Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
help with gearing >

help with gearing

help with gearing

Old 09-25-2001, 03:47 AM
Tech Rookie

Default help with gearing

is there an easy to understand way of explaining gearing?
cos i am baffled by it all
i run in a tamiya only class with a tao4 pro but cant get my gearing to work with out generating huge amounts of heat from the motors one is a dynastock 27x1 and the other is an actopower 17x2 now i know that heat is bad so maybe i am puting to big a spur and/or pinion on the car? any one care to help with an easy explanation?
Old 09-25-2001, 04:29 AM
dtm
Tech Champion

Theres no real answer to your question because it does depend on a lot of factors, like size and type of track, weather temperature, how heavy you are on the throttle finger etc.

A good all round indication is to look at the brushes on the motor. If they are burnt (discoloured) then you have overgeared the car and really need to replace the brushes and use a smaller pinion gear (motor gear). When you get to the point that the brushes are only very slightly "darkened" then you have the right gearing for you!

What I normally do is get to a gearing where my brushes have just started to burn and then back off one pinion! You can do the same procedure in reverse too... start off with a small pinion gear and work your way up.

One last thing, make sure you let the motor cool down between each battery, because even if you have the right gearing, continous running will lead to excess heat and burnt brushes. Burnt brushes are no good because the natural lubricant in the material has been destroyed! However, a 27 turn should be able to take plenty of abuse before you get to this stage!
Old 09-25-2001, 07:19 AM
zxt
Tech Regular

Default Thanks for the tip

Cool!