Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Please help me choose Rustler wheels. >

Please help me choose Rustler wheels.

Please help me choose Rustler wheels.

Old 02-06-2012, 02:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Please help me choose Rustler wheels.

Hiya! My VXL rusty needs new tires and rims. Bashing only, unskilled driver, looking for best value in toughness and ease of living with. I'd really like to buy something and then not have to mess with it for a long time.

(Apologies in advance; my post count won't allow me to insert URLs)

HPI Racing 5-spokes at Tower, $18.50/4 are cool. Q1: Are these likely to be tough enough? Q2: Description says, "These Wheels come with a Set of Adapters to Fit Most Popular Brands KYOSHO, HPI, TAMIYA TRAXXAS Monster Trucks" Does that suck? (Seems like it *could* suck...) Q3a: Says it works on the front or rear of my Rusty.

The cheap option is the "Traxxas Dyable 2.2" Front Wheel Rustler/Stampede" $3.90/pairl. Not quite a disk, but similar. Q1: Do these suck? They're cheap for sure. Q3b: These are different front/rear; how can the HPI be OK but this have separate f/r? (rears are on back order, too...)

Tires... Thinking Masher2K rear and Dirt HawgII front. Comments? Mostly off-road in a parklike setting- grass, chips, dirt, but some parking lot/road playtime too. 2s brushless.

Thanks!
Old 02-06-2012, 05:09 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

id say in the long run you would be better off with some 2.2 bead locks this way when ever you wana replace the tires you dont have to buy new rims just un screw the beads off the rims pull off old tire put new tire on and put beads back on and your set
Old 02-06-2012, 08:13 PM
Tech Regular

Hmmm.... I checked those out, they look sweet but $40/car... ouch. You can get a lot of wheelsets for $40. I can get a set of proper-sized RPMs in black for $10/set off the 'bay; same vendor has tires, too. I'll have to glue them, but that seems like a basic skill for this hobby so I might as well give it a go.

I'd be a little concerned about the ruggedness of beadlocks, too. Some I looked at had alu locking rings and exposed screw heads. Looking at what one curb slide did to my new RPM bumper I'd fear for the health of anything on the outer edge of the wheel.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:44 PM
Tech Initiate

Hey. yea, beadlocks might not be your best bet. Especially since you are bashing, some of the beadlocks tend to slip up and the tire with fall out of the bead and you will look like you have a flat tire

I would suggest some Dirt Hawgs or Trenchers if you are bashing off-road. For on-road I would suggest Andaconda's.

If you want some real heavy duty indestructible tires, I would buy some 17mm hub adapters for like 25 bucks on Amazon or Ebay, and then buy some premounted, glued, new in box buggy tires from "suprasales" on ebay. I just bought some Racingspike buggy tires from them. They shipped from Cali, to Michigan in 3 days and were only 26 bucks for all 4 tires AND rims. I was blwon away.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:29 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the info! I see we're in the same neighborhood (kinda, anyway ) Where do you run your cars?
Old 02-08-2012, 06:25 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by porterdog View Post
Thanks for the info! I see we're in the same neighborhood (kinda, anyway ) Where do you run your cars?
yea man, no problem. Im up in Macomb County and I usually drive down to Larrys Performance RC's in Sterling Heights. Thats basically my only local hobby shop. Dirtburners is a little too far of a drive for me. But Larrys is a lot of fun. Its indoor carpet/rubber but they let you run whatever you want. Its only like 8 bucks for a full day of messing around. They have Races on Tuesday and Sunday I believe too.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:40 AM
Tech Regular

Ha, I never even heard of Larry's, so thanks for the tip! I'll have to check it out at some point.

Peace!
Old 02-08-2012, 02:11 PM
Tech Regular

I ended up getting two pair of RPM 'Revolver' wheels, a set of Masher2ks, and a set of Dirt Hawgs (I love typing 'hawg') off the bay for a good deal. Seller: 'hopmeup'.

I also got a new trans housing and some rear arms... oops!

[hawg]
Old 02-09-2012, 06:27 AM
Tech Initiate

Nice dude! You're gunna have a sick selection of rubber now. One for every occasion. Very cool. suprasales out in Cali have a good selection of tires too. I got some 17mm adapters for my Rusty and bought some of their buggy tires. 26 bucks shipped to MI in 3 days. lol.

And you always need new arms. Back ups are key in RC. lol. And hawg is an awesome word......hawg.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cdubs View Post
Hey. yea, beadlocks might not be your best bet. Especially since you are bashing, some of the beadlocks tend to slip up and the tire with fall out of the bead and you will look like you have a flat tire

I would suggest some Dirt Hawgs or Trenchers if you are bashing off-road. For on-road I would suggest Andaconda's.

If you want some real heavy duty indestructible tires, I would buy some 17mm hub adapters for like 25 bucks on Amazon or Ebay, and then buy some premounted, glued, new in box buggy tires from "suprasales" on ebay. I just bought some Racingspike buggy tires from them. They shipped from Cali, to Michigan in 3 days and were only 26 bucks for all 4 tires AND rims. I was blwon away.
those tires from suprasales are tough! a great value for a basher for sure.