Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
LiPo charge Q & How to apply blue thread lock Q >

LiPo charge Q & How to apply blue thread lock Q

LiPo charge Q & How to apply blue thread lock Q

Old 08-20-2012, 12:42 PM
Tech Addict

Default LiPo charge Q & How to apply blue thread lock Q

Hello,

The club recently recently put in an RC car track beside the airfield, and after it being up and running for about two weeks I couldn't resist getting in on that action.

I have an RC8.2e RTR coming Friday, and have read a lot about going over all the various parts with blue lock tite on RTR cars. Is there a .PDF or step by step guide somewhere on what and how to go about this? I don't know what parts people are referring to.

LiPo charger question: This powersupply stuff has gotten be a little confused, so I was wondering if there is a way to make it easy on myself:

Is there an AC/DC charger than can handle two 5000MaH 4S packs at the same time? I am looking for a charge time of about two hours. All the one's I've found that are AC/DC can only do one pack at a time.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Devin
Hello,

The club recently recently put in an RC car track beside the airfield, and after it being up and running for about two weeks I couldn't resist getting in on that action.

I have an RC8.2e RTR coming Friday, and have read a lot about going over all the various parts with blue lock tite on RTR cars. Is there a .PDF or step by step guide somewhere on what and how to go about this? I don't know what parts people are referring to.

LiPo charger question: This powersupply stuff has gotten be a little confused, so I was wondering if there is a way to make it easy on myself:

Is there an AC/DC charger than can handle two 5000MaH 4S packs at the same time? I am looking for a charge time of about two hours. All the one's I've found that are AC/DC can only do one pack at a time.
Hitech's X2 and X4 series will charge 2 or 4 packs at a time respectively and are available in AC/DC models. They're pricy but good equipment. You could also just buy two cheaper AC/DC chargers.

For threadlock, if you read through the instruction manual for the kit version of that car, you will see a little threadlock symbol at various places. I'd advise adding threadlock to those screws you can get to easily and keeping an eye on the rest. No use completely disassembling your RTR right after you get it.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I agree with the above about the chargers. With your requested 2 hour charge time, most 50watt per output chargers (such as the mentioned AC hitecs) will do that just fine for a 5000mah 4s battery. It is when you want to charge at full 1c rates (aprox 45 min charge time depending on how depleted you go) that you want an 80+ watt per channel charger. Those tend to only come in single charger with ac power, rather than a double (which is too bad, 'cause I was looking for one and would've bought it a couple weeks ago if it existed and I could find it). Since I already have one of the x4 hitecs (which I like a lot), I just got a 90 watt single battery charger so I could charge 1 4s pack quickly. The other 4s packs that I charge (aprox half c) in reserve for later races and the 2s packs (aprox 1c) I use for 10th scale I charge on the x4 hitec.

As far as thread lock, it will work anywhere there is metal on metal, but not metal on plastic. Generally it is used for things like set screws and motor mounts that adjust mesh. You can see what it is recommended by the manufacturer for your car based on the manual Mark linked to.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:23 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks for the info, just discovered another quesiton: The chargers never specify what clips they have. The buggy's ESC comes start with a Deans Ultra Plug, and I can order the batteries like that. How do I know if they will work with a certain battery charger?
Old 08-20-2012, 08:06 PM
Tech Elite

Pretty much every charger on the market has plugs to accept 4mm banana plugs + a balance port. For the main charging ports, you should be able to easily buy the plug type you want (or make it by soldering 2 wires to a connector and bullet/banana plugs), as this is a fairly standard thing. Here's one of those. Balance plugs may be different types, but there is almost always a balance board you can get for whatever type your battery has on it. Balance boards are sometimes specific to your charger brand though, so try to stick with a board from the same manufacturer as the charger. If they have boards though, they should come in all the common types (XH, JS, etc). The top few here are examples of that for Hitec chargers, though just about any brand will have similar for their own.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:22 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yeah deans are hard not to find
Old 08-21-2012, 06:39 AM
Tech Addict

What is this balance board you are talking about? I haven't came across this in my searches on LiPo charging info. Do I still need it if I buy a charger that will balance the LiPo for me before it finishes?

Thanks for showing me that plug adapter for Deans, seems pretty straight forward.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:04 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Devin
What is this balance board you are talking about? I haven't came across this in my searches on LiPo charging info. Do I still need it if I buy a charger that will balance the LiPo for me before it finishes?
These are examples of balance boards. Your charger will come with something resembling one and 98% of the time, you won't need to buy a different one.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:34 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by MarkA
These are examples of balance boards. Your charger will come with something resembling one and 98% of the time, you won't need to buy a different one.
Thanks for the link's guys. I was confused as what to get, but looking at batteries the local guys recommended, it says right in the battery description what type of board connector it takes. No one at field mentioned the balanced board to me so that's why I've sounded confused.

Am I going to need help modifying the connections on the battery pack regardless? Getting the charger, ESC and batteries to all lign up isn't working very smooth. I was hoping to be able to order these soonish so I could run the car when it arrives, but I am now wondering if I should ask for help soldering and changing the connectors. Is this something that is the norm?
Old 08-22-2012, 06:35 AM
Tech Addict

Update: I was able to find batteries that came stock from a Canadian supplier with Deans plugs at a decent price (can't ship LiPo's over the boarder since May), it just took ignoring google and cruising the Canadian section on this site. I'm now well set-up, thanks.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:03 AM
Tech Elite

Good to hear that you're all set!

As an aside, it *is* common to solder different connectors on batteries, based on whatever you've standardized on. You'll also want to solder things like the motor and ESC on kits, and motors (at least larger ones such as in 4wd SCs and 8th scale) are typically desoldered before doing a rebuild on them every few months, then soldered back in.

Soldering is still annoying to me, but it is common, and not hard to learn if you sit down with somebody who knows what they're doing for 5-10 minutes while they do it and explain why they're doing it the way they are.