411 on lipos

Old 01-30-2012, 05:57 PM
Tech Initiate

Default 411 on lipos

Okay I have always had nitros and now I bought a 2wd slash with a castle 3800 with matching esc. The guy gave me two nihm batteries(no big deal) and a lipo. No charger so I bought a onyx 230 on eBay because a friend has one. My questions are 1. What is the process for charging the batteries like do I need to set something special up for the charger? 2. What is the thing about number of volts per cell? 3. Also this "storing" stuff and discharging, do I have to discharge it if I'm going to have it sit for less than 5 days? And how long is the deadline for not discharging them?

thanks a lot!!!
Old 01-30-2012, 07:01 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by OSideRC View Post
Okay I have always had nitros and now I bought a 2wd slash with a castle 3800 with matching esc. The guy gave me two nihm batteries(no big deal) and a lipo. No charger so I bought a onyx 230 on eBay because a friend has one. My questions are 1. What is the process for charging the batteries like do I need to set something special up for the charger? A. you need to set the charger to lipo
2. What is the thing about number of volts per cell? A. if its a 2 cell lipo then set it for 2 cell and so on for 3 cells and also set the mah to match the mah for your battery. i have the same charger and i have the timer set to off so i know i get a full charge and you will also need a balancer for it so you can balance the cells
3. Also this "storing" stuff and discharging, do I have to discharge it if I'm going to have it sit for less than 5 days? And how long is the deadline for not discharging them?A. there are several answers for this. some will say yes and some will say no. i dont discharge my battery. i just top it off before i use it

thanks a lot!!!
hope my answers help out
Old 01-30-2012, 10:26 PM
Tech Initiate

They did a lot!!! Thanks...I'll make sure to hit you up when I have more questions!!!
Old 01-31-2012, 05:10 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

no problem man. 1 thing i like about the 230 is the memory to do i think 10 diff battery's. the way i remember which memory bank each battery is i put the number on a piece of tape and tape it to the battery
Old 01-31-2012, 07:00 AM
Tech Initiate

Good idea, I'll do that but my charger doesn't come til Friday so I'm s.o.l until then
Old 01-31-2012, 07:02 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by OSideRC View Post
Good idea, I'll do that but my charger doesn't come til Friday so I'm s.o.l until then
lol