Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another Nitro Vs Electric question

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 01:23 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Another Nitro Vs Electric question

I searched but didnt quiet get what Im looking to find. I got out of the hobby for 10+years ago and always wanted to get into nitro but been thinking of getting into 4wd electric.I understand things break,wrecks happen,wear out etc but what is more likely to have something go wrong and harder to get back running if parts for both or readily available?And what would be cheaper to maintain?I really pushing for nitro and I understand they need tune ups and can be hard to start but always seems like alot that goes wrong is something major and most of electrics is something alot the lines of broken shock tower.Thanks for all responses.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

In both electric and nitro, you'll have 2 categories of issues:
Chassis/roller (such as the mentioned shock tower)
drive train

For the drive train, nitro has an actual combustion engine that you're keeping tuned up, maintaining, etc. It can have all the issues associated with that.
For an electric, the issues are usually battery or bearing wear unless you shorted something out. In both electric and nitro you have to do appropriate things with gearing/tuning to manage how hot they run.

All in all, get what you like and what you can run in races often at your track. If you like nitro, you'll probably enjoy that tuning and maintaining aspect of it, just as people do for full size cars.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:01 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by stinkoman
I searched but didnt quiet get what Im looking to find. I got out of the hobby for 10+years ago and always wanted to get into nitro but been thinking of getting into 4wd electric.I understand things break,wrecks happen,wear out etc but what is more likely to have something go wrong and harder to get back running if parts for both or readily available?And what would be cheaper to maintain?I really pushing for nitro and I understand they need tune ups and can be hard to start but always seems like alot that goes wrong is something major and most of electrics is something alot the lines of broken shock tower.Thanks for all responses.
There are many variables that differ between an EP and an Nitro car. The real question is whether those attributes that make Nitro more demanding could be part of the preferred experience.

One major attribute to Nitro is that we can refuel and have endurance events, EP is often a sets of 5 minute sprints and if that format of racing is more appealing in terms of father/son mechanic/driver, then Nitro is more attractive.

The reality is that EP batteries, digital ESC and brushless sensed motors have all improved to a level of performance where SPEED is no longer the issue. As for which costs more, that's always been and always will be entirely up to the individual. No matter which you choose, there's always someone with a better battery, ESC, motor and the choice to keep up makes EP expensive too.

Nitro does cost more, there's transmission, clutches and additional consumables and tools which do add to the shopping list. We use more shells and spend more time maintaining the car. The noise and the smell does count as does enjoying the challenge of tuning precision high performance engines.

You can get quality, performance and precision models for the same if not cheaper than you'd pay for a plastics only car 20 years ago. Best to see which club suits you best, see what they're running and if you like it, join in, EP or nitro.. it's all good
Old 04-04-2012, 12:19 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by blis
There are many variables that differ between an EP and an Nitro car. The real question is whether those attributes that make Nitro more demanding could be part of the preferred experience.

One major attribute to Nitro is that we can refuel and have endurance events, EP is often a sets of 5 minute sprints and if that format of racing is more appealing in terms of father/son mechanic/driver, then Nitro is more attractive.

The reality is that EP batteries, digital ESC and brushless sensed motors have all improved to a level of performance where SPEED is no longer the issue. As for which costs more, that's always been and always will be entirely up to the individual. No matter which you choose, there's always someone with a better battery, ESC, motor and the choice to keep up makes EP expensive too.

Nitro does cost more, there's transmission, clutches and additional consumables and tools which do add to the shopping list. We use more shells and spend more time maintaining the car. The noise and the smell does count as does enjoying the challenge of tuning precision high performance engines.

You can get quality, performance and precision models for the same if not cheaper than you'd pay for a plastics only car 20 years ago. Best to see which club suits you best, see what they're running and if you like it, join in, EP or nitro.. it's all good
Im not sure, Im familiar with both. I wrench on my EP just as much as my Nitro. Ill take buying fuel and air filters while running ALL day. To $100+ EP battery packs that are only good for 15-20 mins.. Im not sure what tools are different as I use the same for both....
Old 04-04-2012, 12:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by token
Ill take buying fuel and air filters while running ALL day. To $100+ EP battery packs that are only good for 15-20 mins..
True but the $100 lipo will/should outlast a dozen gallons or more of $25+/gal Nitro. And how often do you run for more than 15minutes at a time other than a main event?
Old 04-04-2012, 12:42 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MarkA
True but the $100 lipo will/should outlast a dozen gallons or more of $25+/gal Nitro. And how often do you run for more than 15minutes at a time other than a main event?
About 3 times a week when in season. I run until my RX pack is done.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

I can tell you from my experiences with both that Electric anything is 3 times less expensive to race given the exact same time on the track.

1/8 has more tire wear, fuel, air filters, glow plugs, chassis wearing out, clutch shoes and bells plus bearings.....

I love racing Nitro 1/8 but it is expensive.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:19 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by token
Im not sure, Im familiar with both. I wrench on my EP just as much as my Nitro. Ill take buying fuel and air filters while running ALL day. To $100+ EP battery packs that are only good for 15-20 mins.. Im not sure what tools are different as I use the same for both....
Clutch and engine tools... Tyre truers as well... then there's the added solvents and cleaners... And you still need to charge batteries too. Yes, it's more expensive in nitro, but as I said, it really depends what you want to get out of it and how much you want to put into it. I know many nitro 1/10th onroad drivers that spend less than high end EP runners.

In any sport racing is expensive by default, overall EP is cheaper, individu ally either can be more expensive than the other. If we want to be competitive and be kitted completely, I could spend as much on electronics, gearing, batteries, chargers, soldering stations, soldering tools, crimp and wiring tools as well.

The point I'm trying to make is that, you could use a pair of nail clippers to do your wiring, or put the engine in an oven to remove the bearings. Alternately, you could buy all the right tools and be up for expenses in excess of either a chassis engine/motors etc, so it's entirely up to the individual to what level he/she wishes to develop their tool kit.

Which leads me to ask.. Is it the type of car or owner's expectation?