Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Noob to Electric, Is this deal good. >

Noob to Electric, Is this deal good.

Noob to Electric, Is this deal good.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:26 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)
Default Noob to Electric, Is this deal good.

I am a noob to the electric scene but I think I found a deal I can not pass up.
He wants $300 for all of the below items.

It is two Traxxas Slash's 2x4, One is upgraded quite a bit and the other is the Raptor edition, Both are 1/10 Scale.

The First Slash is missing a Receiver / Transmitter but I have an extra from my nitro Cars (Traxxas TQi 4 Channel) It has a 10.5 Velineon Brushless motor and a castle esc. A new transmission and upgraded suspension, Including new shocks. (Very Dirty in Photos)

The Second Slash (Raptor Edition) is missing a Receiver / Transmitter (Have an extra transmitter) It has a Velineon Brushless motor but is missing its ESC

I also have 2 11v 2s 6000Mah Lipos and 2 11v 3s 6000Mah Lipos already in my possession. Also already have a balance Charger.

To get up and running for both trucks I would need to purchase, 1 ESC
Old 03-19-2012, 09:59 PM
Tech Regular

Traxxas are good for bashing, but not as good for racing. If you want to race look for a XXX-SCT, SC10, etc..
Old 03-19-2012, 10:52 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

I just bash a bit of racing, but I need to know whether $300 is too much for these 2 trucks.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:57 PM
Tech Regular

Its a fine deal for those trucks. I just know most people who buy traxxas are disappointed if they ever plan to race them. I'd personally buy one good truck, then two traxxas, seen lots of good deals on here.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I would agree with Preston. I bought a Slash thinking I would bash it to re-learn how to drive and teach my wife, and then go to the track with it.

Remembering to drive was quick, trying to make it race with other SCT's never worked out well, despite a lot of funny business to lower the center of gravity (without an LCG kit).

A used RTR Slash in good condition should come in about 125-150. There are some upgrades on at least one and they're brushless, but they don't include everything. I'd call it a fair deal, but nothing earthshatteringly good, as it seems more like 1 truck and a bunch of assembled spare parts.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:09 PM
Tech Regular

I would be worried buying trucks from bashers too, you have no idea how beat to hell it could be. Id much rather spend the $300 on something from a racer that spends time rebuilding and taking car of their truck. I know after I am done winning the local race series this week I plan on selling my SCTs w/ full TLR kits installed. I am willing to bet someone in your area probably is selling their stuff at a good deal too. Like I said the best 4x2 trucks are the SC10 and the SCTs (upgraded) You could easily find one of those with a good system in it for less then $300
Old 03-19-2012, 11:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I'd argue that for racing, the Kyosho 4x2 is arguably the best. But all 3 of them are perfectly capable of winning.

If these are being bought to bash though, the SC10 is probably the least durable out of the box. The Kyosho is one of the more durable, but also one of the more expensive to repair. For a reasonable bash truck that can also race reasonably, HPI is worth looking at. The big thing though is to find out which trucks your local hobby shop stocks parts for, so when something goes wrong you can go grab the part and keep going.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:19 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by justpoet
I'd argue that for racing, the Kyosho 4x2 is arguably the best. But all 3 of them are perfectly capable of winning.

If these are being bought to bash though, the SC10 is probably the least durable out of the box. The Kyosho is one of the more durable, but also one of the more expensive to repair. For a reasonable bash truck that can also race reasonably, HPI is worth looking at. The big thing though is to find out which trucks your local hobby shop stocks parts for, so when something goes wrong you can go grab the part and keep going.
I agree on finding out what your local hobby shop carries parts for, and purchase that one I also can't say much about kyosho not many racers I know use them, all I know is they are expensive. heh
Old 03-20-2012, 06:38 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Good deal if it's local to you. I wouldn't buy those unless I could check them thoroughly- how are the half-shafts, do the motors work correctly, etc... My Velineon always ran hot in my Slash, plenty hot enough to cook it if you didn't pay attention, so you need to make sure the motors are good as that's an expensive part to replace.

For a basher, I'm not sure the Slash can be bested. Mine takes hits that are unbelievable, lands on it's wheels (when I'm lucky ) and drives away.