Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
For the new guys in the hobby >

For the new guys in the hobby

For the new guys in the hobby

Old 08-29-2001, 03:27 PM
Tech Elite

angrymrsquirrel - That little smiley is sick dude.
Old 09-05-2001, 02:24 PM
Tech Adept

You Know just come here if you need any help!!! This is one of the best websites I know. The people here are awesome and always willing to help anyone.
Old 09-05-2001, 02:34 PM
Tech Master

Yea, and not trying to be a butt or anything but, please search before you post new topics, the same question usually comes up about once a week, and that clutters the board with useless posts.
Old 09-05-2001, 10:13 PM
Tech Elite

As the guys said before me Rcca is a great source as is this forum but I would also suggest browsing online rc shops like tower, stormer's, hobbypeople and horizon and so on. It helps you learn about products and basically know what each product's specs are and what it can handle so then choosing an esc or motor or so on is easier and quicker. I go to tower, horizon and stormer all the time not look for anything but just to browse.
Old 10-03-2001, 05:26 AM
Tech Initiate

Default yes mags are great but....

they are bias... i have been in this hobby for 12 years... see a lot of diffretn cars come and go... made a lot of mistakes... but what i would reccomend for newbies is to build your first car.... that is right BUILD IT!!!!... basically if you cant build it, you cant race it, nor can you fix it... if you dont have time to build it... you dont have time for the hobby... I am not trying to sound rude or harsh... just piping off bout the way I feal.... but I will say this... there is nothing like the fealing that you get when a car YOU buile WINS!!! or even just goes... and for true numbers 1 out of 10 new people in the hobby accually stay in it and 1 out of those 10 ever races so it seams that the racers are outnumbered... and that is why reputable companys such as AE and LOSI have rtr's...

oh yeah if you are going to a hobby shop to get help... or get something fixed... always take your car with you... I guarentee you that the guy behind the counter doesnt know what the part connected to the part is!
Old 10-03-2001, 06:02 AM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Re: yes mags are great but....

Originally posted by tc3driver
oh yeah if you are going to a hobby shop to get help... or get something fixed... always take your car with you... I guarentee you that the guy behind the counter doesnt know what the part connected to the part is!
Yes, always bring the car! Almost every day i get the guy who comes in. "I have that one truck, and i broke that one part that the things connect to." Its like... Hmmm... what part could that be... ANY! So we usually work with him describing the truck, get boxes down, look at pictures, schematics ect. But please get a part number, or know the name of the part. I can usually translate "The things that the little shock things are connected to" = Shock Tower, but after that its pretty vague!

I always try to suggest a kit unless he wants something like a T-maxx, where there is no kit like it. When you get a kit you learn so much more that the guy who gets a RTR. When you break it, you can fix it. 90% of the repair jobs we do are RTR's. Get a kit, take your time putting it together, and learn the car. It is the best thing you can do for yourself. Am i saying RTR's are bad... No I'm not. The TC3 RTR is really the best deal out there for RTR sedans, and they are pretty popular, but i would rather sell someone a TC3 Racer than a RTR.... and thats me... personally..
Old 10-03-2001, 06:09 AM
M 5
Tech Regular

tc3driver: with 12 years of experiencing in RC, I can say you know nothing about RC.

Why people who buy RTR cars cannot race it? I think this is a real good way for people who have no idea about RC to participate in races. Nowadays these RTR are race-ready. Newbies will enjoy big time with these new RTR.
An hey come on when you wanna give examples give some better ones, name me a new RTR made by LOSI and AE.
I tell you who makes most RTR, Traxxas.

1 more thing, I guarentee you that most of the guys in an R/C shop knows "what the part connected to the part is"

Last edited by M 5; 10-03-2001 at 06:25 AM.
Old 10-03-2001, 06:43 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

M5: i think tc3driver has a point there. like, y are you interested in this hobby? it isnt becuase you enjoy driving the car, its that the case, driving real cars is more exciting!

we play rc because we want to enjoy the process of building the car, setting the car, tuning the car that fits our driving style. that is part of the hobby!

its true that ppl buy rtr cars, but i know a lot of people strip their rtr cars down and rebuild it...just to make sure that everything is in place and build right! this is what R/C is all about,

i really think that ppl who buy rtr cars and play with them right away isnt the type of ppl who enjoys R/C, the think that...if i crash this car, ill just go out and buy another one...simple as that!

i strongly suggest that people who is interested in this hobby but a kit where you build yourself, that way, you understand the structure of the car better, understand how the car works, so in the fulture, you could fix your car with ease!
Old 10-03-2001, 08:19 PM
Tech Initiate

Default the most doesn't mean the best!

having spent more than my fair share of time behind the counter of a hobby (still am if you must know), having also worked on the manufacture's side of the hobby too...

so if you know what the part connected to the part is... tell me I would love to know cause I sure as heck dont know it! adn i doubt you do! (yes I do get questins like that at work, and they dont know what type of car it is iether) so you tell me....

as I stated b4 there is nothing like building your own car... and traxxas really sux... if I were forced to buy a rtr at the moment it would be the duratrax evader st, it is based on the losi xx and on the demo car and we cant break it.... but off the rtr's

