Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
If your new and want to say hi, post it here >

If your new and want to say hi, post it here

Like Tree40Likes

If your new and want to say hi, post it here

Old 05-30-2021, 10:49 PM
Tech Rookie

Hi,

I am a new member and, up front, I would like to apologize if what I am about to ask has already been discussed many times.

I have a number of tin toys, many from the 50s, some with what is called a “mystery action” (two extra wheels underneath to get the car turned around after bumping into furniture).

These are mostly about 1:18 scale. In particular I have a very beatiful 1955 Ford Thunderbird where the mystery action has been “removed” by a curious prior owner / child.

I would like to convert this Thunderbird — and a few others — in to an RC car.

I thought the easiest way would be to buy a similarly sized current RC car and do some “surgery” (I am very handy with modeling, etc.). I looked up on Amazon and various hobbiest sites for a suitable “donor.” Problem I encountered is, anything available is very basic — they cost $18 to 30 and I know from experience they will have poor speed control and inaccurate steering and of course nothing like a differential or suspension. I know this will take me hours of work and I would rather produce something I will be proud of.

So, the query — is there a kit to fit my needs or a sufficiently advanced RC toy I can use as a donor?

I will much appreciate
Old 06-09-2021, 05:52 PM
Tech Rookie

Default New guy in MA

Hello!

I used to be into RC cars back around '04 with a Traxxas Rustler and bashing in a friends yard. I recently got back into the hobby by purchasing a 1/12 scale 4wd buggy off of BangGood. It was fun, but I knew I wanted to do some racing so I bought a Team Associated SC6.2 and just finished building it last week and currently thinking about building a 2WD Buggy. I live in central MA and about 40 minutes from RC Excitement, about an hour from Wreckless Hobbies, and about 50 minutes from RC Karcz.

I'm gonna be heading down for the races on Saturday at Wreckless.

I would like to meet up with people that are familiar with building and racing since I feel like I'm doing a lot of guessing with the setup.

Nox
Old 06-17-2021, 01:12 PM
Tech Rookie

Hi all, I'm new here.

I used to have an Assoc. RC10 that I loved 'back in the day' so I bought a Reflex 14B and am impressed! Nice little car.

I tried posting in the 14B forum in the Micro-Mini sub-forum but something about a moderator is supposed to check it, I guess?? Anyways my oost didn't show up. Maybe just need some more posts?? IDK I was able to start a thread in the forum tech section for help.
Old 06-17-2021, 07:38 PM
Tech Initiate

Hi from Australia!

Used to be in the hobby ~15yrs ago racing 1/10 onroad both electric and nitro.

Local club nowdays is offroad so I am going to give that a try.
Old 06-25-2021, 05:57 PM
Tech Initiate

Default New and Hi

Just got into RC and having a blast! We got some rcs from Walmart and also from a Traxxas dealer: a Monster Jam Megalodon, a Brocky, a 1/16 Slash and two 1/10 Slash 4x4 VXL s. We've raced the 1/10s at RC Underground Inc. in Warren, MN. Very friendly and helpful group.

I'm learning a lot: adjusted gear mesh, replaced a steering block, shock spring retainers and oil - trying not to break things. It's pretty relaxing.

Glad to have you all online. Thanks for the informative discussions!
Old 06-26-2021, 01:00 AM
Tech Rookie

Talking Gday

Gday.
I raced RC buggies back in the 80s as a teen.
I have been doing crawlers for a couple of years recently and now want to get back into buggies again.
Looking to buy a good 4wd buggy to get at it again without going all out on a pro racing rig.

will post photos once i have permission.

Old 07-01-2021, 07:22 PM
Tech Rookie

Hi. I'm getting into indoor buggy racing and have found this site to be very informative. I recently bought a B6.2.
Old 07-04-2021, 12:42 PM
Tech Rookie

Default The new guy

Just wanted to say hello to all. I'm new to the site and to the RC drag racing world. Trying to learn what I can and figure out what to build to be competitice.
Thanks
Old 07-11-2021, 03:22 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Returning to the hobby.

Hey everyone, i'm Nick.

I got started in the hobby when i was a teen, with my father. He wanted to get into a hobby that would be fun for both of us, and that we could build a bond from it. So he bought a cheap 1/10 Nitro touring car from ebay, and from there we were hooked. We built our stable up to 4 Team Associated TC3's. That gave us both a main car, and a backup. We were racing every weekend in the parking lots of Hobby Town USA in Virginia Beach and Hampton, VA. I learned a lot in those parking lots, and me and my father grew closer together in the process.

