Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Arms level in front, bones level in rear >

Arms level in front, bones level in rear

Arms level in front, bones level in rear

Old 03-12-2012, 10:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Arms level in front, bones level in rear

I hear this a lot, is this generally the starting point in setting up ride height in 2WD buggy?

What is the physics/geometry behind this giving it the base (ideal?) setup in terms of overall body, arms and bones alignment structure? I can see the rear bones/CVDs being parallel inline with the outdrives resulting in unrestricted centrifugal force through the bones to the wheel. With the fronts free wheeling what is the reason for arms level?

In what instances would one need to raise/lower the ride heights and deviate from the base setup?

And for 4WD buggy, the same goes for bones level front and rear?

Just interested to know the reason behind setting ride height instead of blindly following setup sheet

Thanks,

Last edited by gelshocker; 03-13-2012 at 02:57 AM.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:38 AM
Tech Initiate

lower ride height- higher corner speed on high bite tracks, better suited to smooth tracks, reduce traction roll, decreased traction on loose track.

Higher ride height- Less prone to bottoming out, better suited to rough tracks, increase traction roll, increased traction on loose track.

So in saying that you need to find a happy medium that suits the track your running on. I've found the best way is go the extremes of your settings feel the different changes either way and then determine which way you might prefer at the same time take track conditions into consideration. Small changes in ride height can make considerable differences in handling, inportant setting.