Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
New to site with question about xxx-sct steering issues >

New to site with question about xxx-sct steering issues

New to site with question about xxx-sct steering issues

Old 01-24-2012, 09:50 PM
Tech Rookie

Default New to site with question about xxx-sct steering issues

Hi I recently purchased a xxx-sct from local hobby shop. I am having trouble keeping it in a straight line with a stock traxxas 3500 kv brushless w vxl esc.

It would rather go left when i accelerate almost immediatly. I notice the toe on the rear right wheel is noticeably more then the left. Toe on front wheels is none. Never noticed with stock motor as it didn't brake the tires loose.

I know the motor and esc are a little heavier then the stock system. I don't see any adjustment for rear toe. Any help would be muchly appreciated as it is unsatisfactory. I have only run it six times or so just on a sandy parking lot and around my neighbourhood. Everything is stock other then motor and esc. 16 tooth gear on motor.

thx bill

Last edited by billj; 01-24-2012 at 10:16 PM. Reason: duplicate
Old 01-25-2012, 01:17 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by billj
Hi I recently purchased a xxx-sct from local hobby shop. I am having trouble keeping it in a straight line with a stock traxxas 3500 kv brushless w vxl esc.

It would rather go left when i accelerate almost immediatly. I notice the toe on the rear right wheel is noticeably more then the left. Toe on front wheels is none. Never noticed with stock motor as it didn't brake the tires loose.

I know the motor and esc are a little heavier then the stock system. I don't see any adjustment for rear toe. Any help would be muchly appreciated as it is unsatisfactory. I have only run it six times or so just on a sandy parking lot and around my neighbourhood. Everything is stock other then motor and esc. 16 tooth gear on motor.

thx bill
If your car has turnbuckles adjust them till you have 1-2 degrees of toe-in (front of tires pointing toward the chassis). Make sure that both the right and left turnbuckles are the same length.

And welcome to the site!
Old 01-25-2012, 03:07 PM
Tech Champion

The rear should have equal toe in on both sides. You need to check everything over carefully and look for damage, compare side to side to help determine where the issue is. Many possibilities, the rear inner pivot might be cracked or loose, bent hinge pins, arm holes that are unusually sloppy, hub bearing issues, cracks in a hub, even a bent wheel or axle. Make sure camber is equal too (amount the tires are leaning in).

Assuming the rear is in good shape, it's likely there is a weight imbalance on the tires. First suspect is probably the springs and to some extent the shocks. Again compare side to side, making sure they are as balanced as possible, both front and rear. Springs adjusted equally, and in good condition, shocks in good shape oil wise, mounted to the same holes, etc. If there is any tweak, or wedge, it's like an oval car, will always have a tendency to go in the same direction. Can't find anything perhaps try switching shocks side to side to if the problem follows or not (again front and rear). Could be a goofy set of springs, fairly cheap to try another set.

Electronics layout can contribute too, as typically the relatively heavy speed control is on one side and makes the RC unbalanced. Try suspending it from the middle of the front and rear shock towers, see if it leans to one side. If so try adding some weight to balance. There are adhesive weights, but you can just tape something simple, like quarters even, to experiment with.

Hope this helps, good luck.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:24 PM
Tech Rookie

thank you for the help guys