Wiki Posts
Search

Motor/Esc/Battery

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 12:37 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Motor/Esc/Battery

So i have been watching alot of videos online trying to learn more about electric rc's. And i started watching a series by "squirrelod" which is an introduction to electric rc cars. Now he was talking about how you should choose a battery depended on which motor and esc you have. Which kind of lost me. I thought it was pretty basic. Like if you have 7.4v lipo then it will go so fast, but going to a 3 cell lipo it will go much faster because of the volts. And the mah of a battery just tells you how long it will last. So the more mah you have in a battery, the longer your RC will run.

So, is it more complicated than that? Do you have to pic certain batteries depended on what motor/esc you are running? And if so how do i figure that out?
Old 09-28-2011, 01:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Yes and no.. if your running 1/10th scale RC's there is a good bet you'll only be running 2 cell lipo's or 6 cell nimh. 7.4v's

Now for confusion's sake, lets say your running 4wd short course. Some of my local tracks allow 3S or 3 cell lipo's on their 4x4 SC's. If you go that way you must make sure that your ESC can handle the higher 11.1 Volts as well as make sure your motor can handle it.

For instance:

my tekin 5.5 is rated for 2s only and is 4000kv. At 7.4 volts times 4000kv's the motor will spin 29600 rpms.

Now, my 7.5 turn sc4x is rated for 2s or 3s and is 3000kv. So on 2s or 7.4v's it will spin 22200rpms but on 11.1 v's it will spin 33300.

As long as your motor is rated for 3s and your speed control you will be fine. Usually your lower wind motors which are higher in KV rating won't tolerate higher voltage since they would be spinning such a high rpm they could come apart or overheat.

That is my understanding of it. Check your motor's manufacturer's page to verify if you can use higher cell counts.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:53 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by eri3f0g
Yes and no.. if your running 1/10th scale RC's there is a good bet you'll only be running 2 cell lipo's or 6 cell nimh. 7.4v's

Now for confusion's sake, lets say your running 4wd short course. Some of my local tracks allow 3S or 3 cell lipo's on their 4x4 SC's. If you go that way you must make sure that your ESC can handle the higher 11.1 Volts as well as make sure your motor can handle it.

For instance:

my tekin 5.5 is rated for 2s only and is 4000kv. At 7.4 volts times 4000kv's the motor will spin 29600 rpms.

Now, my 7.5 turn sc4x is rated for 2s or 3s and is 3000kv. So on 2s or 7.4v's it will spin 22200rpms but on 11.1 v's it will spin 33300.

As long as your motor is rated for 3s and your speed control you will be fine. Usually your lower wind motors which are higher in KV rating won't tolerate higher voltage since they would be spinning such a high rpm they could come apart or overheat.

That is my understanding of it. Check your motor's manufacturer's page to verify if you can use higher cell counts.
So its basically, if your motor and esc have the appropreate rating, then its ok to use?
Now what about the motor KV, the higher it is, does that mean the faster you can make your car go?
Old 09-28-2011, 03:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wrathfull
1. So its basically, if your motor and esc have the appropreate rating, then its ok to use?
2. Now what about the motor KV, the higher it is, does that mean the faster you can make your car go?

1. Yes

2. The higher the kv rating the faster/higher rpm the motor will spin. Yes, faster. The turn rating is opposite as the lower the turn rating will equate to a higher kv rating.

For more confusion though, all 10.5 (or whatever size) motors won't have the same kv rating as it varies somewhat from manufacturer to manufacturer
Old 09-28-2011, 04:06 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by eri3f0g
1. Yes
For more confusion though, all 10.5 (or whatever size) motors won't have the same kv rating as it varies somewhat from manufacturer to manufacturer
Ok so 10.5 is turn rating right? How does that factor in?

btw thank you for the info.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:38 AM
Tech Adept

Some brands use kv rating,some use turns.the higher the kv the faster it is.in turns the lower the turns the faster it is.example is 10.5 is faster than 17.5.if you want to race,check the race rules and classes where you plan on racing,and ask racers and staff questions.would not recommend racing higher than stock class to start.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:21 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by lionfish71
Some brands use kv rating,some use turns.the higher the kv the faster it is.in turns the lower the turns the faster it is.example is 10.5 is faster than 17.5.if you want to race,check the race rules and classes where you plan on racing,and ask racers and staff questions.would not recommend racing higher than stock class to start.
Yeah i was planning to start in the stock class, i have good control of rc's been driving them since i was a kid, but i have only had a hobby grade rc for a few years. I was out at a track last weekend and was told i was doing well. I herd the novice class is mostly for kids and beginners to rc.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:49 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by lionfish71
Good to know...I though it was the opposite with the turns!
Old 08-07-2013, 09:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

The kv rating is how many rpm per volt the motor will do. Also with lipo batteries the 7.4 volts is a nominal voltage, the actual fully charged voltage of a 2s lipo is 8.4 volts. It's still called a 7.4 volt battery though. 7.4 is a good place to store the battery at.

Back to the motors, turns is generally used for sensored motors and brushed motors and kv is used for sensor less but not always.