Search

directional problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 04:54 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default directional problem

hi all

I am still new to the tc3 and am still trying to figure out all the dial ins and stuff but I am stuck on a major problem. I can never go down the straight away without drifting off to the right or left side.

I checked the droop on the front and the rear, I refilled the shocks and made sure the ride height was exact, I remeasured all the turnbuckels front and rear, i tried tighening and loosening the rear diff. I still drift to one side when I am on a straight away.

I try to compensate by changing the setting on the transmitter (i forget which one) but I don't care for that Idea because I feel it handycaps me. It should be easy to go straight right?

any help would be... well , helpfull

dave
Old 02-16-2005, 06:43 AM
Tech Elite

could be a couple of things.

first off make sure your sevo is centering correctly. next check all your front steering. disconect the servo and see if it swings from left to right freely. if not check for bad ball cup, overtighten rack. dirty rack, over tightened screw on the steering hub. Any kind of binding will make the car do what you describe
Old 02-16-2005, 07:12 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by howard hudson
could be a couple of things.

first off make sure your sevo is centering correctly. next check all your front steering. disconect the servo and see if it swings from left to right freely. if not check for bad ball cup, overtighten rack. dirty rack, over tightened screw on the steering hub. Any kind of binding will make the car do what you describe
A bad ball cup? thats connected to the turnbuckles right? You have a point about the steering. there is a lot of dust and hair in the steering rack. I cleaned it out and put some stealth lube in it but afte a while the dust and hair got worse. I'm guessing its an ongoing thing ?
Old 02-16-2005, 08:31 AM
Tech Elite

nooooooooooooooooooooo!!!! do not use any lube on the rack!!!! it will atract dirt . it must be dry and free. remember not to over tighten the two nuts that hold it in place. also make sure the rack itself is not damaged makes sure it is nice and streight
Old 02-16-2005, 12:37 PM
Tech Addict

Default Re: directional problem

Originally posted by Ridge_Racer
I try to compensate by changing the setting on the transmitter (i forget which one) but I don't care for that Idea because I feel it handycaps me. It should be easy to go straight right?
if you mean your trim you prolly do need to center it. what kind of radio do you have is it digital?
Old 02-16-2005, 03:22 PM
Tech Addict

What i think it could be is that your car could just be tweaked a little.
Old 02-16-2005, 06:01 PM
Tech Elite

If it was a tweak problem it would pull one way. His car is pulling left then pulling right, I have had this problem before and it was in the steering . I have had four tc3's over the years
Old 02-16-2005, 06:42 PM
Tech Addict

so yea then check fif its free and if you have too much slop anywhere and if your servo centers all the time.
Old 02-16-2005, 07:06 PM
Regional Moderator

The problem is probably in the steering like everyone else said. If you have tried adjusting the steering trim on the controller and still have a problem then start with the servo. Then the first thing you should do before trying anything else is removing the servo horn from the servo, then center the servo by the steering trim adjustment on the controller and place the servo horn back on as straight as possible. If you have problems after that then check everything else.
Old 02-16-2005, 07:15 PM
Tech Elite

You guys crack me up He already said he had hair and gunk on the rack. then cleaned it worked ok but now is back to the same problem because it is full of gook again ya ok maybe it is the servo

Iam so outta here
Old 02-16-2005, 08:31 PM
Tech Addict

lol no wonder. you have over 2k posts here. you arent a rookie in either doing or helping rc stuff lol. shoulda noticed. so yea, to round this thread up, its your steering rack. dont put anything on it, it will attract dust and hair and carpet and w/e else there is to attract and will jam and bind and you wont go straight and hit a wall or a couple and wont be happy haha. hope its just the rack gunk.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:30 AM
Tech Regular

Default Thanks all

Thanks to all. I have a list of things to try out to get my car to go straight. I gotta be ready for the midwest touring series in april.

thanks again
Old 02-18-2005, 09:02 PM
Tech Regular

ok all here is the deal with the steering rack.

I do not like the way it swings from side to side. It is suppost to swing freely but with all the cups disconnected the rack still gives me some resistance. Its kinda like running over some speed bumps when I move the rack from right to left and back again. I am thinking of replacing either the rack itself or the 1/8 x 1/4 steering rack bearings. I tried to wipe off the dirt from the bearings with a paper towel. Can I use motor spray on these bearings?

comments ?
Old 02-21-2005, 10:35 AM
Tech Regular

hi all !

I ended up sanding the steering rack untill it moved from side to side without issue. While I was putting the car back together, I relubed the rear diff and cheched the a-arm pins. There is one that still needs sanding but I was told to not sand the hinge pins connecting the a-arm to the blocks. Just thought I would update everone and thanks everyone for the help.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:34 PM
Tech Elite

yo ridge you have PM check your box

Last edited by howard hudson; 02-21-2005 at 07:46 PM.