Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Will be getting into SCT, just a couple questions. >

Will be getting into SCT, just a couple questions.

Will be getting into SCT, just a couple questions.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:05 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Will be getting into SCT, just a couple questions.

Ok Im not new to R/C, had a few Traxxas buggies when I was younger, actually raced my Bandit a few times, did ok. Ive been wanting to get back into it and after going to my LHS and seeing the track they have, SCT is def. the direction I want to head. My questions really are toward best direction as far as battery and charger.

Only the Traxxas and the Venom Ive found with a battery and a charger. I really dont want to get either one of these. I actually found a special that had a Blitz that came with battery and wall charger. I know these will not be the best, and the charger will most likely take hours. But being that I will be in the Novice class at our shop until they decide Im ready to move up I wont need the best right away, basically just need practice. Can you guys recomend a decent charger and battery combo. I dont think I want to go Lipo right away. I basically have a 300 shipped limit right now. So I want to get the most of my money.....thanks and sorry for such a long first post...GREAT SITE!!!
Old 12-13-2011, 06:05 AM
Tech Adept

Well Im ordering my truck Thursday, found a charger locally pretty cheap (Traxxas EZ peak plus) Im going to get a NiMh battery to start, but with that charger I can upgrade to lipos without any worry. I cant wait to get my truck and hit the track!
Old 12-13-2011, 06:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (97%+)

Nice to see another RCer come back.

As for batteries and chargers its hard to beat Hobbypartz.com.

You will see numerous threads about how bad they are, but me and a few buddies have ordered from them without any problems.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Don't be shy of the li-po they are the way to go twice the run time, lighter, and don't believe all the crap out there about them blowing up. I have been out of the rc cars for awhile and got back into them and don't even want to run anything but li-po's, I don't have a lhs and I found hobbypartz.com and they have a great deal on li-po's, they are 5000mah 20c for $18. I ordered 6 of them cause I picked up 4 slash's for all my family to race and get run time and running right with the other racer's in the class, I picked up a charger that came charge 4 batteries at once any kind for $99 bucks but they have a bunch of chargers that can charge lipo's for like $20.I am telling u if u try them u will never run anything else, plus free shipping on orders over $50
Old 12-13-2011, 06:49 AM
Tech Adept

Yea thats what my LHS told me, Lipos are the way to go, and I will be, within a month or so......that is a really good deal on those batteries. How do you like your Slash? My buddy is looking at one, Ive had Traxxas my whole life and wanted something different thats why I went with the Losi.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I would defiantly go lipo as fast as you can. YOu can get 2 gens ace 5000mah 40c lipos and a thunder ac6 charger for around 100 on hobbypartz. It is the best deal out there.

Then look into upgrading your esc and motor, a castle mamba max pro or the hobby wing 120a is all you will ever need. I would stay with a name brand on the motor, novak tekin etc and go sensored with it.

You will also want to do some performance parts for you truck, find the thread for it and you find all the info you need to do that.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:07 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)

Originally Posted by WdotDynamite View Post
Ok Im not new to R/C, had a few Traxxas buggies when I was younger, actually raced my Bandit a few times, did ok. Ive been wanting to get back into it and after going to my LHS and seeing the track they have, SCT is def. the direction I want to head. My questions really are toward best direction as far as battery and charger.

Only the Traxxas and the Venom Ive found with a battery and a charger. I really dont want to get either one of these. I actually found a special that had a Blitz that came with battery and wall charger. I know these will not be the best, and the charger will most likely take hours. But being that I will be in the Novice class at our shop until they decide Im ready to move up I wont need the best right away, basically just need practice. Can you guys recomend a decent charger and battery combo. I dont think I want to go Lipo right away. I basically have a 300 shipped limit right now. So I want to get the most of my money.....thanks and sorry for such a long first post...GREAT SITE!!!
THE BANDIT! YES! i used to rock the novice class with that thing at hobbytowns parking lot oval in phx arizona.

lipo batteries and chargers is OBVIOUSLY more expensive, but well worth it. nihm and life batteries dont last as long.

lithium polymer is the type of battery in cell phones.

no discharge required, plug and play, let motor cool, plug and play.

just dont buy venom batteries, thunder power makes the best quality lipo. $100 for a TP battery will last you years! a nihm of life battery will last half that. buy a used truck on here and spend the money on a better battery and charger.

dont buy used batteries either.

BUT you can get a traxxas rtr with a battery for $200-250 and a charger for $50-60.

just go cruise the for sale forum on here and see what you find.