Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Carver style tires illegal for ROAR SCT? >

Carver style tires illegal for ROAR SCT?

Carver style tires illegal for ROAR SCT?

Old 03-11-2012, 05:18 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Carver style tires illegal for ROAR SCT?

JConcepts and others make a "Carvers" tire for the front wheels of a short course truck, like my 2 wheel drive Losi XXX-SCT. I've been told it's illegal in a ROAR approved race. Why?

My Losi 22 2wd Buggy seems to have the same kind of tire from the factory. Do I have to replace them with another for ROAR? Or because it came with the kit it is OK for race use?

What's so special about the Carvers ribbed tire? Why is ROAR is against it?
TakeAim
Old 03-11-2012, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator

I’m not positive on the exact ROAR short course tire rules, but there has been an effort to keep the scale realism that has been a big part of the phenomenon of the short course class. As far as I know full size short trucks don’t run ribs (probably because they have front brakes) or stud style tires that are common on other RC off road classes.

In general Carvers and other rib style front tires are legal for 2wd buggy and stadium truck. The exception is sometimes at big events there are declared spec tires in an effort to hold down costs, so you don’t have to buy a ton of tires to make sure you have the right ones. Usually in stock/sportsman classes, and sometimes they only specify the rear tires.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:14 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Thanks for the detailed answer.

Thanks for the great explanation. That's why you are a Tech Elite and I'm just a beginner with a lot of questions.
Take Aim
Old 03-11-2012, 10:57 AM

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dave H View Post
Iím not positive on the exact ROAR short course tire rules, but there has been an effort to keep the scale realism that has been a big part of the phenomenon of the short course class.
The exact ROAR rule for front SC tires reads:

"8.10.12.6.1 Use of ribbed front tires is inconsistent with a category that has achieved most of its popularity on the basis of scale appearance. Therefore, ROAR has decided not to allow use of this type of tire on this basis. Ribbed front tires and "dashed" ribs will not be permitted. The rules will favor scale tread patterns, but the front tires must at least feature a tread"
Old 03-11-2012, 01:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Local track rules?

If illegal for ROAR racing or tracks that follow ROAR rules, does that mean it is up to the other tracks their option to allow or disallow Carvers?
TakeAim
Old 03-11-2012, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by TakeAim View Post
If illegal for ROAR racing or tracks that follow ROAR rules, does that mean it is up to the other tracks their option to allow or disallow Carvers?
TakeAim
Some tracks are or are not sticklers for ROAR rules but that one's been pretty generally accepted to the point of where many tracks had actually banned them before ROAR did and those few tracks that allow them are far and few between. So, yes, your local track could allow them for club racing but I wouldn't expect it.

FWIW, I doubt they're an advantage anyway. Ribs on the front of my stadium truck are consistently way slower than anything with a pattern and I'd expect that to carry over to SC as well.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Better tire than Carvers-style for Losi 22 Buggy fronts?

Should I then consider a different front tire for the 1/10 Losi 22 2wd Buggy? Right now, the fronts are JConcepts Groovy, #3004, and the rears are JConcepts Double D's, 3007.

I always wondered about the fronts not having a usual patterns found on most 2wd front tires.
TakeAim
Old 03-12-2012, 06:28 AM
Super Moderator

Difficult to give tire recommendations without running on the same track. Really have to go by what works at each track. Ask around, the faster guys, race director, local hobby shop, what works there.

In general treaded fronts work on hard pack-blue groove and clay tracks, ribs on loose loamy track conditions. But not always, at the recent Worlds in Finland most everybody ran ribs, that track looked pretty hard pack as I remember. I've been to other big races that were similar, blue groove, but the fast guys still ran ribs.

Best to have both options available. Again depends on the track, better to ask around locally, but at several I've been to lately the Proline MC Scrubs have worked well, might be a good add to your Groovys.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:28 AM

Yeah, the post above mine pretty much sums it up but to add, buggy is a very tire-sensitive class. I wound up with five different pairs of fronts when running buggy and that was all for the same indoor track. Different compounds, inserts, etc.; it was maddening compared to the set and forget nature that SC was.