Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Looking for a 4wd RTR >

Looking for a 4wd RTR

Looking for a 4wd RTR

Old 12-01-2011, 06:16 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Looking for a 4wd RTR

Hello everyone, I am not new to RC's by any means but am pretty new to fast electrics. I currently own an Axial XR10 for going slow but I want a short course/buggy type RC that I can mess around with at local BMX tracks/skateparks and possibly get into racing but I doubt it. Here is what I'm looking for:

4wd
Brushless OR lipo ready (must have reliable electronics)
RTR
Under $400
Durable

I've been eyeing a Slash 4x4 because it has all that I'm looking for but it seems most here shy away from Traxxas. Why is this?

I am open to buggies as well but don't know enough about them and the electric off-road section of this forum is a bit tough to navigate when it comes to looking for specific information on certain models.

Lay it on me!
Old 12-01-2011, 06:26 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 252 (100%+)

4x4 Slash biggest bang for the buck fast on 3s lipo and as tough as it gets. I'm not a traxxas fanatic but you have to give credit where credit is due.
I've seen some ares that dont like them . I'm not totally sure why, but it seems in those areas it is Associated or Losi mostly .
1 vote for the 4x4 slash
Old 12-01-2011, 07:27 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by hotrod87
4x4 Slash biggest bang for the buck fast on 3s lipo and as tough as it gets. I'm not a traxxas fanatic but you have to give credit where credit is due.
I've seen some ares that dont like them . I'm not totally sure why, but it seems in those areas it is Associated or Losi mostly .
1 vote for the 4x4 slash
Great thanks! Any other models should I consider? SC10 maybe? What about 4wd buggies that are RTR? It seems impossible to have a certain criteria to meet and only ONE RC fits the bill Typically my standards yield 15-20 different options
Old 12-01-2011, 08:24 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by thegame7
Great thanks! Any other models should I consider? SC10 maybe? What about 4wd buggies that are RTR? It seems impossible to have a certain criteria to meet and only ONE RC fits the bill Typically my standards yield 15-20 different options
I have a factory team b44 up for sale...
Pm me if you are interested. And ignore the "Only want to trade"

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...ax-5700kv.html
Old 12-01-2011, 08:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

4wd buggies are inherently fragile even on a groomed and prepared track. For what you want to do, I would not recommend one. I would second the notion of the Slash being more of what you'd want or for something a little more race-oriented, the Losi RTR SCTE.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

OFNA Hyper 10sc is a pretty good 4x4 I race one and I've jumped it pretty far and haven't broke anything yet. And it's at a fair price rtr. I'm trying to sell one also pretty tricked out but traxxas cars are tough
Old 12-01-2011, 09:30 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by MarkA
4wd buggies are inherently fragile even on a groomed and prepared track. For what you want to do, I would not recommend one. I would second the notion of the Slash being more of what you'd want or for something a little more race-oriented, the Losi RTR SCTE.
I was looking at the Ten SCTE but that's a bit over $500 and out of budget. I'd really like a 1/5 scale gas HPI Baja SS but I'm saving for a down payment on a house so I'm trying to spend as little as possible but still have a reliable, fun rig. At least if I sell some items I have, I can fund a good chunk for a Slash. Thanks gentlemen!
Old 12-02-2011, 09:13 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I was looking at the Ten SCTE but that's a bit over $500 and out of budget. I'd really like a 1/5 scale gas HPI Baja SS but I'm saving for a down payment on a house so I'm trying to spend as little as possible but still have a reliable, fun rig. At least if I sell some items I have, I can fund a good chunk for a Slash. Thanks gentlemen!
FYI, the Losi is $449 when you add it to your cart at Stormer.

The only reason I bring that up is that you did mention possibly racing. The Losi is a set of tires away from being reasonably competitive, the Slash would always be more of a "just driving around a track" experience. Otherwise, I think you'll really enjoy the Slash.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:08 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by MarkA
FYI, the Losi is $449 when you add it to your cart at

The only reason I bring that up is that you did mention possibly racing. The Losi is a set of tires away from being reasonably competitive, the Slash would always be more of a "just driving around a track" experience. Otherwise, I think you'll really enjoy the Slash.
Holy! $449 is a killer price. I wonder how long that will be good for because that is definitely worth it!
Old 12-02-2011, 02:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

Ive been thinking the same thing I think I'm going with the slash over the sc10 though ^.^

Last edited by jbroge; 12-02-2011 at 02:08 PM. Reason: spelling error