Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2 deg. anti-squat

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 10:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default 2 deg. anti-squat

Several set up sheets use the term "anti-squat" when referring to the rear of the truck. I know I am probably the only one who doesnt know what it is but please someone enlighten me.... specifically what does the term "2 deg. anti-squat" Mean?
Old 12-09-2004, 01:45 AM
Tech Elite

SInce I'm in touring and dont use anti-squat (not adjustable on my car), I dont know neither

Hope the below helps...

A little copy-paste from http://users.pandora.be/elvo/ :

"Anti-squat describes the angle of the rear hinge-pins relative to the horizontal plane. Its purpose is to make the car squat less when accelerating. (Squatting is when the rear of the car drops down when the car accelerates)
More anti-squat will give more 'driving traction': there will be more pressure on the rear tires as you accelerate, especially the first few meters. At the same time, it will give more on-power steering, because the car isn't squatting much. The disadvantage is that the car has an increased tendency to become unstable entering corners, especially in the rear. Reducing the anti-squat angle has the opposite effect: a lot less on power steering, and more rear traction when the car isn't accelerating as much anymore. The car will also be a lot more stable entering corners. It also affects the car's ability to handle bumps: more anti-squat will cause the car to bounce more when accelerating through bumps, but it will increase the car's ability to absorb the bumps when coasting. Reducing the anti-squat does the opposite: it improves the car's ability to soak up the bumps under power, but reduces it while coasting."

"More anti-squat generally makes the rear of the car more sensitive to throttle input.
The car has more steering while braking, and also a little more powering out of corners.
On high-traction tracks, it may feel as if the car momentarily has more rear traction accellerating out of corners.
A car with more anti-squat can also jump a little higher and further, and it will soak up bumps a little better, off-power.
A lot of anti-squat (4° or more) can make the car spin out in turns, and make the rear end break loose when accellerating."

"Less anti-squat gives more rear traction while accellerating on a slippery or dusty track.
It also gives more side-bite.
Less anti-squat will make the car accellerate better and faster through bumpy sections.
Very little anti-squat (0° or 1°) makes the rear end feel very stable. It also makes power sliding a lot easier."