Newbie: Is Traxxas REVO the one for me?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Newbie: Is Traxxas REVO the one for me?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2004, 05:19 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Newbie: Is Traxxas REVO the one for me?

Hey R/C pros,

it has been about 15 years since I've been in the world of R/Cs. Back then I had a Tamiya Audi Quattro and Blackfoot and dreamed of owning an RC10 The time has come to buy another R/C and the Traxxas Revo looks amazing.

I do not plan to race and most of my R/C time will be spent messing around in parks, alleys, and forests. Is there a better rig than the Revo? I want something very fast and durable!

Some of the 4wd buggy-style cars appeal to me since I am not really a "monster truck" sort of guy, but I worry that the limited ground clearance is better suited to track and indoor use, not thrashing around dirt and mud.

Any advice would be great
Old 12-24-2004, 07:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

If you want a backyard basher you can't go wrong with the Revo. Traxxas is second to none in the RTR. Plus Traxxas has one of the best customer support of all the companies. I am getting one myself as a gift from my wife (lucky me). They are well built and designed. Plus they come with nearly every thing you need even a DVD that tells you step by step of everything about the truck and about breaking in the motor and tuning it.

Your best choices would be the Revo T-Maxx or a Team Losi Lst. The buggys are more suited for race tracks and BMX bike track type places. They really don't handle the rough stuff well or going through grass and over curbs plus the parts can be more expensive along with cars being a little more complex

I hope this helps!!
Old 12-24-2004, 09:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default Re: Newbie: Is Traxxas REVO the one for me?

Originally posted by E368
Is there a better rig than the Revo?
lol, you won't find anything much more durable than that

Cheers
Old 12-25-2004, 12:40 AM
Tech Master

The REVO is much more advanced then any other monster truck today,yeah you couldnt go wrong with one of these
Old 12-28-2004, 08:27 PM
Tech Addict

revo t-maxx and don't forget the hpi savage truck too
Old 12-31-2004, 12:01 PM
Tech Rookie

Talking HPI!!!

i love hpi, i know every man to his own opinion, the revo is kick ass too though, if you want a masher truck then the savage is a pretty good truck, if you want handling and for racing revo is best bet, but yeah savage will stand up to ten brick walls, revo will stand up to 4-5 :P
Old 12-31-2004, 12:02 PM
Tech Rookie

oh yeah monster GT i hear isnt too bad really shitty radio though it is like from radioshack or something!!!
Old 12-31-2004, 01:34 PM
Tech Initiate

My wife bought me a Revo for Xmas, my 1st experience with R/C, I'm having a blast with it. However I think they should offer drivers ed with these things. I broke the right front wheel when I ran into the rear tire of a semi at full throttle. Not a wise idea. But I'm very pleased with the truck. When it hits 2nd gear you better be a good driver or have lots of room.
The only problem I've seen so far is it's so new there's not alot of aftermarket support yet. But I've only had it since Xmas. And haven't had a lot of time to look either.
Old 12-31-2004, 02:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Another good thing with Traxxas is their Tech. Support. A+++++

Cheers
Old 12-31-2004, 04:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Really the only thing that makes this truck more superior than it already is, is the foward only conversion kit, different tires, shock oil and springs. That is a total of about $100.

The most important upgrade you should do if you want to get serious with it, is a better remote. That should be #1 on your list. That will help more than you think ecspecially with a nitro truck!!

Alloy stuff really is a waste of money (that is my personal opinion) its heavier it bends instead of breaks. So when your car is tweaked and don't know why. But if the bling is what you are about than go for it!!
Old 12-31-2004, 09:18 PM
Tech Initiate

Why change to a forward only tranny? The truck came with another set of springs I was already thinking changing to them because the original ones seem to be sagging already. What weight of oil for the shock? I read thru the manual and it really don't say anything about preformance tuning for the suspension. Thanks.
Old 01-02-2005, 03:20 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

You got a tough choice
here is the break down
revo front pivot suspension is fragile at certain points it will break like any other truck does.
the savage is a great truck but a pain in the A$$ to work on
the Monster gt is awesome
the truck is very durable like the others but much easier to work on.
OFNA trucks are great but the parts are way over priced
I have tried them all & I like them all but I enjoyed the Monster Gt most of all.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:04 AM

you must also consider that the savage has no reverse. That's a very big deal because you are a backyard basher not a racer. The revo has it all except the size, its too weenie compared to other MONSTER TRUCKS
Old 01-12-2005, 08:27 PM
Tech Regular

buy a team losi LST monster truck very good and also you get a awsome radio with it the JR XS3 not rubbish RTR stuff