Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
If your new and want to say hi, post it here >

If your new and want to say hi, post it here

Like Tree41Likes

If your new and want to say hi, post it here

Old 07-23-2021, 04:22 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hello RCTech forums! Long time lurker, first time caller here!

Little bit about me? Well, I used to race 1/10th electric back in the early 90's as a kid. My RC vehicles were 1) the Kyosho Hi-Rider Corvette (via the Ultimate Combo from Tower Hobbies--yay!), 2) the Schumacher Pro-Cat, complete with the rubber-banded front end, and 3) the Schumacher Couger II, which was an awesome kit. Those were the gold old days when I mainly had to pick between what batteries I wanted to run, i.e. SCR or SCE cells and how many turns were in the motor! However, about the same time M.C. Hammer was dancing his way to bankruptcy, I was looking to buy a nitro vehicle. I lusted heavily for the Kyosho Rampage. After analysis paralysis and deciding it was too expensive (lawnmowing money can only go so far), I decided on the Cougar II instead. About 1993-1994'ish, I got out of the hobby.

Since I never bought the Rampage, I've been nagged ever since with a mild case of regret. I have always thought about what it would be like to own/drive a nitro RC vehicle! The feeling never left me...

Fast-forward to 2020, and I decided to take the plunge and get back into RC! I bought a Kyosho MP10, because of the Turbo Burns/Inferno heritage (loved all those pictures!) and I always thought Kyosho made a good kit.

I decided to join the forums and become a member to ask follow-up questions to a lot of dead threads with seemingly no resolutions. A lot of threads die off, sometimes with confusing information, that is....well...confusing me now!

Seems like the bulk majority of data on this site, as far as what I am looking for, is between the years 2007-2015 (kinda outdated by now), with a hot-spot around 2010-2011. Furthermore, a lot of products that I, we, read about are extinct and no longer available.

So here I am! Hope to learn! Thanks!
Old 07-25-2021, 08:20 PM
Tech Rookie

Hello RC community!

Im 40 years old and haven't touched an RC car since I was probably about 14. Started out back then on a Tamiya Grasshopper and upgraded that to an RC 10. Loved it but discovered girls or something and sort of just sort of fell out of it. Couple of months ago bought an scx-24 crawler and started upgrading it. Got the bug again and decided to invest in a TLR 22X-4. Having a blast putting it together and realizing the my previous experience counts for nothing. Looking forward to learning a ton and meeting some new people!
Old 07-31-2021, 06:44 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Geekyhodad View Post
Hello RC community!

Im 40 years old and haven't touched an RC car since I was probably about 14. Started out back then on a Tamiya Grasshopper and upgraded that to an RC 10. Loved it but discovered girls or something and sort of just sort of fell out of it. Couple of months ago bought an scx-24 crawler and started upgrading it. Got the bug again and decided to invest in a TLR 22X-4. Having a blast putting it together and realizing the my previous experience counts for nothing. Looking forward to learning a ton and meeting some new people!
Welcome to the forum! Your story is like mine, as I am sure is like many others out there. Something inside of us--maybe a pandemic-infused mid-life crisis?!?--brought us back to the R/C hobby. I'm 41, and got back into the hobby last year after nearly 30 years. My last vehicle was a Schumacher Cougar 2, and I was swapping AM radio crystals to race, and the only main concern was do I run SCE or SCR NiCd batteries and charging them only takes 8 minutes with my Tekin charger!

If you paid attention back then when you were 14, which I'm sure you did, that experience indeed DOES account for something. It's the same hobby. Things have changed, yes, but you learn from your mistakes regardless of what decade it was in.
Old 08-02-2021, 08:39 AM
Tech Rookie

Hello everyone. Im new to the forum, but not new to RC. My last kits before I left the hobby was AE TC3, Tamiya TA03r, and HPI Sport 2 Pro. After finding my kits buried in the garage, I decided to clean them up and run them. Now, I'm hooked again. I miss the whole process of putting kits together, tuning, and club racing. There's a lot to digest in the forums in regards to new tech. Looks like I'm going to spend some here to learn about new stuff and hopefully get some races in before summer is over.
AHR43 likes this.
Old 08-14-2021, 06:41 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by darkme8t View Post
Hello everyone. Im new to the forum, but not new to RC. My last kits before I left the hobby was AE TC3, Tamiya TA03r, and HPI Sport 2 Pro. After finding my kits buried in the garage, I decided to clean them up and run them. Now, I'm hooked again. I miss the whole process of putting kits together, tuning, and club racing. There's a lot to digest in the forums in regards to new tech. Looks like I'm going to spend some here to learn about new stuff and hopefully get some races in before summer is over.
Welcome to the forum!
Old 08-20-2021, 10:22 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Justskidding67 View Post
Hi everyone! Iím new to the forum and looking to get into r/c racing. Only driven other peopleís cars but have never owned my own. Have always been interested in r/c cars but recently a couple new tracks have been built locally and driving by both tracks on my way to work has gotten me really interested in the racing scene. Iíve been learning so much info from this forum and canít wait to get racing
Glad to have. I am new to racing and new to to rc too...
Old 08-27-2021, 03:08 AM
Tech Rookie

just wanted to say hi!
Old 09-01-2021, 09:20 PM
Tech Rookie

Hello to All,
New to RC. Have been active in 1/32 slot cars, but am branching out to RC now. Currently have an Arrma Typhon 3s, built a Tamiya 1/10 Ford GT TT-02 (still need to paint the body), and am now building a TA-07 Pro chassis.
Old 09-08-2021, 07:18 AM
Tech Rookie

Hey all! Pretty much new to RC. I had a Bandit about a decade ago and sadly never properly got into the hobby, but I'm looking forward to diving in properly this time round! Mainly doing 1/10th offroard stuff. I've been messing around learning some car mechanics and thought it was about time to get hands on.

I have a Kyosho ZX-5 kit with (I hope!) all of the electricals. The few bits I'm missing (grease, some tools, batteries) are coming in the mail so I'm starting on it as soon as they arrive. Definitely forsee issues with troubleshooting the very old electricals (DX3R transmitter, LRP X20 motor). Excited to learn from you all and will do my best not to necro some ancient threads. Cheers!