I am more worried about the hobby losing the "hobby" part... not much of a hobby when all you do is break your car and buy another one... hell might as well be toys-r-us!

yes RC is about fun... so is the boy scouts... but (I think) that they come with a bit of work... a boy scout has to EARN a patch... they both should be a learning experiance... I remember building my rc10 with my father... and mabey some kids will never experiance that... but you get nothing from a rtr... nothing but problems.
Old 10-04-2001, 07:16 AM
zxt
Tech Regular

Wink I agree with TC3

when I got my forst RC I thought of letting my friend to build it for me...but I said to myself "what the heck, le me build it" and I'm glad I did! There's nothing sweeter than putting the last part of the kit...painting and putting the decals on to your RC body...

and besides...you'll know how to fix if you break something...

Last edited by zxt; 10-04-2001 at 07:28 AM.
Old 10-04-2001, 11:02 AM
RCTech Member #2

Like you guys have said, you don't get as much out of a RTR as you would your own kit. I also work at my LHS, and i would rather see a kid build his car. I built my first car, and i am glad i did. I would never be at this point if i kept with RTR cars.

You learn so much more when you build your kit, but if you feel you want a RTR, it is a good way to get started in the hobby. RTR's arent all bad... But they arent always the best choice.
Old 10-04-2001, 02:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

I've been in R/C for about 8-9 years. I've only been going to tracks, for about 2. First, I got a rtr Stampede, then a rtr Rustler, a rtr Street Sport (see a pattern yet?), then a used B2. I was actually somewhat "afraid" of kits. I didn't think I could build one. Finally, I helped a friend build a kit Rustler, and realized there's really nothing to it. So, I bought a XXXT. Now I LOVE to build kits! It's half the fun. My only regret is that I would've started kits sooner. I always wanted that XXTcr Graphite Plus sitting on the shelf, but didn't think I could build it. If I would've gotten into kits, and more serious kits sooner, I might have gotten into racing a couple years sooner, and might be alot better right now..... But, life is full of if's, should haves, maybes, etc... Get a kit soon. Learn it inside and out, and you'll have alot more fun.

RTR's are great for people who just want to have something to play around with in their yards, or something like that, and they also can save lots of money if you're on a tight budget. But, I think kits teach you much more respect for your equipment, and give you much more understanding of What-does-what, and "How do I fix this part?" It's worth the time and money.
Old 10-05-2001, 10:11 PM
Tech Initiate

Default re: jeffc

hey man... tell and the rest of the rc world how good it fealt when you saw your car ( the one you built ) go arround the track for the first time... I know that is it almost in describable!!!!

but some good adjectives
astonishing
exelent
killer
sweet
proud
holy **** it accually goes (lol)

I really can tell you why I am against rtr, mainly it as turned LHS' into hobby shop/toys r us/service center/complaint department... now I am gonna really rock the newby world!!!!!!!!!!!

DONT BUY YOUR CAR AT LARGE CHAIN SOTRES!!!!!!!!!!!!! the main reason is that they are the ones driving the proces down ( not so bad right) but at what cost... we are losing mom and pops shops ( like the one that I work for) left and right ( so what you may say, who cares) I would like to ask you howmany chain stores do you know of that offer help and service, how meany teach you how to start a gas car, for free, howmany employ people who have any experiance... my LCHS (LOCAL CHAIN HOBBY SHOP) employs college studenst who know nothing about the hobby... about what they sell... all they care about is that they sell it!!!!! sell sell sell..... who cares if they stay in it!!!!

I DO
dammit!!!!!!!!!!!

this hobby is my love... it is my life... it is what I do well!

and it erks me to see a bunch of profiteering A**holes who dont give a flyen f what the hell happens to the hobby as long as it makes them a buck now!

I currently train, manage, teach, and service all kind of cars, customers, and employees at my mom and pop shop... and I do take down less than the LCHS employee... you know why cause I love this hobby!

and there is nothig that I love more than the look on a kids face when he comes in and says LOOK WHAT I BUILT! dad standing nest to him... with a ( he had a lot of help) smile....

I LOVE THIS HOBBY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and with that I end this post!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by tc3driver; 10-05-2001 at 10:13 PM.
Old 10-06-2001, 02:07 AM
Tech Elite

I believe that for your first R/C you should buy a kit, if you find out that you hate building then you know for the future to only buy or pre-built cars. As for Mom and Pop shops, well most are good but some are shockers, I have one near me that isn't really a mom and pop shop but isn't a chain and they make a bundle from people who walk in and say they want an R/C and don't shop around to find a good price first. I mean c'mon when a shop is selling the TL01 for $240 US you know there is something wrong. I like tower but If ever start racing and buy a sedan or a 1/12th scale I will probibly get it from the track that I will be racing at as long as the price range is less then $30 more or less, and if they are nice I will go back and buy from them again. Your right when you say that the big chains are killing the mom and pop shops but I think that the mom/pop shops with tracks will still live to see another day.
Old 10-06-2001, 09:20 AM
zxt
Tech Regular

Smile All I can say is

nice posts guys!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.