Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Is this hobby really expensive to get into or am I just spending too much money? >

Is this hobby really expensive to get into or am I just spending too much money?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is this hobby really expensive to get into or am I just spending too much money?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 06:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

haha, i started out running castle systems in my cars...after running a nice sensored set up, i switch all my cars over to sensored....that wasn't cheap. then i changed all the servos out..haha it adds up, but its fun for me!
Old 06-07-2012, 05:11 AM

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Grasschopper
Well I just sent payment for the XXX-SCT and TLR kit as well as recommended tires for "local" track...transponder and charger should arrive today and my batteries and motor shipped yesterday. Now all I have to do is pull the trigger on that A-Main shopping cart and order the ESC and I will be ready to get a second job to pay for all of this. j/k LOL
Congrats! I look forward to your future race reports

I should mention that, yeah, you're right, it does cost a bit to get started in this hobby. But once you have you're equipment, it really doesn't cost that much to keep going. There's always upgrades, new tires, bodies, parts, etc, but those things you can do as you want/can. Just be careful getting interested in a 2nd (3rd, 4th...) class!

Good luck!
Old 06-07-2012, 08:35 AM
Tech Elite

This is a very expensive hobby no matter if your racing or bashing. At the end of the day, the other 6,840,500,000 people on the planet looks at use like we are the craziest people on earth spending this kind of money on TOYS........ I dont buy all top of the line stuff, but 300-500 for a nitro engine or brushless set up is ridiculous, but I like my hobby. Cost is the biggest factor that turns people away from this hobby. Just yesterday I was breakin in my Nova and a neighbor came over with his wife and wanted to know how to get started. Once I explained everything to him, his wife was like, yeah right, I see you at home....ha............ no matter what you do, it is expensive.

As long as you are in this hobby, you will spend way more money than you have to. Parts, tires, oils, new ESCs and different motors, hopup parts, tools, magazines, that cool shirt with your car manufactures on it. No matter what it is expensive.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 187 (100%+)

Depends on what you are buying, and if you are buying top brand names, etc.

If you want to race on a budget it can be done for far less then what you spent.

I have a race ready losi scte i spent under $350 on RTR, yes it was used, but if you know what you are looking for, and pay attention it can be done.

If you spending close to $1000 on a 2x4 SCT then yes i dont think you are doing it "right" if "right" means being cost effective.
I'm sure i could put something together for under $500 if I tried without an issue.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Eddy Merckx... don't let the hipsters see that, they will try to steal it and make it into one of those brakeless fixed gear jobs . J/k, some nice bikes you have.

Radios.... You can pick up a used Airtronics M8 dirt cheap and it's still a pro-quality radio. Spektrum makes a module if you want to go sans crystals.

You might find out who some of the sponsored guys / hot-shoes that upgrade constantly, that is usually a good source of well maintained lipos that will still work well for getting started... they may sell them as soon as they lose that tiny bit of punch but you'll probably never notice. Just a few ideas on getting started cheaply. Once you get up to speed, you can scan Ebay and the FS thread for good deals, I haven't purchased brand-new in years . Well except for the MT-4 radio I bought from A-main recently.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:46 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by token
This is a very expensive hobby no matter if your racing or bashing. At the end of the day, the other 6,840,500,000 people on the planet looks at use like we are the craziest people on earth spending this kind of money on TOYS........ I dont buy all top of the line stuff, but 300-500 for a nitro engine or brushless set up is ridiculous, but I like my hobby. Cost is the biggest factor that turns people away from this hobby. Just yesterday I was breakin in my Nova and a neighbor came over with his wife and wanted to know how to get started. Once I explained everything to him, his wife was like, yeah right, I see you at home....ha............ no matter what you do, it is expensive.

As long as you are in this hobby, you will spend way more money than you have to. Parts, tires, oils, new ESCs and different motors, hopup parts, tools, magazines, that cool shirt with your car manufactures on it. No matter what it is expensive.

Theres no need to spend $300 on a ESC/motor combo you can get Hobbywing combos for around $220 for a 1/8 scale . But smaller scales you can get a good system for around $100 s .

My Truggy tires and Tires for my 4x4 SC last pretty long its when you buy super soft tires is what cost you in the short run. My parts last pretty long i dont buy the not needed things for my trucks ethier !
Old 06-07-2012, 03:51 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

900 is nothing. I think I have over $5k this year alone. The good news is, a lot of the purchases are one-time-only. Like your electronics, radio gear, and tools. I am also a cyclist .. im on a cannondale supersix.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kylar
Depends on what you are buying, and if you are buying top brand names, etc.

