Wiki Posts
Search

This Whole Thing About "Bashing"

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 01:47 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default This Whole Thing About "Bashing"

This is kind of a silly observation. But I'm just stating it for fun, so pls don't get too serious about it.

As a noob in RC cars, while looking for my first truck and reading up on the Internet, I began to see that one way to see how good a truck is is to see how well it can withstand "bashing".

So first, you pay lots of money for a truck—the truck you fell in love with at first sight. Then you bash it like hell, and if nothing breaks, it's a good truck. If things break, it's a bad truck.

Of course, bashing itself is subjective. Some people bash it to the third level of hell. Others just bash it mercifully.

And I wonder, was the truck designed to take that kind of bashing in the first place? If not, why call it a bad truck? Granted, it's expected to take some jumps, rolls and head-on impacts, but really, was it designed to jump over your house? I saw one such video where the guy said, "Nothing broken."

Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Good post.

Some companies, Traxxas comes to mind, do design an element of knowing that their cars are going to be used for activities that follow the phrase, "watch this", but even then, nobody should be bummed if their car doesn't make it over their house...
Old 11-16-2011, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

my $.02 short and sweet. Everything has it's limits. People need to buy a vehicle designed for what they're going to do with it. It's not the cars fault when you jump your house with a B44 and it explodes on impact.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I think the term "Bashing" was define use other than "Racing". Obviously it has been taken to the extreme now.

Saying that, some people want indestructible and bullet proof. Hear of so many complaining when their car breaks, probably after jumping it into a tree.

Just don't buy a second hand basher
Old 11-16-2011, 04:35 PM
Tech Rookie

I always knew bashing as "running in the back yard." A basher needs to be able to handle dirt, rocks, grass, mud, etc. It needs to handle makeshift jumps and obstacle courses. I've no doubt that some of that means the truck takes more abuse than when on a track, but (IMHO) it definitely doesn't mean "try to break it."
Old 11-16-2011, 05:50 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 252 (100%+)

We have no track therefore I bash. doesnt mean I dont take care of my stuff just means we have no track so sometimes we run in a parking lot or backyard or gravel pit . just because your a basher doesnt mean your a thrasher.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:03 AM
Tech Adept

I don't mind having a "bullet proof" truck, but I'm sure I'll have to pay lots for it.

I can't even bring myself to get my new/first/birthday gift sct scratched yet, let alone bash it (you gotta understand, no parts or svc support over here). Maybe I should have gotten an RC Lexus or Mercz, lol.

It amuses me how some folks, when they get a new truck, first thing they do is try to break it and then YouTube the whole punishment. Of course, I know it's their money, their truck and they can do anything they want with it
Old 11-17-2011, 07:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Originally Posted by danwolfgang
I always knew bashing as "running in the back yard." A basher needs to be able to handle dirt, rocks, grass, mud, etc. It needs to handle makeshift jumps and obstacle courses. I've no doubt that some of that means the truck takes more abuse than when on a track, but (IMHO) it definitely doesn't mean "try to break it."

agreed. i dont try and jump my house with my truck but im not the worlds best driver and so sometimes it does end up upside-down. that said i also drive weekly at my local track on a prepared course. Its just practice and messing around (not organized racing) but i still consider it "bashing"
Old 11-17-2011, 08:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

I think "fun running" is somewhere between bashing and racing. No abusing he cars.

A friend of mine says, the difference between bashes and racers is racers work on their truck all week to run it for 5 mins and bashers beat on their truck all week and work on it for 5 minutes.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:07 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by DWJL511
So first, you pay lots of money for a truck—the truck you fell in love with at first sight. Then you bash it like hell, and if nothing breaks, it's a good truck. If things break, it's a bad truck.
While reading this, it reminded me of times when people would buy a new cell phone and do drop tests on it to see if it would survive. If so, it was good, if not, take it back to the store. Completely illogical to me.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:44 AM
Tech Master

I bash my blitz to hell and back. Havent broken a single part to need of replace yet. I TRIED to break it at a skatepark. LOVE that truck and will not sell it.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:48 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by blurredvision
While reading this, it reminded me of times when people would buy a new cell phone and do drop tests on it to see if it would survive. If so, it was good, if not, take it back to the store. Completely illogical to me.
Originally Posted by nerdyrcdriver
I bash my blitz to hell and back. Havent broken a single part to need of replace yet. I TRIED to break it at a skatepark. LOVE that truck and will not sell it.

Yes but does it blend?

Sean
Old 12-22-2011, 02:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Colors_By_Dave
I think "fun running" is somewhere between bashing and racing. No abusing he cars.

A friend of mine says, the difference between bashes and racers is racers work on their truck all week to run it for 5 mins and bashers beat on their truck all week and work on it for 5 minutes.

Yeah I remember hearing something along those lines too. I think once you cross over into being a racer, the bashing thing just doesn't appeal anymore. Even if I bought something to "bash", I would be tuning it and rebuilding it. I don't have fun just running something around in my driveway. I grew up in Florida in the late 80's when there was one new neighborhood after another popping up and you had endless dirt to thrash your Tamiya around in. But anyways, carry on...