Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Help with 1/8 buggy selection >

Help with 1/8 buggy selection

Help with 1/8 buggy selection

Old 03-15-2012, 06:21 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Help with 1/8 buggy selection

Hey all, first all im going to apologize and thankyou all in advance as I am sure you have seen a thread im about to put out there several times over.

I started a while back just buying an RC to putt around in, I ended up working my way to a Team Associated SC10 RS which I love, I have had tons of fun going to the track, meeting alot of the people around here and driving around. I love the truck it does well against my buddies 4x4 brushless slash and we run around and keep up with one another quite well. That being said I recently went to my local track in King NC who have new layout (Which is great by the way) and watched some guys that have put a lot more time and attention into this sport then I have reached driving around there 1/8th buggies.

I noticed on jumps where mine would just case and go straight back as soon as I got a bit too much air (Yes I drilled holes) that the buggy's would clear triples that I clear as doubles. Those things fly. They also seem to be a bit easier to control, not only in air, but in general. It made me get an itch for a buggy which brings me to this thread.

I am way to fresh in this sport to run with these guys I am sure, but I want to have a buggy (Preferably RTR)and definately electric that while I just use now for fun, I could for sure be competitive if I decided too, so I begged my wife a bit and told her how bad I need a new buggy and I have received a green light. The money isnt much of an issue, dont get me wrong im not trying to drop 1k or anything but somewhere in the middle and maybe a little bit upwards would be just fine. I have no dedication to any association so I have no bias, but keep in mind, im new, therefore I expect to tear a few things up in this process.. So things that dont cost an arm and a leg to keep up I would much rather have. And if you wanna sell me your stuff, get your sales pitch going. Im all ears, thanks for the help like I said before guys. Look forward to hearing from you.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I'm sure there are threads on this, but:

Feel free to watch most of the mainstream players in action in my youtube at the local track (also awesome), NorCal Hobbies.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

You'll notice that pretty much every car there has no problems running similarly (when driven and set up that way), and they're all of different makes with different motors and speed controls and the like too.

On the less expensive end you'll have things like the HotBoddies cars (which have recently had a flock of new folks using them at NorCal), then there's the Mugen and Associated and Losi cars, and at the upper end of the price range is the Kyosho. All are great, the Kyosho has the most high esteemed race winning history (and the highest price tag).

However, all of the buggies are conversions to electric from nitro, even if the manufacturer is including the conversion kit as part of an E package. One of the more popular of the third party conversion companies is Techno RC. I bring this up because in the next month or so, Techno is expected to finally release their own new 1/8 electric from the ground up car. Personally I'm waiting to see how that looks before deciding which one I want for myself.

In any case, welcome and enjoy!
Old 03-16-2012, 01:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Check out the hobby shop at the track you intend to run and go with something they have parts for.

I'm new to e-buggy and started with a losi and it's been great. Very solid so far and it's been easy to learn with right out of the box. I was so happy with it I've already picked up another from the for sale forum.

I would get a new one first if you can. The used one I picked up is in good shape but I had to do some work to get it to behave like the new one. I wouldn't have known how good it can be if I didn't have the new one to judge by.

I enjoy driving SC but the 1/8 buggy can't be beat if the track is big enough for it.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Yes, as Newlaw mentioned, make sure that wherever you are going to be running often stocks the parts of the cars you consider. If you want more help from the local folks too, it is worthwhile asking what they're running, as they can help you set up the car (suspension, etc) for the track conditions more quickly and easily if you run the same stuff.