Please Help!

Old 01-07-2012, 03:22 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Please Help!

Hi RCTech,

I am obviously a newbie, so I need your guys opinion. I'm looking to buy my first RC car. I'm not going to race, but just drive it around. My budget is around $200. I am looking for a short course race truck. I was looking at the Traxxas Slash 2WD and the Team Associated SC10. I also want a RTR.

Are these trucks good? If not, can you recommend me some good trucks, and parts to go with it?

Thank You,
Falken
Old 01-07-2012, 03:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

If you want one for bashing around in your yard, ball field, etc. get the Slash. Both the vehicles you mention are good, but the SC10 is more of a race vehicle, IMO.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:01 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks
Old 01-07-2012, 06:20 PM
Tech Rookie

are you stuck on a truck?

a rustler would be in your price range. & it will be a bit easier on bodies if you start bashing.

also check your craigslist. deals come up here (in ohio) all the time.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:28 PM
Tech Initiate

Might help your decision making easier, which brand does your local hobby store keep more replacement parts for? Although that does not always mean it will be in stock when you need to replace something... but something to keep in mind.

+1 on Rusty if your not stuck on truck
Old 01-07-2012, 08:28 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Thumbs up

From experience having a Slash & Associated SC trucks, Slash is a good bang for your buck definitely& about the only Traxxas vehicle I would recommend! Also don't rule out the HPI Blitz, it may be just a little over your price cap but is well worth it! I think the SC10RS is the better of the 2, w/the Reedy 3300kv motor & lipo ready ESC is great! The SC10 is not only better on the track than the Slash but is also a good basher in its own right, very durable so if you wanna have some backyard fun & then get serious & track it you know it will take whatever you throw at it. With the Slash I had to put some extra suspension parts (sway bar kit, bigger shocks) & tires to handle better, and still it wasn't all that great. Good luck w/your choice bro & take your time choosing, you wanna be truly happy w/whatever you choose.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by venom_sc8e
From experience having a Slash & Associated SC trucks, Slash is a good bang for your buck definitely& about the only Traxxas vehicle I would recommend! Also don't rule out the HPI Blitz, it may be just a little over your price cap but is well worth it! I think the SC10RS is the better of the 2, w/the Reedy 3300kv motor & lipo ready ESC is great! The SC10 is not only better on the track than the Slash but is also a good basher in its own right, very durable so if you wanna have some backyard fun & then get serious & track it you know it will take whatever you throw at it. With the Slash I had to put some extra suspension parts (sway bar kit, bigger shocks) & tires to handle better, and still it wasn't all that great. Good luck w/your choice bro & take your time choosing, you wanna be truly happy w/whatever you choose.
my vote would be for the scr10 or the hpi. traxxas is a good begginer but the get pricey fast to stay race competive like the guy said above. the sc10 and hpi are great trucks to work on and run. They dont pop streeing links all the time as far as i know like the slash does.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

And yet the OP said he's not racing so no race upgrades are needed. The Slash is perfectly fine for what he wants to do.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:42 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I'd still go w/the SC10 IMO, I never anticipated on going to the track either, but eventually it gets to you & you "just wanna see what it can do", whatever your satisfied w/though, you'll get the usual responses on here.