Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Looking for a 4wd RTR >

Looking for a 4wd RTR

Looking for a 4wd RTR

Old 12-01-2011, 06:16 PM
  #1  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 167
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Looking for a 4wd RTR

Hello everyone, I am not new to RC's by any means but am pretty new to fast electrics. I currently own an Axial XR10 for going slow but I want a short course/buggy type RC that I can mess around with at local BMX tracks/skateparks and possibly get into racing but I doubt it. Here is what I'm looking for:

4wd
Brushless OR lipo ready (must have reliable electronics)
RTR
Under $400
Durable

I've been eyeing a Slash 4x4 because it has all that I'm looking for but it seems most here shy away from Traxxas. Why is this?

I am open to buggies as well but don't know enough about them and the electric off-road section of this forum is a bit tough to navigate when it comes to looking for specific information on certain models.

Lay it on me!
thegame7 is offline  
Old 12-01-2011, 06:26 PM
  #2  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (252)
 
hotrod87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Kalispell Mt
Posts: 10,958
Trader Rating: 252 (100%+)
Default

4x4 Slash biggest bang for the buck fast on 3s lipo and as tough as it gets. I'm not a traxxas fanatic but you have to give credit where credit is due.
I've seen some ares that dont like them . I'm not totally sure why, but it seems in those areas it is Associated or Losi mostly .
1 vote for the 4x4 slash
hotrod87 is offline  
Old 12-01-2011, 07:27 PM
  #3  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 167
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by hotrod87
4x4 Slash biggest bang for the buck fast on 3s lipo and as tough as it gets. I'm not a traxxas fanatic but you have to give credit where credit is due.
I've seen some ares that dont like them . I'm not totally sure why, but it seems in those areas it is Associated or Losi mostly .
1 vote for the 4x4 slash
Great thanks! Any other models should I consider? SC10 maybe? What about 4wd buggies that are RTR? It seems impossible to have a certain criteria to meet and only ONE RC fits the bill Typically my standards yield 15-20 different options
thegame7 is offline  
Old 12-01-2011, 08:24 PM
  #4  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (18)
 
Bugger234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 363
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by thegame7
Great thanks! Any other models should I consider? SC10 maybe? What about 4wd buggies that are RTR? It seems impossible to have a certain criteria to meet and only ONE RC fits the bill Typically my standards yield 15-20 different options
I have a factory team b44 up for sale...
Pm me if you are interested. And ignore the "Only want to trade"

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...ax-5700kv.html
Bugger234 is offline  
Old 12-01-2011, 08:52 PM
  #5  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (21)
 
MarkA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Corvallis, OR
Posts: 9,161
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by thegame7
Great thanks! Any other models should I consider? SC10 maybe? What about 4wd buggies that are RTR? It seems impossible to have a certain criteria to meet and only ONE RC fits the bill Typically my standards yield 15-20 different options
4wd buggies are inherently fragile even on a groomed and prepared track. For what you want to do, I would not recommend one. I would second the notion of the Slash being more of what you'd want or for something a little more race-oriented, the Losi RTR SCTE.
MarkA is offline  
Old 12-01-2011, 08:59 PM
  #6  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (114)
 
Mxer59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bakersfield, California
Posts: 2,703
Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)
Default

OFNA Hyper 10sc is a pretty good 4x4 I race one and I've jumped it pretty far and haven't broke anything yet. And it's at a fair price rtr. I'm trying to sell one also pretty tricked out but traxxas cars are tough
Mxer59 is offline  
Old 12-01-2011, 09:30 PM
  #7  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 167
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by MarkA
4wd buggies are inherently fragile even on a groomed and prepared track. For what you want to do, I would not recommend one. I would second the notion of the Slash being more of what you'd want or for something a little more race-oriented, the Losi RTR SCTE.
I was looking at the Ten SCTE but that's a bit over $500 and out of budget. I'd really like a 1/5 scale gas HPI Baja SS but I'm saving for a down payment on a house so I'm trying to spend as little as possible but still have a reliable, fun rig. At least if I sell some items I have, I can fund a good chunk for a Slash. Thanks gentlemen!
thegame7 is offline  
Old 12-02-2011, 09:13 AM
  #8  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (21)
 
MarkA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Corvallis, OR
Posts: 9,161
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by thegame7
I was looking at the Ten SCTE but that's a bit over $500 and out of budget. I'd really like a 1/5 scale gas HPI Baja SS but I'm saving for a down payment on a house so I'm trying to spend as little as possible but still have a reliable, fun rig. At least if I sell some items I have, I can fund a good chunk for a Slash. Thanks gentlemen!
FYI, the Losi is $449 when you add it to your cart at Stormer.

The only reason I bring that up is that you did mention possibly racing. The Losi is a set of tires away from being reasonably competitive, the Slash would always be more of a "just driving around a track" experience. Otherwise, I think you'll really enjoy the Slash.
MarkA is offline  
Old 12-02-2011, 11:08 AM
  #9  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 167
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by MarkA
FYI, the Losi is $449 when you add it to your cart at

The only reason I bring that up is that you did mention possibly racing. The Losi is a set of tires away from being reasonably competitive, the Slash would always be more of a "just driving around a track" experience. Otherwise, I think you'll really enjoy the Slash.
Holy! $449 is a killer price. I wonder how long that will be good for because that is definitely worth it!
thegame7 is offline  
Old 12-02-2011, 02:07 PM
  #10  
Tech Apprentice
 
jbroge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 71
Default

Ive been thinking the same thing I think I'm going with the slash over the sc10 though ^.^

Last edited by jbroge; 12-02-2011 at 02:08 PM. Reason: spelling error
jbroge is offline  

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.