Rookie B4.1 owner >

Rookie B4.1 owner

Rookie B4.1 owner

Old 11-29-2011, 02:57 AM
Q2
Tech Rookie

Default Rookie B4.1 owner

Hi guys,

I'm new to the hole rc world and I think I'm hooked..

I've currently got a stock Team Associated B4.1 RTR stock as a rock and I'm keen to give this baby some more punch.

I'm uncertain what I can do, I'm interested in dropping in a faster brushless motor but I'm not sure which one will give me the most for my money, which one will fit, which one will work with the current stock speed controller and also should I change my pinion gearing as well, maybe a 16T. (saw a video of a B4 with 16T and I loved it acceleration it had)

My budget is around $150-$200 any help would be much appreciated.

Q
Old 11-29-2011, 11:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

id say new motor and esc...if your not in a rush buy the motor used, i personally am a big fan of tekin products, the tekin rs esc is really nice as well. between the two your car can boogy!
Old 11-30-2011, 02:57 AM
Q2
Tech Rookie

Thanks jirish617, which motor will fit? or do they all fit?

Dose anyone here own a B4.1 and did an upgrade? If so what did they put in?
Old 11-30-2011, 09:15 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Q2
Thanks jirish617, which motor will fit? or do they all fit?

Dose anyone here own a B4.1 and did an upgrade? If so what did they put in?
Any 540 can motor will fit. You just need to adjust your gearing to the specific motor. Bookmark this site for gearing recommendations. Since I assume you're looking for maximum speed and don't need a specific spec of motor for organized racing, an 8.5 or maybe 7.5 is about the most a 2wd buggy can use.

As for ESC, because 2wd buggys don't run well on the cheaper sensorless stuff, my usual recommendation is to buy a used race-grade (i.e. LRP, etc) ESC and pair that with a new motor of your choice.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:18 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Like Mark said, any 540 size motor will fit. If your still used to running a stock motor, I wouldn't go more than 10.5t, because even those motor pending how you gear it and tune the esc, are still really fast. At my local track I think most people run a 7.5t or 8.5t, I personally use a 10.5t and my car is just as quick as theres. The issue with alot of people is they try to go to a big motor right away, and then the car is too fast for them.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:49 PM
Q2
Tech Rookie

Thanks Mark and jirish617.

Sorry for asking such stupid questions but I'm assuming Mark you mean an 8.5 turn motor like Associated Reedy Sonic 8.5?

I'm not sure where to look to buy a second had esc? should I just post something in "R/C Items: Wanted to Buy" section? Specifically what should I be looking for? Could my XP SC200 esc do the job?
Old 11-30-2011, 05:04 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Q2
Sorry for asking such stupid questions but I'm assuming Mark you mean an 8.5 turn motor like Associated Reedy Sonic 8.5?
Yes, that is an example of just such a motor.

Originally Posted by Q2
I'm not sure where to look to buy a second had esc? should I just post something in "R/C Items: Wanted to Buy" section? Specifically what should I be looking for? Could my XP SC200 esc do the job?
The XP SC200 is actually a not even a brushless ESC so you will need a new ESC. You can start your search here: http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-items-sale-trade-16/ or you can post a wanted ad as well. Just about anything from LRP, Tekin, Viper, Orion will work for what you want to do.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:39 PM
Q2
Tech Rookie

So the only requirement I need to look for in a esc is that it is a brushless esc other than that any will do?
Old 11-30-2011, 11:12 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Q2
So the only requirement I need to look for in a esc is that it is a brushless esc other than that any will do?
If you stick to the brands I listed you will need only to cross reference that the exact model you find will handle the motor you have in mind but it will be mostly plug and play from there.

If you head into the off brand world, make sure it is sensored, has a lipo cutoff and so on as things taken for granted can sometimes go missing on those.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:56 AM
Q2
Tech Rookie

Mark thank-you, you have been extremely helpful.. I will give it go and I'll let you know my how I go.