Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Shock tower sliders? >

Shock tower sliders?

Shock tower sliders?

Old 03-01-2012, 02:12 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Shock tower sliders?

I'm destroying shock towers at an alarming rate. I run a B44 wherever I can put it on the ground and play, and I have found that carbon fibre and concrete/asphalt do not play well together. I was wondering if anyone has seen pre-made caps/sliders for the shock towers? Something akin to the sliders you see on sportbikes, designed to slide easily and sacrifice themselves to protect the more expensive bits. Hell, a smallish stainless bar across the top of the towers would do the trick, just something to keep the pointy shock tower tops off the ground when I exceed my driving limits.

I tracked down some aluminum shock towers, 27 bucks for a front and rear (6061 alloy). Decent stuff I suppose. It'll handle sliding across hard ground better than CF for sure.

The rear is protected by the wing, and thinking about it, a slice of lexan mounted behind the shock bushings that stuck up about 1/2" beyond the tower tops and turned/bent over to form a "tube" of sorts would slide well and not look too terribly weird.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:47 PM
Tech Initiate

Ever notice that blister packs are damn near impossible to get into without resorting to a razor knife? Even then the packaging is resilient and tough as nails. So I found a piece and cut out a rectangle and slapped this on the tower. It's an ugly job, mainly to see if it's going to work or not. My hope it it'll allow for EASY sliding and not catch, imparting tremendous force to the tower. I'd rather the buggy slide and grind down what amounts to free plastic rather than towers that run ~15 bucks a pop.

Also, excuse the nastiness of the rig, put two packs through it on asphalt/gravel/dirt today and haven't torn it down yet.

http://webpages.charter.net/brembo/front.jpg
http://webpages.charter.net/brembo/back.jpg

Images linked due to size.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:03 PM
Tech Rookie

Malinios, when you say your distroying the front shock mounts are you breaking them or just splintering them up from sliding upside down on concrete / asphalt?

If breakage is the problem you can try epoxying or ca gluing two of the carbon fiber mounts together. Epoxy would be stronger. Then figure the added thickness and replace your hardwear screws for the shocks and mounts. Before doing this I would make sure you had room for the added thickness on the chassis.

If splintering is the problem. When I used to run 1/10 onroad cars we had alot of graphite and carbon fiber chassis. Splintering the chassis was a slight problem. We would take ca glue and apply to a cotton tip applicator (q-tip) and carefully apply around the outer edges of the chassis. This would help, but of course it will not prevent slamming damage.

First and foremost though. The Associated B44 is a good buggy that was designed to run on dirt. Get it off the asphalt and concrete and enjoy it for what what it was made to do. If ya want to run onroad then pop over to Xray's site and get you a road car.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:14 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by TroutBum View Post
Malinios, when you say your distroying the front shock mounts are you breaking them or just splintering them up from sliding upside down on concrete / asphalt?

If breakage is the problem you can try epoxying or ca gluing two of the carbon fiber mounts together. Epoxy would be stronger. Then figure the added thickness and replace your hardwear screws for the shocks and mounts. Before doing this I would make sure you had room for the added thickness on the chassis.

If splintering is the problem. When I used to run 1/10 onroad cars we had alot of graphite and carbon fiber chassis. Splintering the chassis was a slight problem. We would take ca glue and apply to a cotton tip applicator (q-tip) and carefully apply around the outer edges of the chassis. This would help, but of course it will not prevent slamming damage.

