Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Doing a Revo Brushless conversion, need a good motor and esc. >

Doing a Revo Brushless conversion, need a good motor and esc.

Doing a Revo Brushless conversion, need a good motor and esc.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:16 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Doing a Revo Brushless conversion, need a good motor and esc.

I need a good 1/8th scale motor and esc combo for my Revo, as I'm going to be doing a brushless conversion.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:33 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

get a mamba monster that is what alot of poeple are doing or the tiken i belive good luck with the build
Old 08-19-2011, 03:39 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

The new E-Revo comes standard with the mamba monster.

Check out the traxxas site for which motor (kv) and gearing they use as a guide.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:16 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

The RTR E-Revo Brushless edition cames with a Mamba Monster with a Neu Castle 2200KV motor, same as the savage. For bashing it would be just fine.

If you're planning to race switching to the Tekin is a common upgrade since many racers like having a sensored setup. You can't really go wrong either way.

There is also a ESC from Hobbywing that many people have had success with but it's more of a gamble since their support may not always be as good as Castle or Tekin.

It's really up to you but my MMM and 2200kV has been fine in my Savage Flux. Heck standing backflips are a sure sign of a good combo

Star
Old 08-19-2011, 09:11 AM
Tech Apprentice

I had a blast with the MMM 2200kv combo in my E-Revo. Some would recommend a lower KV motor with more torque, but I'd recommend sticking with the 2200kv and save yourself the headache of more than normal diff issues with the Revo. If you're wanting to go a cheaper route most people seem to be having pretty good luck with the hobbywing ESC and motor combos too. If you don't already have them, I'd install some aluminum diff cups to deal with brushless power... or do the losi diff modification.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:02 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I don't think you'll find a better balanced package than a CC2200 combo.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:06 PM
Tech Initiate

Anyone have some links?

I'm pretty new to the whole brushless scene. My main drag is nitro.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:18 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Here's a couple -

http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...a_monster.html

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXVHA5&P=ML
Old 08-19-2011, 01:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

I would prefer the castle system linked above... but if it's too much for your wallet there's always:

http://www.hobbypartz.com/07e-c-combo-m3.html

One other thing to keep in mind is that to accomodate the power of that kind of brushless combo you're going to need some decent batteries. The MMM 2200kv will usually pull about a max of 120 amps, and you need to make sure that the batteries can handle that. Some overhead is always better. I would recommend at least 30c batteries for the E-Revo. The actual formula for calculating the number of amps that can be pulled from a battery constantly is capacity/1000x c rating. An example is say you have a 5000mah battery with a 40c current rating (which is what I ran in the E-Revo)

5000/1000 = 5
5 x 40 = 200

So that particular battery can handle discharging at 200 amps constant. You're well over where you need to be. The batteries, motor, and esc stay cooler due to the fact that you have less resistance.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:46 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by daravelli View Post
I would prefer the castle system linked above... but if it's too much for your wallet there's always:

http://www.hobbypartz.com/07e-c-combo-m3.html

One other thing to keep in mind is that to accomodate the power of that kind of brushless combo you're going to need some decent batteries. The MMM 2200kv will usually pull about a max of 120 amps, and you need to make sure that the batteries can handle that. Some overhead is always better. I would recommend at least 30c batteries for the E-Revo. The actual formula for calculating the number of amps that can be pulled from a battery constantly is capacity/1000x c rating. An example is say you have a 5000mah battery with a 40c current rating (which is what I ran in the E-Revo)

5000/1000 = 5
5 x 40 = 200

So that particular battery can handle discharging at 200 amps constant. You're well over where you need to be. The batteries, motor, and esc stay cooler due to the fact that you have less resistance.
Thanks. I think I'll go with the Hobbywing setup.

Anyone have any experience with this setup?
Old 08-21-2011, 07:53 PM
Tech Initiate

Can anyone recommend a good battery?
Old 08-22-2011, 08:58 AM
Tech Initiate

hobby wing 1/8 150amp esc
Tenshock x802 6 pole motor 2400kv
pinion to 16/46

i run that on my 1/8 buggy and the car was plenty fast. running off 3s and 4s packs.
aliexpress has some decent prices. funs hobby search for the best deal u can find.
the esc is pretty good.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:23 PM
Tech Initiate

Got the conversion all done, and the thing crawls!

I checked the manual that came with the motor, and found nothing! It barely moves! MAYBE 15mph.

Any help?
Old 10-03-2011, 02:35 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Did you buy that Xerun combo from Hobbypartz or the CC combo?
Either one would be good, but what battery are you running? How many cells is it, how much capacity?
Both of those combos are going to need at least 4s batteries.
What spur gear are you using? And what pinion?
Did you do the forward only conversion and lock it in second gear?

I'm just guessing here, but I think you bought the Xerun, and if your only running 2s (7.4v) and the stock spur gear (38 tooth I think) and a 20 tooth pinion running Talon tires, then 15mph would be right. And if you didn't lock it in second, that wouldn't be enough to shift out of first.

Check your setup in RC Calculator, and play with your settings a bit to get an idea of what you need to change to get the speed you require.
http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/top_speed.html

According to the calculator, locking it in second and running 4s batteries with the same setup I guessed at otherwise would give 42mph, and 6s would give you over 60mph.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:03 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by majatra View Post
Did you buy that Xerun combo from Hobbypartz or the CC combo?
Either one would be good, but what battery are you running? How many cells is it, how much capacity?
Both of those combos are going to need at least 4s batteries.
What spur gear are you using? And what pinion?
Did you do the forward only conversion and lock it in second gear?

I'm just guessing here, but I think you bought the Xerun, and if your only running 2s (7.4v) and the stock spur gear (38 tooth I think) and a 20 tooth pinion running Talon tires, then 15mph would be right. And if you didn't lock it in second, that wouldn't be enough to shift out of first.

Check your setup in RC Calculator, and play with your settings a bit to get an idea of what you need to change to get the speed you require.
http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/top_speed.html

According to the calculator, locking it in second and running 4s batteries with the same setup I guessed at otherwise would give 42mph, and 6s would give you over 60mph.
Thanks for the input. I ended up buying the Xerun combo, but I figure out my speed problem. Sounds stupid, but I adjusted the brake too far down and it was dragging. I fixed it and the thing flies. However, after letting my neighbor drive it, he cartwheel and landed it upside down, sliding along the pavement on the case of the esc.

I have since moved the esc.

A day or two later, I went to drive it and the esc was dead, no power to anything, no chimes, no alert tones, nothing.

I took it apart and one of the boards was cracked, and unrepairable.

I bought a MMM combo and a 5s lipo, and a 4s lipo. I also bought RR steel FOC gears, spur, and pinion.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service