R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone

Old 01-12-2005, 07:53 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default affect of oil viscosity on diff gears?

I'm just getting into nitro RC and I'm having real trouble finding any info on what affect different viscosities of silicone oil have on each of the differential gears in a nitro RC buggy (front, center and rear). I've seen numbers ranging from 1,000 to 10,000 for 1/8 in different combinations, usually center being highest, front the middle value and rear the least. For example, I was thinking of running 5000/7000/1000 in my Kyosho Inferno 777. I was hoping to be better educated on it before changing out the stock oils though (which are a special LSD red oil front, 4000 center, 1000 rear).

Can anyone give an explanation on what affect modifying each would have on handling?
ziggurat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 10:14 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Well here goes. The thicker you go with an oil in a diff it will transmit power to both wheelsmore evenly. The thicker oil slows the movement of the gears inside the diff that give you the differential action(power to the easiest wheel to spin). So by putting really thick oil in the front diff will give you a on power push but way faster in the high speed corners. Thicker in the center will transmit power to front and back more equally. If you go to thick in the back your car will be very loose. Basically adding thicker oil to a diff is similar to making it like a limited slip or posi in a real car.
schmelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 09:31 AM   #3
Tech Rookie

so for instance, what would be the affect of having 3 vs 5 vs 7 in front, 5 vs 7 vs 10 in center and 1 vs 3 vs 5 in rear? It is hard to make generalizations to be sure, but speaking from experience anyone? thanks.
ziggurat is offline   Reply With Quote