pro-tek saddle pack lipo connecting question

pro-tek saddle pack lipo connecting question

Old 12-18-2010, 04:45 PM
ekv
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default pro-tek saddle pack lipo connecting question

hey all,

this is the first time i've used a saddle pack, picked up a "ProTek R/C 2S "Supreme Power" Li-Poly 45C Hard Case Saddle Battery" (can't post links yet, part number "PTK-LPH-5200-2S45-SP") from amain the other day. it states on their site the battery is set in parallel, however i've found conflicting information on series versus parallel configuration.

this pack comes with a deans connecter, one red male banana plug from the deans [positive], one black male banana plug from the deans [negative] and then a black wire with a male banana plug on each end. with the two packs, would i wire this up like so: deans (+) -> (+) pack one with red wire, deans (-) -> (-) pack two with black wire, and the free black wire connecting from (-) pack one to the (+) of pack two? wouldn't that be a series connection though?

any help would be appreciated.

thanks
Old 12-18-2010, 05:20 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

This is your lipo (have to have 10 posts to post links) -

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...hROAR-Approved

I read AMains ad on it and I don't see anything about being in parallel. Theoretically, they could do either, but if this is series, then each saddle is 3.7v and 5200mah since only voltage changes when combined in series. Note than this harness comes with a balance connector. Leads me to beleive this is series.

If it were parallel where each saddle was 7.4 and 2600mah (only capacity changes when combined in parallel), they would automatically be balanced whenever they were connected. So charging them would not require a balance connector.Going to be easy to tell when you get them, just measure the voltage, which is something I always do with a new lipo.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:19 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3Rr4...layer_embedded

This may help a bit.

Its not the same brand, but the guy shows how to wire in series and then explains what you would do to wire it parallel.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:01 PM
Tech Initiate

ekv-

What you described is a series connection. Look on the packs themselves for the battery description. It should read something like 1S3P or 1S2P, some saddles are one cell in terms of voltage(few cells in parallel really) and that short jumper wire is intended to make the saddles a series connection. If for whatever reason the INDIVIDUAL saddle reads 2S (or anything besides 1S), then parallel wiring might be in order, depending on your ESC really. The advice to slap a multimeter on each cell is a good idea. I looked at the saddles and the packaging is a bit ambiguous. I know I would be finding out the individual saddle voltage before it was hooked up my ESC. If the saddles ARE 7.4v per saddle, you have some fun options with that setup, loads of power for short rips or gobs of capacity for damn near an hours zipping around on one charge. My gut says is 3.7 per saddle tho, 5200mAh out of one saddle would be amazing.