Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Can I get some help with a SC10 purchace? >

Can I get some help with a SC10 purchace?

Can I get some help with a SC10 purchace?

Old 09-20-2011, 08:59 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Can I get some help with a SC10 purchace?

So i am pretty new to RC cars, bought a rustler a few years ago, i have played with it a bunch but never raced. I just got my first lipo battery last month. So last week I bought a used SC10 for my 11 year old son to have on his birthday. It was setup for racing, so i changed the gearing and such to slow it down, so he won't cook the motor. So now I would like to get a SC10 for myself so me and my son can race together. Since i would like the experience of putting it together myself, I would like to get a kit. Now my question is, well actually i have a few of them, and hopefully someone doesn't mind answering them.
First is i am not sure which i would like, I was looking online at the kits but i can't tell the difference between them
Associated 1/10 SC10 Factory Team Kit
Associated 1/10 SC10 2WD Race Truck Kit
I found them on the tower hobbies website
so I am guessing that the difference between them is upgraded parts? I see the descriptions are different but I don't really know what the difference is between them. So should I be buying the more expensive one because it will have better parts or will I be replacing those parts eventually with better racing parts. Granted I could probably replace over time after I get better or if something breaks.
The next is I do not know how to choose a motor, esc and pinion gear.
Also I am assuming i should get a spectrum radio so I only have one radio for it and for my rustler, and any others i may aquire in the future.
The last thing is should i be considering a 4x4 instead? I hope that the 2wd is a popular class.

I hope that wasn't too long and I hope someone can help out, thanks in advance
Old 09-20-2011, 10:18 PM
Tech Adept

Default Sc10

I would get an sc10 rs. But if you really want a kit then I'd get the factory team kit. Either a sidewinder motor esc combo or a mamba max pro esc and a 4 pole castle motor. And by far the best servo is a spectrum 6040 and their only like 80 bucks. And I would run a 20 t pinion in it.
If you have any questions or need any help just send me a message.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:46 PM
K_B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

You are correct about those two kits; the Factory Team has a bunch of upgrades. The most significant of which is the shocks. I bought the FT for the shocks alone. Much better than the blue shocks on the standard kit. Totally worth the extra cost in my opinion.

Choice of electronics (the motor in particular) will depend on what class you plan on participating in. Since you're a beginner, you'll wanna start in the stock or "spec" class which typically limits the motor to 17.5 turns. The ESC may or may not have to be a "spec" ESC; one where you can't electronically adjust it to give yourself a speed advantage over the other guys. I would check with the local track to see what the requirements are.

Same goes for 2WD or 4WD. Hit up the track on a race night and see what the popular class is. You usually can't go wrong with 2WD though.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:26 AM
Tech Master

Get the factory team kit. Its alot better than the other sc10 kits. It has alot of upgraded parts to.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:51 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Fastzack95 View Post
I would get an sc10 rs. But if you really want a kit then I'd get the factory team kit. Either a sidewinder motor esc combo or a mamba max pro esc and a 4 pole castle motor. And by far the best servo is a spectrum 6040 and their only like 80 bucks. And I would run a 20 t pinion in it.
If you have any questions or need any help just send me a message.
What does the "RS" stand for?

Thx for the help guys, I will go with the FT kit, and going to look into the electronics, any suggestions on a radio? I would like something that will be good for a beginner but that is not to price heavy.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:40 AM
Tech Master

RS= Race Spec...

In my opinion I would go with the 2wd Factory Team Kit...

Racer53
Old 09-21-2011, 11:31 AM
Tech Adept

I think the DX2S might be a good one, not to expensive but won't need to upgrade anytime soon.

Any opinions?
Old 09-21-2011, 11:32 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by racer53 View Post
RS= Race Spec...

In my opinion I would go with the 2wd Factory Team Kit...

