Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A thought on Cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 05:32 PM
Tech Regular

Default A thought on Cleaning

I have read many posts and answers on how to clean a dirty car. As an aircraft mechanic of over 11 years I can't help applying a principle I learned years ago. Do not contaminate bearings with anything other than the lubricant for that bearing. Sounds simple but here are my ideas which I would like to hear comments on.
I would not use Simple Green because it is meant to break down grease and dirt. So, applying it to a part which houses a bearing or near it will cause the bearing lubricant to be removed.
I would not blow air towards a bearing, this causes small dirt particles to be forced past the seal and into the bearing. Normal running will get dirt next to the bearing but blowing air will force dirt more into the bearing.

Basically, I just brush off my RC cars and apply WD40 or 3-in-1 oil onto the outer edge of the bearing to soak in.
I do not use any lubricant or fluid near electronics. I possibly see little harm in WD40 near electronics since it was made to be safe near electronics.

I would rather run my RC cars appearing a little dirty than damage bearings and have to replace them often.

Your ideas/ comments?
Old 09-11-2012, 05:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I take the shields off my bearings, blast them with brake cleaner or nitro cleaner, then re-lube them.

After 2-3 times, I replace them.

Just what I find works....running offroad, there is SO much dirt that if you don't clean them out, you will find that they are done after a few race days anyway.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I tend to use compressed air and/or a brush/putty to get dirt off of most things. Then I'll blast one shot across the bearing area to blew most stuff away from it. So far so good, I've done this with 10th scale 2wd buggy, 4wd sc, and 8th scale ebuggy without issue thus far. I generally end up replacing bearings after a while just to be on the safe side, or when they're worn, when I'm doing work around them for some other reason.