Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Getting back into RC > Getting back into RC

Getting back into RC

Old 03-09-2012, 05:29 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Getting back into RC

HI all,
Just wanted to post in the newcomers section. Was intro Nitro 1/10th scale RC about 10 years ago and got out. Recently I pulled everything out of the attic and tried getting back into the swing of things only to find everything I have is way outdated, and electric had become the king of RC it seemed. Crawling was not around nor Short Course (still trying to figure out the attraction to this), Drifting was just getting started as was Rally (which it seems has all but dropped off the radar).

current garage includes:

RC10GT (not the 2)
T-Maxx .15 with an OS CV-X 15
HPI Nitro M/T with a Fantom FR12
HPI RS4 Pro with an OS CV-X 15
Electric Rustler (I just converted this to brushless and 2.4Ghz)
Nitro Rustler hangar queen

and they all run except for the Nitro Rustler.

As it happens I've found myself seeking out 1/10th scale projects and rollers, just to build them up and make them run around my track in the back yard. One aspect though that kinda bugs me is that the market for bodies seems to not be there anymore. I always enjoyed painting them up and stuff, but I can't seem to find anything genuine for a few of these trucks that were pretty popular back then. any insight?
Thanks for having me.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:35 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by EXKid View Post
HI all,
Just wanted to post in the newcomers section. Was intro Nitro 1/10th scale RC about 10 years ago and got out. Recently I pulled everything out of the attic and tried getting back into the swing of things only to find everything I have is way outdated, and electric had become the king of RC it seemed. Crawling was not around nor Short Course (still trying to figure out the attraction to this), Drifting was just getting started as was Rally (which it seems has all but dropped off the radar).

current garage includes:

RC10GT (not the 2)
T-Maxx .15 with an OS CV-X 15
HPI Nitro M/T with a Fantom FR12
HPI RS4 Pro with an OS CV-X 15
Electric Rustler (I just converted this to brushless and 2.4Ghz)
Nitro Rustler hangar queen

and they all run except for the Nitro Rustler.

As it happens I've found myself seeking out 1/10th scale projects and rollers, just to build them up and make them run around my track in the back yard. One aspect though that kinda bugs me is that the market for bodies seems to not be there anymore. I always enjoyed painting them up and stuff, but I can't seem to find anything genuine for a few of these trucks that were pretty popular back then. any insight?
Thanks for having me.
well it may just be because they are fairly older cars and your best bet for finding bodies would be ebay
Old 03-09-2012, 06:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Proline, J Concepts, Traxxas all offer bodies and many can be used on different chassis. Some are designed for a specific product and by drilling the mounting holes in a different location can still be used for other chassis.

Short Course revived off road and basically kept it from falling off the planet. It is popular because it looks like real racing trucks, is inexpensive (relative to pro "stuff", and doesn't break easily.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:42 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by nutz4rcyktw View Post
Short Course revived off road and basically kept it from falling off the planet. It is popular because it looks like real racing trucks, is inexpensive (relative to pro "stuff", and doesn't break easily.
Ok that makes sense. Tough to imagine off road going in the tank, given where it was when I left. Nitro Stadium trucks were really popular.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

The big attraction to short course is that, at least earlier on, it was fairly innexpensive...and it was/is tough as nails.

I've seen some amazing things with SC trucks that I'm surprised they weren't snapped in half, but they just drove off from. One of the marshals tripped and fell on one, as an example. Another one was sitting up in the driver stand (a good 2nd floor+ height) and got a radio binding messed up so went flying off full speed and crashed into a tractor at the end on the ground. Both drove away fine. I prefer to throw mine on the 1/8 scale track, and occasionally I'll miss and go over the edge of a jump down into a bad hard pit. Only thing I've ever had to do was tighten up some screws that worked out over time.

That being said, I'm only using short course as my "gateway" RC until I get my driving form back (been about 15 years), then I'm gonna start running the buggy I'm building up (Kyosho RB5).

They're all fun, and at least around here Nitro (1/8 off road, and whatever touring car is for pavement onroad) is making a comeback. Electric became all the rage when brushless motors and LiPo batteries hit the scene and started allowing more power and much longer run times.

Welcome back!