I joined the Navy once i turned 18, and ended up leaving the area for 4 years and i would end up leaving the hobby. The Navy brought me back to the hampton roads area of Virginia. This time, there was a big RC shop (Debbie's RC World). Man, this place had EVERYTHING. There was an outdoor onroad track (it was beautiful), an outdoor 1/8 offroad track, a outdoor drag strip, and an indoor clay offroad track. I would spend saturdays there, watching the various racing going on, and ended up falling in love with the Short Course trucks. Not long after, i wound up buying myself a Team Associated PROSC 4x4 truck. I had some fun with that thing, and even won a few heats. I was hooked, AGAIN.

A couple years later, my wife and I had our first Son, and the racing went from every week, to maybe once a month, to every blue moon. Before i knew it, I was out of the hobby. I wanted to stay in, but being a young family, we were pretty tight on finances.

Fast forward a few years. I'm finding myself going back to the area, and getting back into the hobby. This time, BUGGIES. I cant decide between the 4 main chassis. (Xray, Tekno, TLR, and TA). I'm leaning towards the TLR, but i'm going to wait to see whats run at the local track. All thats left is an indoor carpet track now, so my options are pretty limited.

Any advice or personal experiences towards either chassis, I would love to hear them.
Old 07-12-2021, 06:02 PM
Tech Rookie

Hey good people, new here just gathering information for a new rc car, great information here.
Old 07-12-2021, 07:02 PM
Tech Rookie

Default New to the forum and to the sport!

Hi everyone! Iím new to the forum and looking to get into r/c racing. Only driven other peopleís cars but have never owned my own. Have always been interested in r/c cars but recently a couple new tracks have been built locally and driving by both tracks on my way to work has gotten me really interested in the racing scene. Iíve been learning so much info from this forum and canít wait to get racing
Old 07-20-2021, 06:16 PM
Tech Rookie

Cool Hello!

Hi guys

I am new to the forum but not really new to RC. My first RC is a RR10 Bomber which I bought RTR 4 years ago (kit version was out of stock).
Ran it on water (did not maintain it) and it was fully rusted in and out. Basically it is a new RC car as I have fully restored it! SS screws, new and upgraded parts, Mamba X, 2400kv motor, new Rx Tx, KMC 2.2 beadlocks, Hyraxes, fully upgraded (aluminium axle housing, HD axles and differentials, HD driveshafts, aluminium transfercase and transmission housing, HD gears, aluminium panels and all those shiny bits). A bit labourious IMO because having to threadlock and check screws if still there after running the car is painful - I learned this the pretty hard way after noticing missing screws after the runs. Just recently bent the front axle and the replacement is on its way!

I recently bought my very first kit, and second RC that I am in the middle of building: AE B6.3D. I'm new to the racing side of RC.
Wow it is complex - the setups, and things I have to learn is pretty overwhelming.

So many rookie mistakes have been made during the process but I learned tremendously from those!
Definitely learned to read the first part of the manual to make sure I have everything like greases and specific tools (these are mentioned on the manual/assembly guide).

This hobby is crazy the deeper I go I reckon. Wonder how long I can keep it because racers seem to upgrade yearly? I like the idea of keeping mine for the longest time possible without having difficulties with spare parts etc.

Last edited by RB_8420; 07-20-2021 at 06:28 PM.
Old 07-21-2021, 07:09 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Total noobie simon

Hello everyone my name is Simon I'm 41 and from the UK,I have just recently really discovered the world of RC and it's something that I'm really interested in getting into as a hobby,at this stage I must admit I know absolutely nothing other than the components inside an RC that make it run but I don't know how these things work,I have 0 knowledge of the electronics that go into them so it's kind of a little overwhelming at the moment,I do wish to learn and get into RC cars mainly so I'm hoping I can be pushed in the right direction to learn.

As my starter vehicle I chose a wltoys A959 is it from bang good as it's just a little one to start me off it's cheap and also I've heard it's quite upgradeable so thought it might be a good start,

My objective is to learn the controls and gain enough knowledge to upgrade this car,then I wish to gain enough knowledge to increase the distance of how far it can be controlled to about a 1 mile radius and gain enough knowledge to fit an fpv system as I think that would be fun but that's kind of my end game to learn and be confident enough to engage in these kind of projects.

Is there anyone out there who is willing to push me in right direction.

Kind regards
Simon the noobie king
Old 07-23-2021, 12:34 AM
Tech Rookie

Default SeriaCrasher

Just wanted to say Hi as I just joined the forum.

I am 45 y.o and am from Switzerland (French speaking part).

I am more into electric RC planes/seaplanes but I also have an electric offshore boat and recently bought two Nitro cars (a Reely Gen X and a Hobao MT). Nitro is good fun, the smell and the noise are unmatched. Still learning yet

Cheers

Last edited by SerialCrasher; 07-23-2021 at 01:15 AM.
Old 07-23-2021, 07:40 AM
Tech Rookie

I tried to share some pictures but I got following message "You are only allowed to post URLs to other sites or photos after you have made a certain number of posts. You have not reached that limit yet".
Do you know how many posts you should do before being able to post pictures ?
Txs

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.