Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lap counting systems???

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 08:11 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Lap counting systems???

Our local track (just started up) is lookin gfor a lap counting system, Our lhs can get a robitronics system for a 10' wide track with 10 transponders for around 800. Ive also looked into the i-laps system, they both seem to operate the same way (ir transponders) Im looking for feedback on either system, or recommend another (the track doesnt have enough funds to use a my laps system) It is a dirt, outdoor short course track. Most of our racers dont have transponders yet so we are not worried about racers having to buy different ones (or be pissed the one they have doesnt work).
Any feed back would be great, were tired of counting trucks by hand
Old 08-05-2012, 10:19 AM
Tech Regular

I had a small indoor onroad track for a few months and used trackmate
cheap system, cheap transponders,trackmate are great guys
it work great!
now my track is gone and i still have the system
i hope to get a track this fall and will order more transponders
the software is ok and work well for us (even with sound effects)

http://www.trackmateracing.com/shop/...?id_product=91
Old 08-05-2012, 11:49 AM
Tech Rookie

well we were just talking and it looks like were just gonna keep counting by hand untill next spring and then get a my laps/amb system if the people keep showing up.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

You will be better off getting an AMB system. Most of the racers out there already have an Amb transponder so they don't have to worry about getting another one. Plus with Amb you can mount the transponder anywhere in the car, you don't have to have a clear view of the sky to make it work

The only downside I see is what it costs. A good used system with updated software is going to run an easy $2000. And the transponder alone new is about $105 for a my laps. The Mrt is slightly cheaper. But it's the way to go!!
Old 08-05-2012, 12:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tran901
You will be better off getting an AMB system. Most of the racers out there already have an Amb transponder so they don't have to worry about getting another one. Plus with Amb you can mount the transponder anywhere in the car, you don't have to have a clear view of the sky to make it work

The only downside I see is what it costs. A good used system with updated software is going to run an easy $2000. And the transponder alone new is about $105 for a my laps. The Mrt is slightly cheaper. But it's the way to go!!
+1

Almost every racer uses an AMB transponder and in the long run for you it will help. If people start traveling to your track, they won't have to buy a new transponder just to race.