Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
New and Already Need A Hand >

New and Already Need A Hand

New and Already Need A Hand

Old 11-24-2011, 01:26 PM
Tech Initiate

Default New and Already Need A Hand

Hey gang! Besides all the race cars I had as a kid, the one I purchased last week was my first real RC car. Very exciting!!!

I purchased a RedCat Tornado S30 from a local hobby shop. After having it for less than a week, I'm about to pull my hair out in frustration! I've had more dog bones pop out than I can count. Even a transmission axle. My frame has bent in the rear and just today, the servo for my throttle just went bad!! I mean, damn - this is crazy!! If my first week, I've been to that same hobby shop for replacement dog bones, upgraded upper/lower arms, bolts for a couple that had come off. I understand the whole thing about maintaining your RC after every time out, but it's sad when me and my 3 year old daughter have to do a "dogbone check" after every circle around the yard. I put a thin piece of plywood against a small cardboard box and after landing, noticed a dogbone loose and the frame on the rear aluminum piece had bent with the impact of the jump. My chassis would no longer go on properly.

No doubt this beast is fast, but it is very poorly made/assembled.

I love the whole nitro thing but am thinking of maybe an electric off-road buggy of some sort as my 2nd car. 1/10th size or maybe 1/8th. I fell in love with the HPI Pulse 4.6 nitro but found out it's not available until January next year. That will be its own separate project. The HPI Bullet Flex ST is also super hot!!

So my question to the forum is, are all car piece of poorly made crap like this RedCat I have here? Do I have a lemon? What are some reputable brands to stick with?

If you had $500 to play with, what would be your next electric off-road buggy or truck, 1/10 or 1/8 size?? Any advice or suggestions would be very beneficial to me. Thx gang!!
Jason
Old 11-26-2011, 07:10 PM
Tech Adept

kyosho & HPI
get the 1/10 RTR, so you can get the batteries and the charger too
Old 11-26-2011, 07:34 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

You bought a RC that's not well recommended.....they are just cheap. Stick with recognized name brands, they cost more, but break way less and don't have basic probs like you experienced with the bones.

Something from HPI, Traxxas, Koysho, AE etc will be more expensive, but a better experience.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

If u gonna race chk what they run at track & get same type.
I like 1/8 better. More durable & trk dont have to be as smooth.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:55 PM
Tech Initiate

Great advice guys - thanks!

Just purchased a Traxxas Bandit VXL - electric off-road buggy. I hope this one fairs a bit better than the Tornado. Bought an extra 8.4V 4500mAh battery pack. Batteries are charging. We'll see how things go tomorrow

BTW It sure comes with some detailed instructions about programming the remote!!!

Traxxas or HPI?? My local hobby shop owner was hyping up Traxxas over HPI. True??

Thx again!!
J
Old 11-26-2011, 10:53 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

What kind? Buggy, truck etc..
HPI better.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:10 AM
Tech Adept

HPI is better for what????? Mate it sepends on what he is using it for. general driving around and jumping traxxas is way better.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:32 AM
Tech Adept

if it were 1/8 electric buggy I will go HPI
Old 11-27-2011, 08:40 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

most local hobby shops are big into traxxas..it's just a good company that makes good products..especially for people just getting into the hobby..for the most part they are reliable vehicles, and take a good amount of beating..i bought my 5 yr old a monster mutt replica stampede..thing has been indestructible so far..lol I personally like losi, ae , hpi products..but your lhs will supply tons of traxxas parts if thats what he pumps out to people..which makes it nice for you in case you need spare parts..u should have much bettr luck with this buggy than your redcat..my nephew made the same mistake and bought a redcat nitro monster truck..my brother and i were ALWAYS working on it more than he was driving it..
Old 12-04-2011, 05:46 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Talking Future off road RC's to consider

My .02 cents
!st choice is Mugen MBX6 Eco very durable 1/8 14.4v buggy
can be expensive maybe over kill but will last.

2nd choice Traxxas simply because of price, selection and parts
Truck or buggy 7.2v reasonable prices Trucks: Summit, Emaxx, Stampede, and
Buggy: Bandit vxl 8.4v

Redcat Twister, 3906 Emmaxx & a 1/24th Air Hog Hyper