Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Please help!  Losi xxx sct steering >

Please help! Losi xxx sct steering

Please help! Losi xxx sct steering

Old 03-20-2012, 01:42 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Please help! Losi xxx sct steering

Hey all, so I'm fairly new to the whole rc world about a month into it, and new to the forum. So let me start by saying nice to meet you all. I am having a issue with my losi xxx sct steering, it seems it is favoring one side more then the other while turning. I have been checking the turnbuckles and adjusting those but doesn't seem like anything is changing, I adjuated the horn on my servo but nothing happened when I lined it up to drive straight. Anyone have any advice or something I might be able to start at and work my way down list? I'm gettin hi tec 7955 tg hoping that will help with quicker response on turns. Anyway, anything would be awesome. Thanks
Old 03-20-2012, 02:15 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bossman83
Hey all, so I'm fairly new to the whole rc world about a month into it, and new to the forum. So let me start by saying nice to meet you all. I am having a issue with my losi xxx sct steering, it seems it is favoring one side more then the other while turning. I have been checking the turnbuckles and adjusting those but doesn't seem like anything is changing, I adjuated the horn on my servo but nothing happened when I lined it up to drive straight. Anyone have any advice or something I might be able to start at and work my way down list? I'm gettin hi tec 7955 tg hoping that will help with quicker response on turns. Anyway, anything would be awesome. Thanks
did you take the servo horn off, make sure the servo is straight with all left or right adjustments set to zero then put it back on and try it?
Old 03-20-2012, 02:30 PM
Tech Initiate

I took off the horn and tried that, I am going to double back and try adjusting stuff again then see how it runs at the track. Hopefully I will be able to figure it out. Sucks I can't make it to the track til Saturday to test though.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:33 PM
Tech Master

I took off the horn and tried that, I am going to double back and try adjusting stuff again then see how it runs at the track. Hopefully I will be able to figure it out. Sucks I can't make it to the track til Saturday to test though.
also another thing to check would be servo endpoints on your radio? this could be the reason it turns more to one side then the other. and yah having to wait to go to the track sucks
Old 03-20-2012, 05:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcduder
also another thing to check would be servo endpoints on your radio? this could be the reason it turns more to one side then the other. and yah having to wait to go to the track sucks
I met him at the track and I did check all the endpoints but it didn't help at all, I dont really know how to mess with short course truck though any input from anybody that has same issue would be great!
Old 03-20-2012, 07:04 PM
Tech Champion

When you say favoring one side, do you mean the steering is going farther in one direction than the other? More to the left?

Or is it a handling issue, the truck responds better in one direction than the other?
Old 03-20-2012, 07:32 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Dave H
When you say favoring one side, do you mean the steering is going farther in one direction than the other? More to the left?

Or is it a handling issue, the truck responds better in one direction than the other?
That's exactly what it is, when I try to make turns it is great one way then it goes wide the other.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:40 PM
Tech Master

That's exactly what it is, when I try to make turns it is great one way then it goes wide the other.
it could be camber, toe in, shock positions( like which hole there mounted in on each side) possibly one of the sides is built different then the other like the caster blocks or the axle carrier is upside down or backwards, maybe an arm is upside down it could be any of those things also maybe different weight shock oils by accident

hope this helps at all
Old 03-20-2012, 08:26 PM
Tech Initiate

Smile

Lol, half that stuff I'm gonna need to look up. Prob more then half, I will try getting some oil and changing them in the shocks to see if that helps. I will get some pics and post them up so you guys can see. I'm pretty sure I have stuff setup right for the most part. Thanks for all the help everyone. I really do appreciate it
Old 03-21-2012, 06:09 AM
Tech Champion

The amount of left-right steering travel can be adjusted by changing the starting position of the servo arm and the length of the link between the servo arm and bell cranks.

You mentioned adjusting the turnbuckles, the left and right ones going out to the wheels should be the same length.

If you have more left steering than right, remove the servo arm and move it a spline towards the center of the truck. Then shorten the link as required to get back to straight steering, as close as you can without any radio trim. If still more left, try moving another spline over. Then use radio trim for final tweaking of straight.

The servo arm should be leaning in towards the center a little, not straight up, when the wheels are straight ahead. The reason is the link is not level, the servo arm end is higher than the bell crank end, steering in either direction levels the link and causes some left steering. If you start straight up it adds to left steer and takes away from right steer. Starting the servo arm at a slight angle offsets this effect. It will also make on center steering more equal.

This is a common situation on most RCs except for pan cars. Many do not have fully balanced steering linkages. Note some are opposite in effect , such as the TLR 22, same concept but works the other way left-right, as it doesn't have bell cranks that reverse everything. Takes a little time to get it even, but it is well worth it in how the RC drives.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:33 AM
Tech Initiate

sweet, thanks so much guys! i am going to try that all tonight when i get off work. I did notice that my shocks are leaking the oils. So i am going to try and get some aluminum ones to replace the stock ones that came on the truck. any recommendations on the oil i should put in the shocks. I haven't looked in the book yet, but i will do that once i get home. Hope i can find some different shocks today, that would be awesome. Again thanks guys and i will post what happens when i change everything. i will also post a few pics up of how it looks now and how it looks after i switch stuff so you guys can actually see and get a better idea of what i mean. Sorry for all the questions just trying to get all of this settled and learn more about everything.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:48 AM
Tech Master

sweet, thanks so much guys! i am going to try that all tonight when i get off work. I did notice that my shocks are leaking the oils. So i am going to try and get some aluminum ones to replace the stock ones that came on the truck. any recommendations on the oil i should put in the shocks. I haven't looked in the book yet, but i will do that once i get home. Hope i can find some different shocks today, that would be awesome. Again thanks guys and i will post what happens when i change everything. i will also post a few pics up of how it looks now and how it looks after i switch stuff so you guys can actually see and get a better idea of what i mean. Sorry for all the questions just trying to get all of this settled and learn more about everything.
if your shocks are leaking then yah for sure it could be your shocks maybe one is leaking faster then the other so it is getting dry and not working properly. and no problem man ask all the questions you want thats what this forum is all about