Wiki Posts
Search

Banana plug help

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 02:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Banana plug help

I just ordered a new charger and some new lipos. Also new escs(hobbywing) My first lipos. Anyway Im think of converting over all my nimh batteries to banana plugs. Is there a male and female version of these plugs? Or are the ones that are on battery the same as the ones that will be on the charging cable?

I did find a link for these
http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-10225-short.html

What else would i need to buy to convert batteries and cables from charger?

Thanks
Old 03-05-2012, 03:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Basically, in general what you want to do is get enough male ends of whatever your connector choice is for the esc/charger cables and then enough female ends for the number of batteries. Then, cut or desolder what is on them all, and solder on your choice.

In the case of the ones you linked, they are generally 1 male and 1 female in each side and the same is true for the plastic. The benefit to this is that you don't have to worry about buying male/female at a given time. The downside is that you can accidentally do stupid things like plugging 1 battery into another, thinking it was your esc or charger plug, and instantly shorting the lipos together...likely making the battery blow up.

I'd suggest something like Deans connectors (most have standardized on this in the various places I've seen) or EC3's. XT60's seem pretty good to me as well, but I've yet to see anybody but hobbyking use them. Some people like the Traxxas connectors as well. Personally I use Deans or bullet/banana into the battery itself.