Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
How to determine mesh space? >

How to determine mesh space?

How to determine mesh space?

Old 10-14-2013, 07:31 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

This thread is full of good info.

Unfortunately, no matter what I do, I always seem to have something too tight or too loose. I will have to try a few of these tricks for sure.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TIME MACHINE
This thread is full of good info.

Unfortunately, no matter what I do, I always seem to have something too tight or too loose. I will have to try a few of these tricks for sure.
What brand spurs and pinions do you use? Most of the tricks in this thread should lead to a pretty good mesh. However, if your spurs or pinions are not perfectly round, you can create bind spots pretty easily.

My method is a bit of this and a bit of that. I start with the pinion all the way against the spur and the screws just a touch on the loose size to let the motor move, but not too easily. I spin the spur a number of times, so that if it's not perfectly round the "tighter" side will push the motor away as much as it needs to be. I then move the motor out just a tiny bit more and then go around the entire spur, a few teeth at a time, wiggling the spur back and forth against the pinion. I watch, listen and carefully feel to make sure that there is a little bit of play at every tooth. Once it looks good I tighten the motor screws about half way and re-verify that nothing changed. Once that's good I tighten all the way and check again.

I mostly deal with 64 and 48 pitch gears, but I've done the same with 32, which is honestly the easiest. Meshing 64 pitch gears is a lot of fun in an OCD kind of way for me

I, too, have been running the same spurs on and offroad for months. I usually go with Kimbrough spurs and Robinson Racing pinions, but I've also had good luck with Xenon spurs.