Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Batterys UGH

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 06:39 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Batterys UGH

My son and I have 4 cars, and these batteries, the smallets battery in the worst rated car last the longest and by the way the car is the most fun also. Should his Traxxas 3000MAH 8.4 be lasting only 15 minutes in the 2wd slash?

It is 25 days old, could the battery already be having issues?

See below for cars batteries and times they last doing about the same things as each other.

Traxxas 2wd Slash - 3000MAH 8.4V Battery 14 minutes maybe

Arrma Fury 2wd - 3000MAH 7.2V Battery Duratrax 19 minutes

Exceed Sunfire 4wd - 1800MAH Exceed Battery 21.5 minutes

Thunder Tiger 2wd Phoenix - 2500MAH Venom Battery 20 Minutes

FlapsFury
Old 05-10-2012, 08:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

[QUOTE=flapsfury;10717969]My son and I have 4 cars, and these batteries, the smallets battery in the worst rated car last the longest and by the way the car is the most fun also. Should his Traxxas 3000MAH 8.4 be lasting only 15 minutes in the 2wd slash?

See below for cars batteries and times they last doing about the same things as each other.

Your slash has the strongest/fastest of the vehicles listed at 12 turns. I believe the arrma is a 17 turn, the pboenix should also be a 17. I am not to sure about the exceed but most likely a 15 turn. The lower the turns, the faster the vehicle will go and more power it will need and use.

The run times you are seeing are actually fairly good with the atteries you are using.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:38 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Thanks for the info, but one more ?

How come when we try to race them, I say try cause were both still learning.

The Arrma ties the Slash, the Exceed beats everything and the Thunder Tiger is just a tad slower.

He has not been happy with his traxxas, it should be faster he thinks than it seem to be and he thought the battery should last longer, but it sounds like maybe 14 minutes is ok.

Any ideas if he added a 5000MAH 8.4V Batt, could he get closer to 30 mins, is that how it works?

Thanks, FlapsFury
[QUOTE=ercwhtsd;10718477]
Originally Posted by flapsfury
My son and I have 4 cars, and these batteries, the smallets battery in the worst rated car last the longest and by the way the car is the most fun also. Should his Traxxas 3000MAH 8.4 be lasting only 15 minutes in the 2wd slash?

Your slash has the strongest/fastest of the vehicles listed at 12 turns. I believe the arrma is a 17 turn, the pboenix should also be a 17. I am not to sure about the exceed but most likely a 15 turn. The lower the turns, the faster the vehicle will go and more power it will need and use.

The run times you are seeing are actually fairly good with the atteries you are using.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

With batteries, there are a few numbers that matter. mah is one of those, and is the capacity of the battery. The higher that number is, the longer it will run in a given vehicle, so you're on the right track. Different vehicles will pull different power requirements due to weight, drive train resistance, rotational mass, and motor power.

My examples are brushless, but should help illustrate the above a bit.
My 2wd Slash with a 5000mah pack running brushless (castle SCT combo with their 1410 4 pole) gets about 25-35 minutes, depending on how hard I'm driving it on what surfaces.

My 4WD Losi SCTE running the same packs, with a Tekin RX8/Pro4 combo only gets about 8-9 minutes.

My Slash is a tiny bit faster for top speed in a straight line due to the gearing and weight difference, but much slower around a track, due to higher center of gravity and 2WD, with a little less instant acceleration.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:49 PM
Tech Elite

Traxxas are the fastest RC cars out there out the box. In order to get the speed you want, look into a Traxxas brushless system and a lipo battery.

the lipo batteries have no competition with power are run time. My son and I have the Losi SC Trucks which we just use in front of the house and we run for at lease 30 mins per pack. They are both the brushless additions and they are so fast they just flip over when you give it full throttle.

We run Losi 2S Hard Case 30C Li-Poly Battery Pack (7.4V/6000mAh)

I swear we can run 40 mins if I gear it down..