Fuel?

Old 02-29-2012, 04:41 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Fuel?

Im new to the nitro scene. What kind of fuel is everyone running? I started with Traxxas top fuel when I first got my car together and it ran great. Then I switched to this stuff called Byron Fuels. Hasn't run right since. It seems to make less power (tho its not horrible) and overheats faster. Oh ya, Ive got a Nitro Sport with a 2.5R. Thanks
Old 03-01-2012, 05:01 AM
Tech Rookie

First question, why did you switch fuels if everything was running great? Second, which Byron fuel have you tried running?

Traxxas with the 2.5R engine recommends their Traxxas top fuel 20% nitro fuel. While they don't make it known what their oil percentage is in their fuel, from other nitro racing sites it is reported to have a 16% oil content. Note though, not all fuel providers measure their oil content in the same manner, and they vary in the type of oil used in fuels.

With this being if I were to use Byron fuels I would try their Race RTR20 Gen2 fuel. It is 20% nitro 16% oil. Maybe even Cool Power. They have a fuel called Sidewinder Basher which has the same 20% nitro 16% oil content.

The overheating faster could be due to how lean you have your mixture set, or again the oil content. Since the oils main function in hobby fuels is to reduce friction, less friction equals cooler running.

As to what is the best fuel to run. That is like what is the best car or truck to run. It's personal preference. And what mixture might work great on the east coast might not work that well where you are.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:36 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 252 (100%+)

+1 good info
Old 03-02-2012, 02:29 PM
Tech Rookie

To be honest the only reason I switched fuels is because my local hobby store was completely out of 20% top fuel the last time I needed gas so I figured I'd give something else a try. And the gen2 is actually what I have. I also always keep my alittle on the rich side just to be safe. Ifk hadn't bought a gallon of this stuff I would have switched back already lol
Old 03-04-2012, 04:37 PM
Tech Initiate

Top fuel isn't that bad of fuel. But I also had bad luck on Byrons so I feel ya.O'donnels, Works,Nitrotane are some I have used and been happy with them all..the reason I changed was because of the hobby shop and what they carried so I didn't have a HAZMAT charge for shipping. But my friends and I have been running Nitrotane for a year now and we are all very happy with its performance.In the future though try and stick with one fuel for the duration of that engine.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:48 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by are yew mad yet
Top fuel isn't that bad of fuel. But I also had bad luck on Byrons so I feel ya.O'donnels, Works,Nitrotane are some I have used and been happy with them all..the reason I changed was because of the hobby shop and what they carried so I didn't have a HAZMAT charge for shipping. But my friends and I have been running Nitrotane for a year now and we are all very happy with its performance.In the future though try and stick with one fuel for the duration of that engine.
Awesome man thanks. I'm definatly gonna try to stick with one fuel from now on. But I'll have to give nitrotane a try for sure.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:48 AM
Tech Elite

Byrons is 1000 times better than traxxas fuel.

Just remember - when you change fuels, you need to make sure none of the old fuel is left in the tank or in the engine. You will NEED to retune the engine.

Byrons is probley the most widely used fuel at the tracks. Nitrotane is ok but burns the hair out of your nose and its expensive. Sidewinder is also very good. Since OD switched their fuel, I dont see alot of people running it...

You just need to retune because the oil content is different.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:31 PM
Suspended

Bryons is great fuel... not cheap but worth every penny.. all I use