First and foremost though. The Associated B44 is a good buggy that was designed to run on dirt. Get it off the asphalt and concrete and enjoy it for what what it was made to do. If ya want to run onroad then pop over to Xray's site and get you a road car.
It's from sliding on hard surfaces. I'm setting the rig up and the only place to monkey with it is parking lots and the like right now. It's purpose in life is to travel with me to motocross/enduro races to have something to do before and after the races. It'll be on dirt there, with a mix of asphalt and gravel. I want to idiot proof it as much as possible so I can let my buds fiddle with it as well. I got this thing for a birdsong, mainly to R&D the bugs out of the system (mine and the buggy). It's likely I'll end up with a 1/8th scale truggy of some nature when I whittle down my needs/choices. Kiddie MX tracks are almost perfect for R/C purposes. Mild jumps and small and usually close to the concession stands.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:37 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by malinios View Post
I'm destroying shock towers at an alarming rate. I run a B44 wherever I can put it on the ground and play, and I have found that carbon fibre and concrete/asphalt do not play well together. I was wondering if anyone has seen pre-made caps/sliders for the shock towers? Something akin to the sliders you see on sportbikes, designed to slide easily and sacrifice themselves to protect the more expensive bits. Hell, a smallish stainless bar across the top of the towers would do the trick, just something to keep the pointy shock tower tops off the ground when I exceed my driving limits.

I tracked down some aluminum shock towers, 27 bucks for a front and rear (6061 alloy). Decent stuff I suppose. It'll handle sliding across hard ground better than CF for sure.

The rear is protected by the wing, and thinking about it, a slice of lexan mounted behind the shock bushings that stuck up about 1/2" beyond the tower tops and turned/bent over to form a "tube" of sorts would slide well and not look too terribly weird.
You could always take a piece of lexan thats big enough to fold over the shock tower but not rub on the shocks. take it and fold it over the shock tower so its covered where u want it and use the extra shock mounting holes u dont need to use and put a screw through the lexan and the shock tower on both sides and put a nut on the other end. i dont know if it will work im jus thinkin of stuff so let me know if it worked or not
Old 03-01-2012, 06:43 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by rcduder View Post
You could always take a piece of lexan thats big enough to fold over the shock tower but not rub on the shocks. take it and fold it over the shock tower so its covered where u want it and use the extra shock mounting holes u dont need to use and put a screw through the lexan and the shock tower on both sides and put a nut on the other end. i dont know if it will work im jus thinkin of stuff so let me know if it worked or not
See above pics. I just used the shocks themselves to hold the plastic.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Nice
Basicly what I do to protect My pan car chassis's running on asphault (carbon fiber)
I use Shoe Goo to stick small pieces of lexan on the bottom corners of them. Holds up good & helps protect the chassis plate.

Who cares if it doesn't look pretty if it works. Work on that later.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:47 PM
Tech Master

See above pics. I just used the shocks themselves to hold the plastic.
Oh haha didnt even see the pics ther i was also thinkin u could use regular wing mounts and just take the tops of of em so when u flip it would basically be like a standoff jus if u get sikk of wearin through the lexan
Old 03-01-2012, 06:50 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by rcduder View Post
Oh haha didnt even see the pics ther i was also thinkin u could use regular wing mounts and just take the tops of of em so when u flip it would basically be like a standoff jus if u get sikk of wearin through the lexan
I ground down a broken wing mount and put a "ski" on each. Been sliding it around the floor upside down some. Works well.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:54 PM
Tech Master

I ground down a broken wing mount and put a "ski" on each. Been sliding it around the floor upside down some. Works well.
thats good to here, that will save the pain of breaking shock towers and not havin an extra one
Old 03-01-2012, 08:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I remember reading that some people adapted these to fit:

That's an HPI Vorza
Old 03-06-2012, 12:50 PM
Tech Regular

I race mine on dirt and had similar problems; every few race days I'd break a shock tower, which were often hard to come by. The B44 simply won't handle too much severe crashing without breaking, but you can make the shock towers almost bullet-proof if you double them up. No need to glue them together, just put on two of them and use longer screws. The older/thinner front towers are preferable for this, or an old and a new combined, but two new ones have interference issues with the bumper (they still fit, you just need to shave part of the inside-front of the bumper down). I also reinforce the un-filled holes in the towers with spare socket-head cap screws and the little gold nuts (ASC4449), which keeps the towers from splintering (they just grind down slowly).

The skid you built looks like it'd also help.

Driving on dirt and learning to keep it rubber-side-down are the two biggest things you can do to extend the life of your parts, though.