Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Engine Troubles

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 03:53 AM
Tech Rookie

New Engine Troubles

I’m having all sorts of dramas with my new Kyosho GP Ultima ST. It has a GX15 engine. I read the break-in instructions several times but I’m still having problems. For starters (pardon the pun), I can get the engine running, and idling, but as soon as I remove the glow plug the engine dies. I’ve also noticed a LOT of fuel coming out of the exhaust. I started with the needle valve 3 turns unscrewed from the closed position and did not touch the throttle valve at all (as suggested in the manual). Since then, I’ve tried to play with the throttle adjustment, with mixed results. Not sure what I’m doing since I don’t know what’s acceptable idle rate/sound.

I’m real nervous, because I’ve read so much about how quickly engines can get trashed. I’ve already gone through almost 2 tanks (the 1st tank was gone in a matter of seconds) and I haven’t even gotten the car to move yet.

Any help greatly appreciated.

WillB
Old 01-10-2005, 05:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Your engine is running to rich or to cold of a plug when you remove the ignitor it dies. Set the Low speed needle the way it was and dont touch it. Set the high speed needle (the one by the fuel inlet) to the break in setting. Try to start engine if it does the same tighten it about 1/4 to 1/2 turn try that. It should dump fuel/oil out the exhaust during idle break-in. Did you set the idle setting throttle gap?
Old 01-10-2005, 08:09 PM
Tech Rookie

I did just that. Set the low speed needle to default and the other about where I thought it should be. I'm only estimating the gap, as I don't have anything to measure it with and the manual doesn't mention a particilar setting. I've read, as long as the engine doesn't die while idling, or if full brake is on and it doesn't die, it should be ok. Not sure if the setting is at optimal though, and I'm a bit afraid to mess with it. Is this ok or should this be tweaked as well now?

No longer having problems with the engine dying when the glow plug ignitor is removed. Breaking in seems to be going ok, although the engine dies at about half tank, which I've read may be overheating or too rich. I'm on tank 3 now and have started to tighten the big needle 5mins while incresing the amount of throttle I apply. Still the engine keps dying after 1/2 a tank. Will this keep happening while braking in or until the low speed needle is in more?

Thanks for all the help.

Last edited by WillB; 01-10-2005 at 08:15 PM.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Just to clarify it dies while idling soon as it reaches half tank? sounds like loss of pressure in the tank.
Old 01-12-2005, 03:35 AM
Tech Rookie

Here's the latest ...

It seems to always die at 1/2 tank while its running, but it will start again straigt away. It doesn't seem too hot. The doco says the head should not be above 50 degrees. The engine is very hot, but not the head. I usually let is sit a while to cool off anyway. (At least until I can touch the head without burning my finger. Is this ok?

Engine seems to be running better. Today I had my 1st run in the open. 1st tank was great. Second tank was a bit troublesome, as the engine kept dying on me when I tried putting the body over the car for some reason. Tried about 6 times to let it idle for a while before putting the body on, but it still died on me. Did my second tank without the body on (yuk). Any ideas why this is happening? Had no dramas a t all with the 1st run out with the body on. On my 5th tank and haven't gone full bore yet. Only turned the throttle 15 degrees, which was about 2 clicks. Plan to run with this for another tank or two before turning the low speed needle another 2 clicks.

A few other general questions if i may. I've read you shouldn't let the tank run completely dry, as this causes the engine to over rev. Is this true?

Do I have to wait until I find the optimum setting on the low speed needle before I can apply the full thottle? I'm trying to be patient, but I do want to see how fast the thing can really go. How many more tanks should I wait? Does it harm the engine to go full throttle to early??

Thanks again