Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Tire balancing, worth the time >

Tire balancing, worth the time

Tire balancing, worth the time

Old 03-10-2012, 10:41 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Tire balancing, worth the time

I ordered a Top Flite magnetic bearing balancer (for props) and tossed a set of Dirt Hawgs 2.2 buggy wheels/tires on it and balanced the things. The difference is night and day. Before when I lifted the buggy off the ground to spin up the wheels it shook some, the suspension arms would vibrate and you could see the non concentric spin of the wheels. After maybe 20 minutes with some sticky sided lead tape I mounted em back up and tried a test spin, and it was smooth as silk. The only vibe the car has is from the motor itself, more of a thrum than a shake and the wheels spin perfectly "round" if that makes sense.

If figure with less shake it'll be less prone to vibrating loose screws and bolts and the bearings should last longer. For 19 bucks it's a helluva tool. Now when I let off the throttle at full clip (while holding it up) the drivetrain takes about 15 seconds to spin down, a marked improvement. Less wasted energy in trying to spin unbalanced wheels=longer runtime as well, likely not much but any helps. I managed to nail a brick in my driveway while fiddling about and snapped a shock shaft, LHS has none so I get a 4-5 day forced vacation from playing. Time to break out the airbrush and do some detailing I guess.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by malinios
I ordered a Top Flite magnetic bearing balancer (for props) and tossed a set of Dirt Hawgs 2.2 buggy wheels/tires on it and balanced the things. The difference is night and day. Before when I lifted the buggy off the ground to spin up the wheels it shook some, the suspension arms would vibrate and you could see the non concentric spin of the wheels. After maybe 20 minutes with some sticky sided lead tape I mounted em back up and tried a test spin, and it was smooth as silk. The only vibe the car has is from the motor itself, more of a thrum than a shake and the wheels spin perfectly "round" if that makes sense.

If figure with less shake it'll be less prone to vibrating loose screws and bolts and the bearings should last longer. For 19 bucks it's a helluva tool. Now when I let off the throttle at full clip (while holding it up) the drivetrain takes about 15 seconds to spin down, a marked improvement. Less wasted energy in trying to spin unbalanced wheels=longer runtime as well, likely not much but any helps. I managed to nail a brick in my driveway while fiddling about and snapped a shock shaft, LHS has none so I get a 4-5 day forced vacation from playing. Time to break out the airbrush and do some detailing I guess.
I looked at all of my tires last season with a balancer and I notced that when I had uneven ware with a tire, the balder side of the tire was always the heavy side.