Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
XXX-S Initial Hop ups, HELP!!!! >

XXX-S Initial Hop ups, HELP!!!!

XXX-S Initial Hop ups, HELP!!!!

Old 05-20-2002, 01:20 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)
Exclamation XXX-S Initial Hop ups, HELP!!!!

Hey All, I am going to be running in a 19turn spec class. The only stipulations other than the motor is that you have to use unmatched cells unless they are under 2000 mah (most use 3000 mah stick sport packs). i need to know a few things, first is my gear:

ESC: Novak explorer II
Batts: 3 Matched 1700s (will upgrade later)
Servo: 945MG Servo
Radio: JR Python AM

now to the questions:

1) what are the hopups that people feel are mandatory for the XXX-S. I have already picked up ball bearings for the steering.

2) I have heard of the front C hubs breaking. Should these be replaced with aluminum?

3) What is a good ESC for the price range of the explorer II that puts out 6.0 V to the servo? (I want the best performance from my servo) It doesn't have reverse and I don't need a motor than handles anything more than say 17 turn unless the price is right.

4) How well does the stock XXX-S body handle?

5) Should I boil the A-Arms?

Thanks for your help?
Old 05-22-2002, 12:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

try this link, there are lots of pages about xxx-s hopups, setups, etc. go to the xxx-s thread

http://www.rctech.net/forum/forumdis...p?s=&forumid=2

most racers recommend short front shocks and threaded shocks as primary hopups. then, there's the graphite conversion kit to lighten and stiffen the car. sway bars, springs, and a front one-way will aid in tuning to your racetrack.

out of the box, the xxx-s is a very good car, you may not need to add anything more. i just added threaded shocks and a motor heatsink to mine as primary hopups. the steering ball bearings are important because the stock plastic bushings seem to have a bit of drag. for front-end protection, install a BRP wide front bumper.

im not sure about boiling the arms although i read somewhere that HPI recommends this to soften the ones that came with their truck kits. this makes the plastic flex a little in crashes, instead of breaking. i think its better to get stock c-hubs because when aluminum bends in a crash, it stays bent. installing a wide front bumper should lessen parts breakage. about the body, i still havent used the one that came with the kit, but i think it may be comparable to aftermarket bodies from protoform. about the esc, im not sure which ones have a 6V output but high end esc's are priced much higher than the explorer, so if youre on a budget, try looking for good condition used esc's. but you have to be very careful and buy from someone you trust.