Search

ESC Wires Too Short

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 12:21 PM
CT5
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default ESC Wires Too Short

I picked up a used brushless esc and the 3 wires going to the motor are just a bit too short (maybe an inch or two). I'll be honest, I'm not too thrilled at trying to solder new wires to the tab on the esc. What might be a good/easy option here (besides physically mounting the esc closer)?

T.I.A.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

The best option is to replace the wires at the tabs on the ESC - it's not that hard. However, in a pinch you could simply solder another piece of wire on to the end of the existing wire and it'll add some resistance but should work ok.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:53 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

http://www.speedpassion.net/us/produ...p=SP3P01&c=OPT

this could be a useful option!! I have one, & it works great! also allows for easy motor changes!
Old 08-22-2011, 07:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

You could either soilder a new one on the board, add to it or if your not shure about your soldering find a person who is. Some one who repairs TV's and electronics for a living or hobby. Of just take it to your local hobbyshop. Just pay shipping both ways and mail it to me. I'll do it. Really, I like to help. PM me if you want.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:28 PM
Tech Master

Take it to your local hobby shop.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:58 PM
Tech Initiate

I honestly had the same issue with my brand new stuff that i received this week so I just soldered on some nice wire extensions to reach back to the motor. I made sure to really get thing stuff soldered together well and covered it well in shrink wrap so there is no issues.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Personally, I would much rather solder on a motor than an ESC. I'd cut them, solder bullet connectors on the ESC side wires and desolder the motor wires and run new cut to length wires soldered on the motor. Then if you get a different motor down the road, match up the wire lengths and throw bullet's on it too for a quick swap setup.

Bullets are cake to solder up if you make a jig out of a piece of wood. Drill a hole ~3/8" deep with a bit about the size of the bullet end. It'll hold it for you and doesn't conduct a lot of the heat out of the bullet.