17mm.... so far it seems like some other shocks from different places might work but im not quite sure yet...whats your experience in this?
Old 09-15-2012, 08:56 PM
Tech Champion

Shocks can be surprisingly universal if the lengths are close. Otherwise, it sounds like you may just become both the cars' main consumer and manufacturer of the aftermarket stuff you want
Old 09-15-2012, 10:14 PM
Tech Elite

I'll try and reinforce what Mark is most delicately trying to tell you without hurting your feelings. We all loved our first RC car, we always will and for many of us it was an expensive learning exercise clouded by the huge BUZZ and rush of RC passion. We had a lot of apologies to make to other experienced RC racers that were very similarly "gently gently" trying to persuade us that we best not spend too much money on it.

If spending $1000 on a race bred kit with the best materials isn't what you want to do, it's likely to cost you $2500 and a lot of frustration to achieve the same result hopping up.

We're all like minded RC enthusiast, we share a common interest and only pass the best information we have to those new to the hobby. Please don't take offense and I hope regardless of your own decisions, which are up to you of course, you have a great time!!
Old 09-17-2012, 04:35 PM
Tech Rookie

I really do appreciate you guys filling me in...i am aware about the costs involved with upgrading them and its something that I feel that I will learn to adjust with my next builds but the reason i chose this car is that it seemed to be a solid car but with a small fan base and i felt like it could be a cool car to fix up which i will probably do as I break in my skills with this new hobby. Im not affraid of the costs of maintanance or repair in long term. I was more worried about short term because im a college student that makes good money but not with short term spending so investing is a better outlook with me. The car comes in tomorrow and im sure i will love it and im looking forward to the repairs and hassles it comes with...i actually enjoy trying to figure out whats goin on and how to prevent it....for instance i want to change the clutch shoes and fly wheels but without the vehicle i dont kno what works best. my next vehicle will probably be a losi kit or a hobao ss...mugen seems to be way too racer inclined but i dont want to get that meticulous it seems to take the fun out of it in my noob opinion.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:09 AM
Tech Rookie

So my Pulse came in the other day got it broken in and started bashing around. Now i gotta say this car chas some pretty serious punch with this nitro star .28 engine in it. I think i will be investing in some of the titanium hinge rods and so forth but i did notice one thing i dont like and thats the front suspension arms....the composite one already broke on my front end and im kinda ticked about it so i believe i will be getting a basher bumper. i filled the shocks with 40/40 oil and redid the diffs with new silicone 5000cst. In the near future i will probably put in some new savox servos and upgrade the remote and the clutch. but im still pretty upset about the suspension arms and again i ask if thes even a close fit from another buggy such as the
d8s or the trophy that come in aluminium or should i expect all the composite ones to act similiar. I should of purchased the d8 because that was my second choice because it had more option parts but i still am satisfied with what i got. U live and u learn.