Racer53
Ahh ok, thx racer53
Old 09-21-2011, 08:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Definitely go with the 2wd factory team kit, save more money in the long run. Definitely dont know about sc motors and escs
Old 09-21-2011, 09:36 PM
Tech Adept

yeah i am getting the SC10 2wd FT kit, I have never built a one before, anyone happen to have some info on the do's and dont's?

For the motor and esc i am not sure yet. The radio i am thinking about the
Spektrum DX3C DSM 3-Channel Surface Radio
or
Spektrum DX2S 2-ch with telemetry

I read the stats and I have no idea what most of it means, like the telemetry, no idea.

So, any suggestions?
Old 09-21-2011, 10:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wrathfull View Post
yeah i am getting the SC10 2wd FT kit, I have never built a one before, anyone happen to have some info on the do's and dont's?
I'm sure you can find some youtube vids of a complete build. There is also a great tutorial on building the ball differential. I believe it's stickied at the top of the electric offroad section of this forum.

I'd say also to pick up the front and rear spring kits for the truck. About $12.00 each set. They can really help dial the truck in.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:06 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by eri3f0g View Post
I'd say also to pick up the front and rear spring kits for the truck. About $12.00 each set. They can really help dial the truck in.
Hey man could you elaborate on the spring kits, as I said earlier I quite new to most of this. The kit comes with springs, so i am assuming you mean some to help put them together?
Old 09-21-2011, 11:50 PM
K_B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

AE has "spring kits" that contain various springs of different stiffness. So you can swap out springs for different track conditions. I wouldn't consider this absolutely necessary right off the bat.

For a radio, the DX2S or DX3C are great. The only reason to get the 3C would be if you got into rock crawlers, which is one of the reasons Spektrum released the 3C in the first place.

Telemetry is also not entirely necessary and many of the telemetry features are geared towards nitro cars anyway. I don't know anyone who actually uses it. It does have a handy features that allow you to monitor motor temperature from your radio and set an alarm if the temp passes a certain point. But again, more of a luxury than a necessity.

Last but not least, AE has a youtube channel with a bunch of how-to's for their various cars. The shock tutorials are particularly handy:

http://www.youtube.com/user/TeamAssociatedRC
Old 09-22-2011, 08:09 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

+1 on the Factory Team Kit. The V2 shocks alone are worth the increase in price, and the upgraded turnbuckles don't bend nearly as easily as the black regular kit ones. The factory team battery strap also allows you to run 'plug in' type LiPo's like the Gens Ace 2s 40c 5000MAh's.

I'd recommend ditching the ball diff and putting a gear diff in it though. That is just my personal opinion. The ball diff is easier to tune, but I'm too lazy to tear it down every 3-5 races to rebuild it. With a gear diff, you fill it and forget it.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...r-Differential

Think it's $25 at Stormer.

I'm a Tekin guy, so I'd say pick up an RS and a 17.5 if the stock class is popular at your local track. Or RS and a 10.5 or 13.5 if they run mod. You'll pay a bit more, but it is a quality sensored setup. The Losi Xcelorin systems aren't bad either. I'm not a huge fan of Castle, but they are adequate. My son runs a Sidewinder and a ...4600kv or 4800kv I think? in his SC10 2wd. The 4 pole 1410 is a lot to hold on to in a 2wd, but you can dial it back with the programmer or by changing end points on your radio. That was the motor I was running in my SC10 4x4 until Tekin released their 4 pole pro-4's.

One last thing. Be sure to put an RPM front bumper on it right away. The front neck of the chassis is the weakest part of the truck if you case a jump, and the RPM front bumper ties in clear back at the servo screws to beef that portion up.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:27 AM
Tech Adept

thanks for all the help guys, i am definately going to be watching some videos tonight.

The whole gearing thing still really confuses me, i am going to read over the SC10 gearing thread under the electric off road secion and see if i can grasp that a bit more. Ill have to ask my hobbie shop to see what the requirements are for the classes. Obviously i would start as a novice. Do novice classes normally have just stock equiptment?

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service