nitro help

Old 08-24-2011, 01:15 AM
Tech Rookie

Default nitro help

hey i just moved from electric to nitro and im planning on getting a used tec-4 3.3 rtr. i heard you have to do engine break ins, trimming and more maintenance. can anyone help me with this? how many times do you have to break into your engine? how do you trim and adjust leanness and richness of oil and how would you know its lean or not. im kinda confused.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:56 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Nitro engines can be hard to tune at first but once you get your engine tuned it tends to stay tuned. As far as break in, typically it's broken in after the first 3-5 tanks of fuel run through it (if done properly). If you're buying used you won't have to worry about it as I would assume the engine will have more than 5 tanks run through it. Leaning/richening the engine is simple adjustments of needle settings. If you find a manual online for your specific engine it will give recommended settings for break in and afterwards and then you can fine tune it from there. Typically it's small adjustments done while running basing your tweaks by watching how much/what color the smoke is coming from your exhaust. Don't let motor tuning intimidate you, it may be frustrating at first but once you get the hang of it you can get your engine up and ripping in no time.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:36 PM
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up

Normally out of the box the engine will be set at the proper needle settings for break in. A good break in video can be found on youtube.
As far as motor tuning goes there is a ton of videos that explain the function of the HSN and LSN. Always start with the HSN settings and work from there, make small adjustments if your new I would suggest a 1/8 turn at a time, run it out and then adjust again until you find the sweet spot on the car. Good luck and enjoy the world of smelling like Nitro Fuel
Old 08-25-2011, 08:32 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

This may help - http://traxxas.com/support/Starting-...ngine%E2%84%A2

Traxxas has a tuning DVD, takes you thru the complete process, can find them on eBay, it comes with a new nitro.