If you want to race on a budget it can be done for far less then what you spent.

I have a race ready losi scte i spent under $350 on RTR, yes it was used, but if you know what you are looking for, and pay attention it can be done.

If you spending close to $1000 on a 2x4 SCT then yes i dont think you are doing it "right" if "right" means being cost effective.
I'm sure i could put something together for under $500 if I tried without an issue.
Yea...honestly I was not about to buy someone else's used racer...it's gonna break. I seriously looked into it but the market is all over the map...and you don't know how the last guy put it together...what looks perfectly fine could have stripped threads all over the place.

$109.99 for the XXX-SCT roller was a good deal for new. The TLR kit is $129.99...never found a deal on that. 3 Lipos, 2 LiPo bags and a 17.5t brushless motor for $160 shipped didn't seem horrible but I might have been able to do better there...again all of this stuff is new. Onyx 245 charger for $90 shipped...could I have gone cheaper? Yea sure but I didn't. $90 for a new AMB transponder wasn't a bad deal. $65 shipped for the BH 120A ESC and LCD programer is a good deal. Then I have a cart at A-Main I haven't pulled the trigger on that is up to $330 with a ton of spares, wheels, tires, springs, shock oil, pinions, spurs, tools.

The only thing I got used here was the Onyx 245. The only thing that SHOULD hold me back now is my own ability which is how I want it. Could I have gotten a Traxass Slash RTR from Pep Boys for $199...yea sure but I wasn't going to win any races with it.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
900 is nothing. I think I have over $5k this year alone. The good news is, a lot of the purchases are one-time-only. Like your electronics, radio gear, and tools. I am also a cyclist .. im on a cannondale supersix.
You're my boy Blue.

I cried a tear when they stopped making C'Dales in Bedford. I had a made in PA Prophet 800 that like a fool I sold...have a F5 hard tail as my MTB now.

To put this in perspective the Giant was $2700 after my discount, MSRP on the wheels was $2k, upgrade to Red on the Giant was another $1k.

Fking hipsters better not go near the Merckx.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (82%+)

Hey bro I just wanted to tell you your in trouble !!!!! lol . That 1000 bucks aint nothin compared to what your gonna spend bro. parts ,tires, races, pop ups , servos ,esc, etc etc etc your gonna need a spare for a spare if you plan on racing . But it is an absolute blast man, im out right now due to lack of money/ work , but i'll be back real soon man. good luck bro.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Grasschopper
Fking hipsters better not go near the Merckx.

I live in Baltimore and bikes get stolen all the time...like my 29'er did... I only buy cheapo-bikes now. Back in Florida, I had a really nice Klein MTB that I should have held onto and converted into an urban bike of some kind. The tubing and welds were really good, it was a sweet bike, it was a mistake to sell it

And oh yeah, this town I'm in is hipster-hell.... ironic fashion / trust-fund dirt bags everywhere you look... trendy, vintage fixed gear bikes used for PBR beer runs only .
Old 06-07-2012, 08:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

I don't wanna start a $$ or brand debate but the hobby wing 1/8th combo on my emaxx is no way near the smoothness of my 1/8 LRP ix8 system. But I do see a lot of people running hobby wing hobby king combos very well. I just like the way Tekin/Lrp runs and the ability to change settings with ease
Old 06-10-2012, 06:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

To defend the hipsters (which I rarely do)... The reason they ride those bikes is because they get them cheap off guys who sell them to fund their purchase of the latest, greatest bike.

We're all the same whether it's bikes or RC cars. I've sold a ton of perfectly fine race cars just because I wanted or thought I needed something newer and better. And some of the vehicles I sold were never used for racing after that. Most likely turned into bashers.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:00 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

U can do it much cheaper. I started with a B4.1 RTR and with one lipo and a decent charger. I got a few must haves like the front brace, tie rods/RPM cups, and tires and a used transponder for around 500. And tires of course. I pretty much had all the tools needed from previous racing. I ran the stock servo, esc, motor, shocks and everything else for awhile and upgraded as I went along. So its completely up to u. Some stuff u can get used and some stuff I'd always buy new. But it is nice to have the top of the line goodies, but u don't have to have them to win. U mainly news lots of drive time. Good luck