Community
Wiki Posts
Search

stock class buggy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 02:01 PM
Tech Rookie

Default stock class buggy?

i want to get into stock class buggy, but what are some good esc/motor combos? i was looking at a novak gtb2 esc and the price is really good, but the quality of my last 2 novaks weren't exactly the best but one was just my fault for messing it up. i don't want to spend more than 220 for one. also if anyone ordered from amianhobbies, how good are they at shipping? (how quick and simple is payment?) thanks
Old 09-26-2011, 07:56 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ICEEOO
i want to get into stock class buggy, but what are some good esc/motor combos? i was looking at a novak gtb2 esc and the price is really good, but the quality of my last 2 novaks weren't exactly the best but one was just my fault for messing it up. i don't want to spend more than 220 for one. also if anyone ordered from amianhobbies, how good are they at shipping? (how quick and simple is payment?) thanks
If I don't buy something from my local track, I buy from Amain all the time. That's because I live more than an hour away from my "local" track so if you're closer to yours, give them a chance at your support first but if that doesn't work for you, Amain is first rate to deal with, they usually ship same day and I usually pay with PayPal there but they take CC's as well. Also compare the price of what you want to www.stormerhobbies.com as well as Stormer is sometimes cheaper.

For the other part of the question, will the stock buggy class you will be running in be "boosted" or not and I assume it will be 17.5 as well? Most tracks have gone to non-boosted stock/17.5 but there are still a few holdouts. If your track is running boost that will change the answer but assuming your track is a "blinky" mode track and with your stated budget, my recommendation would be to buy a top-of-the-line used ESC like a LRP and pair it with a brand-new motor. A used LRP sxx v.2 will set you back about $130 in the for-sale ads here on average and it will blow anything made by Novak away in terms of adjustability, profiles, smoothness, quality and so on while leaving plenty left in your budget for any stock motor you might want. The GTB2 is a basic ESC that "goes forward" but Novak more or less seems to be living off a reputation built two decades ago these days.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

IMO, this is one of the best stock systems out there. Can pick up the RS for ~$125 used on here sometimes. I TQ and win ProLite (Short Course Stock) with this system in an SC10 at the track here 95% of the time.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...tor-Combo-175T

$237.49 using code CALPSEP1112 for $12.50 off, or buy a screw for $1 to get over the $250 total and use CALPSEP1125 to get $25 off. Or get the combo and the hotwire programmer with the 1125 code for $256.98.

Amain is top notch, and shipping is stupid fast if you're in the Western part of the states. They are based in Fresno California, and I usually get parts shipped via their economy free shipping in 3 days here in Idaho.

Stormerhobbies.com is also a good outfit based in Montana. They don't do gimmicks like free shipping or coupons, but their prices are often some of the cheapest you'll find. Amain has them beat on Tekin combo pricing though which is a little surprising to me.

I'd stay away from Novak personally. I've seen more than one GTB 'let the smoke out.' Many refer to them as Blowvak's here I've heard good things about LRP, but have never ran one.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:06 PM
Tech Rookie

alright thanks guys. ill have to look into that. what do you guys prefer for your trucks/buggies?
Old 09-26-2011, 08:51 PM
Tech Regular

Opinions off the top of my head:

1/10 scale 2wd buggy: I like my Associated B4.1, but the Losi 22 is arguably the best out currently.

1/10 scale 4wd buggy: Durango DEX410 is the creme of the crop, but spendy. Associated 44.1 is a good rig too. Losi XXX-4 is fairly outdated now.

1/10 scale 2wd SC: SC10

1/10 scale 4wd SC: SC10 4x4 turns on a dime and is fairly light, Losi SCTE is heavier but handles rough tracks well, Durango is spendy with finicky diffs, but very fast.

1/10 stadium truck is pretty dead where I'm at. The Associated T4.1 was the truck to have but Losi is coming out with a 22T that will be a killer.

1/10 Short Course Buggy: Losi SCB. It's a hoot and drives pretty well right out of the box. Kind of the only new option for this class. Kyosho makes a SCB type rig also, don't have any experience with them.

1/8 scale electric would have to be the Mugen MBX6 Eco if you're a good driver. If you're newer, the Losi 8ight-E 2.0 is quite a bit more durable and still a good competitor. Same goes for their truggy variants.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TocSin
Opinions off the top of my head:

1/10 scale 2wd buggy: I like my Associated B4.1, but the Losi 22 is arguably the best out currently.

1/10 scale 4wd buggy: Durango DEX410 is the creme of the crop, but spendy. Associated 44.1 is a good rig too. Losi XXX-4 is fairly outdated now.

1/10 scale 2wd SC: SC10

1/10 scale 4wd SC: SC10 4x4 turns on a dime and is fairly light, Losi SCTE is heavier but handles rough tracks well, Durango is spendy with finicky diffs, but very fast.

1/10 stadium truck is pretty dead where I'm at. The Associated T4.1 was the truck to have but Losi is coming out with a 22T that will be a killer.

1/10 Short Course Buggy: Losi SCB. It's a hoot and drives pretty well right out of the box. Kind of the only new option for this class. Kyosho makes a SCB type rig also, don't have any experience with them.

1/8 scale electric would have to be the Mugen MBX6 Eco if you're a good driver. If you're newer, the Losi 8ight-E 2.0 is quite a bit more durable and still a good competitor. Same goes for their truggy variants.
+1 for everything said,he hit it right on the nose
Old 09-27-2011, 11:54 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I would go with the Tekin Rs like he said, BUT i would either use a Reedy sonic i think its 941, or use a Trinity d3. The Reedy is 2264kv I think i could have the last to digits mixed and the Trinity is 2300kv.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:06 PM
Tech Rookie

alright thanks guys. i actually found a used lrp brushless esc locally so hopefully i can get that and get racing
Old 09-27-2011, 02:49 PM
Tech Elite

I would have to disagree with the novaks,and trinity motors. I would go with Team Icon motor, won multiple ROAR national titles and many more races,really powerful, which is helpful when running stock. Best motor I have ever owned by far
Old 09-27-2011, 03:58 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ICEEOO
alright thanks guys. i actually found a used lrp brushless esc locally so hopefully i can get that and get racing
Right on. I think you'll have a blast. 2wd 1/10 Buggy is a great class and I really think it makes you a better driver. They are technical and fairly unforgiving, but can be pretty dang fast when driven well.

All of our 1/10 buggy has died off locally this year. It's all Short Course and SCB.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:00 PM
Tech Master

I really like the LRP esc's. And the fantom Ion 3 motors.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:07 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TocSin
Right on. I think you'll have a blast. 2wd 1/10 Buggy is a great class and I really think it makes you a better driver. They are technical and fairly unforgiving, but can be pretty dang fast when driven well.

All of our 1/10 buggy has died off locally this year. It's all Short Course and SCB.
That sucks that it died off where you live, but scb are getting hot where im at and they look like a blast to drive, but im not allowed to get the newest, latest and greatest thing, because my dad says that thats all I ever want

I would have to disagree with what my dad says
Old 09-28-2011, 04:36 PM
Tech Rookie

sadly, i now have to sell this buggy because of an unfortunate event that happened today so no racing for me for a long time. thanks though guys for the help
Old 11-26-2011, 03:10 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

team icon motors are the best!!