Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need help with Brushless Setup

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 09:57 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Need help with Brushless Setup

Hi, pretty much a n00b here. About 6 months ago I bought a used traxxas xl5 rustler/stampede hybrid from a guy. Soon after blowing through a couple of brushed motors, I upgraded to a Velineon system... I might have pulled a rookie mistake and left the battery pack plugged in overnight and ruined my speed controller.

Instead of buying a Traxxas ESC I purchased a sidewinder SV2, soldered new bullets on it to match the Velineon 3500... Programmed it, and it works... well kind of...

One problem that I have is that the truck is stuttering a bit before it really starts to roll.

I have also noticed that it takes a good 20 minutes of 'warming up' before the thing gets wide open as far as speed is concerned... and even then it still stutters.

I'm running 7 cell NiMh batteries...

I bought a new battery just to make sure that wasn't my issue. so far I have no idea what it could be. I checked all of my connections, used silver solder to make the connections, all contacts are clean...

I've rebuilt the transmission, replaced all planetary gears etc, new spur gear, pinion gear, made sure the slipper clutch is not too tight.

Anything that I know about Radio control is thanks to Google and YouTube. I'm not finding an answer for this one guys. Any help would be well appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:31 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I'll throw it out there... Maybe your NiMh batteries aren't providing enough power for that ESC which (I believe) is intended for LiPo batteries? I'm sure someone with more knowledge could chime in here. But hey, it's a starting point. Maybe try a 2-3S LiPo?
Old 04-29-2012, 04:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

The stuttering from a standing start and/or low speed is likely the "cogging" that happens with sensorless brushless setups. There's no way to fix that.

However, make sure you have the lipo lvc on your ESC disabled. If that's on and you use a NiMH pack, as the pack experinces a load, it can cause start-stop issues as the ESC mistakes it for a dying lipo.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:29 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 252 (100%+)

What are you running for gearing? Do you have the castle link for programming? You probably need to gear it down a little and maybe try less timing which will help with the cogging.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Definitely get a LiPo. iirc, the SV2 is not a happy camper with NiMh batteries. I know the MMM is not, and that is a "big brother" to the SV2.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MarkA
However, make sure you have the lipo lvc on your ESC disabled. If that's on and you use a NiMH pack, as the pack experinces a load, it can cause start-stop issues as the ESC mistakes it for a dying lipo.
+1

its probably the lipo cut off is enabled make sure to disable that if using NiMH packs