Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Radio System, How much of a difference does it make? >

Radio System, How much of a difference does it make?

Radio System, How much of a difference does it make?

Old 02-10-2012, 06:51 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Radio System, How much of a difference does it make?

So im somewhat new to the hobby and racing. I have been racing for about 6 months now. I run a Losi SCTE and Associated T4.1. Both I have built and put nice electronics in them (Tekin esc's and motors in both with Savox Servos). Now that my driving skills have become better and better im wandering how much my radio could be holding me back? I currently have an old Spektrum Dx2s radio and sr3000 is both trucks. Ive heard other racers talk about the transmission rate from radio to receiever and how much it can hinder you but I havnt driven anyone elses setups to know what the difference feels like. I guess im just trying to understand alittle more how the transmission rate works? and what do some of you more seasoned racers recommend? A couple buddys run the Airtronics M11 and really seem to like that and it seems most guys at my local track run the DX3r pro. Thanks for any help and suggestions you guys can offer!
Old 02-10-2012, 01:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Its all about being comfortable. Myself I like the m11x. Its what fits me. A friend has the same b4.1 I do but uses a Futaba radio. When I drive his car I cant make a clean lap.

Most all radios now days are very nice and not using AM ect.

Will the difference in radio performance make you better. I doubt it. Will finding the radio that fits you make you more comfortable allow you to focus on your driving more. Probably. Be it a $100 radio or $400 one.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:39 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

★"★".`*.*★☆☆Welcome☆☆★*.* ,. "★"★
Old 02-10-2012, 03:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

There are 2 things involved with radios that could possibly change how you drive. Neither is likely to make a huge difference in today's market unless you're literally on the very edge and doing every lap exactly the same.

1) latency time
2) latency jitter

Latency time is the time it takes for your change at the controls to be sent to the servo/esc. For most equipment today, that number is generally very low for just about every major brand.

The jitter is the difference in that latency. Good equipment will have a consistent latency, such that it is always the same, so you know as you come into a corner, that this is the timing you start to turn. Bad equipment will have really low latency one time, and higher latency the next, such that you turn different even if you as the driver do exactly the same thing both times.

Spektrum has a reasonably quick writeup on this here:
http://www.spektrumrc.com/DSM/Technology/latency.aspx

You said you have a Spektrum Dx2s, which already uses the same radio technology as found in the Dx3R Pro. So, buying that upgrade won't help you for that reason.

If, however, you find the Dx3R Pro more comfortable to hold, or you want to use the telemetry features that you can display on those, or you need to bind to many receivers (run more than 5 vehicles)...then the Dx3R Pro (or the older non-pro) may be beneficial for you to pick up. As far as the technical radio aspects though, nothing in their current lineup will make things better, or worse, for you.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:52 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 107 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by justpoet View Post
There are 2 things involved with radios that could possibly change how you drive. Neither is likely to make a huge difference in today's market unless you're literally on the very edge and doing every lap exactly the same.

1) latency time
2) latency jitter

Latency time is the time it takes for your change at the controls to be sent to the servo/esc. For most equipment today, that number is generally very low for just about every major brand.

The jitter is the difference in that latency. Good equipment will have a consistent latency, such that it is always the same, so you know as you come into a corner, that this is the timing you start to turn. Bad equipment will have really low latency one time, and higher latency the next, such that you turn different even if you as the driver do exactly the same thing both times.

Spektrum has a reasonably quick writeup on this here:
http://www.spektrumrc.com/DSM/Technology/latency.aspx

You said you have a Spektrum Dx2s, which already uses the same radio technology as found in the Dx3R Pro. So, buying that upgrade won't help you for that reason.

If, however, you find the Dx3R Pro more comfortable to hold, or you want to use the telemetry features that you can display on those, or you need to bind to many receivers (run more than 5 vehicles)...then the Dx3R Pro (or the older non-pro) may be beneficial for you to pick up. As far as the technical radio aspects though, nothing in their current lineup will make things better, or worse, for you.
Dead on!!! +1
Old 02-10-2012, 04:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I will note, however, that many tx/rx combos come with an older rx that only does DSM, not DSM2 like your Dx2s can. So, it MAY be slightly beneficial to upgrade your RECEIVER since it is not one of the newer ones, though this is mainly to deal with radio interference.

The sr3100 I believe is identical to yours except that it uses DSM2 instead of plain DSM. I personally picked up the sr3520 to have a smaller box that I could use in buggies and such too. If you wanted telemetry as mentioned above, then you'd want to pick up the sr3300T (not DSM2 so no radio benefit).

I wouldn't expect a major difference from this (if any), but it should be easy enough to borrow one from somebody, bind to it, and try it in your car to see if it helps you any...then either buy one or know you just have driving/setup to continue working on.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Great info guys! That does help me in my decision to drop that extra money, the dx3r pro feels very comfortable in my hand. So that's the route I'm going to go. Now I've got a better understanding as to how the radio works!