Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
battery and motor help.. >

battery and motor help..

battery and motor help..

Old 09-21-2011, 09:39 AM
Tech Rookie

Default battery and motor help..

Very new to the rc world. I just recently bought a traxxas rustler roller. what is a good battery to get?? Allso need a motor and i dont know what a good one is. What turn motor is good for a rustler. It has a duratrax DTX-4 esc. Thanks for any help??
Old 09-21-2011, 11:05 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

This battery is great for the money:

http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-40c-50...-hardcase.html

This is a good battery for a very economical price

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

I'll let others more familiar with a rustler offer motor advice.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Make sure that ESC is LiPo compatible before buying either of the batteries mentioned above. I did a search for that ESC and all it would reference was that it is a rebranded Novak (possibly an older one).
Old 09-21-2011, 11:42 AM
Tech Addict

thanks Klaymon,

Very important to make sure your ESC is lipo compatible which means that it has a built in cutoff so that it doesn't kill the battery all the way down to zero. This can kill a lipo and worse could cause a fire.

In todays world it's so much better to have lipos..they run so well it's worth it, but again, when you have two trucks and an 11 year old son you must do what the wallet says.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:42 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the help my esc is not lipo compatible. i am looking into a new one. wich is better a 12turn motor or a 19turn??
Old 09-21-2011, 12:50 PM
Tech Elite

Better in what way? Speed? 12 turn. Run time? 19turn.

Lower number of turns equals more speed, but also less run time. Make sure your ESC can handle the number of turns you are considering.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:23 PM
Tech Rookie

I didnt know what the turns ment . Thanks for the help.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:29 PM
Tech Addict

the stock class motors really are great for the money. They seem to really accept timing and tweaking if you want so you can take a "lower power" motor but make it run with the "better" motors quite well.

If your going to race, check with the classes and rules at your track. i would recommend going with a 17.5, 13.5, or 10.5 brushless motor if your looking to start fresh. They all run very well and depending on the speed control you buy you can tweak them enough to be competitive on most tracks even when the competition has "more power". It's really on in driving to be honest.

Personally I like sensored motors best. They have (in my opinion, others differ) a very nice power delivery that allows even acceleration and a nice smooth delivery. You can still squeeze the trigger and rip the tires up but it's when you want that 1/4 throttle through the sweeper that the sensored seem to shine vs the non-sensored motors.

You may get better idea's on what to go with if you have a budget range to go with. Since you already have a roller, what is the budget you expect to pay for your ESC, Motor, Servo, and radio?
Old 09-21-2011, 04:09 PM
Tech Elite

Just to expand on that a little, don't go overboard on motor. It's a sickness we all share.

I have a 9.5 in my SCT that really only serves me in a couple of places on our track: the straight (120') and a triple jump. Out of a 21 second lap, I get to use most of my motor for about 3 seconds. Most of the time, I'm at 1/4 throttle or less. However, the SCT is a heavier vehicle by a large margin so the extra power is really nice just to dig out of corners, etc.

If you were going to race your Rustler, I would go no more than a 13.5 but probably start with a 17.5 until you get used to racing in general. It's a lot different than the street or yard.

If you're just bashing (no racing), go as big as you like keeping in mind the things we've already addressed (ESC capabilities, run time, etc).

Either way, just have fun with it. That's the whole point.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by klaymon View Post
Make sure that ESC is LiPo compatible before buying either of the batteries mentioned above. I did a search for that ESC and all it would reference was that it is a rebranded Novak (possibly an older one).
Yep, definitely
Old 09-22-2011, 02:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default BMX RIDER

Hello

I have a rusty also I just bought last weekend a Orion experiance 2 Pro
For mine and a brand new 5000nmh battery man it screams I tryed a lipo 7 cell in it and it was VERY fast Im running the stock spur with a 19t pinion the motor stays cool ect im really pleased with this combo

Good luck
Jeff
Old 09-22-2011, 04:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stroker82 View Post
Hello

I have a rusty also I just bought last weekend a Orion experiance 2 Pro
For mine and a brand new 5000nmh battery man it screams I tryed a lipo 7 cell in it and it was VERY fast Im running the stock spur with a 19t pinion the motor stays cool ect im really pleased with this combo

Good luck
Jeff
I'll bet that thing is MEAN with a 7 cell lipo in it!

+1 on the GensAce or the hobbyking batteries. I run 2s 40c 5000mAH GensAce packs in my SC10 4x4 and XXX-SCB and the Hobbyking 2s 30c 3600mAH's in my SC10 stocker.