Paint on my Tx?

Old 01-23-2012, 07:06 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default Paint on my Tx?

Has anyone tried it? I wanted a white dx3r. I know could get a wrap but I wanted the stock plastic on there and white would look awesome. I wanted to know if anyone has painted theirs and what paint would I need to get?
Old 01-24-2012, 08:24 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

You could try using Krylon Fusion which is meant for use on plastics. Of course, you'll still have to prep the trannsmitter case before painting. I recommend disassembling it first so that you can just paint the case and not have to worry about masking or paint seeping inside of the trasmitter.

Doing this will probably void your warranty, hence why many people stick with the wraps.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:09 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (93%+)

I have not painted any RC controllers yet but have painted many game console controllers which are made of the same plastic. Disassemble the controller, store your screws in a ziplock bag and take some pics while your tearing it down to note what screws go where. Wash the controller in warm soapy water and then scuff with a red or grey scotchbrite pad. I would use urethane or lacquer model paint. Prime the scuffed plastic and then paint with the color desired. Top with Urethane or Lacquer gloss clear.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:05 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Thanks for the help guys. I'll be testing it on a dx3c that I have first. Then let my little brother use it for a week or so to see how it holds up. If all is well, I'll do my dx3r. Thanks again!
Old 01-26-2012, 02:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Brenda View Post
Has anyone tried it? I wanted a white dx3r. I know could get a wrap but I wanted the stock plastic on there and white would look awesome. I wanted to know if anyone has painted theirs and what paint would I need to get?
http://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-el...ektrum-26.html

I read this a few months ago, you can go back a few pages & he tells what he used. It may not be the exact same model, but I think it's close enough.