Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
what would be the smarter choice? >

what would be the smarter choice?

what would be the smarter choice?

Old 06-22-2011, 11:40 PM
Tech Rookie

Default what would be the smarter choice?

I have a Traxxas bandit (legacy). At first I loved it and I still do. But its really out dated so Ive been thinking of upgrading it. I Was thinking of making it into a VXL but I dont know if that would be the best way of giving it a second life. Ive had a few problems like the msc going up in smoke, The shocks popping open (upgrading to aluminum when the $ finds its way to me) But I'm not sure witch route to go. I'm a noob to all this, the only thing i really know how to do is drive. I know Traxxas is more of a bashing brand but I was looking forward to racing too. So the big question is whats a good setup? Thank you all in advance.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:02 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Sounds like your money would be better spent on a new one that would let you race without a lot of changes. You'll wind up upgrading (if upgrades are even available) every area of the Bandit as a VXL brushless setup will ID every weak link in the drive train and car.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:47 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Giggling Stoner View Post
I have a Traxxas bandit (legacy). At first I loved it and I still do. But its really out dated so Ive been thinking of upgrading it. I Was thinking of making it into a VXL but I dont know if that would be the best way of giving it a second life. Ive had a few problems like the msc going up in smoke, The shocks popping open (upgrading to aluminum when the $ finds its way to me) But I'm not sure witch route to go. I'm a noob to all this, the only thing i really know how to do is drive. I know Traxxas is more of a bashing brand but I was looking forward to racing too. So the big question is whats a good setup? Thank you all in advance.
No matter what you do, it will not be on par to race. I would save my money and get somethig to race. Short Corse/??
Old 06-23-2011, 10:22 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

I'd go with what these guys said...

Looking back, you'd probably give the same advice once you had your bandit all souped up.

May think it will be too expensive, but in the long run its the way to go.
If you cant afford it now and just want to play with what you got, try to get as much out of it as you can without spending money on it...and save.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:15 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for all the reply's, And im not sure what I want to race maybe buggies cuz I like they way they look or some sort of truck.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:20 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Visit the track where you would be running and see what classes they run - that may impact your decision. Then you can make an informed decision.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:56 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Duster_360 View Post
Visit the track where you would be running and see what classes they run - that may impact your decision. Then you can make an informed decision.
I plan on going there to check out the tracks and get my new truck/buggy from there shop. At the moment ive found two trucks im interested in. A 1/10 speed-T rtr and 1/10 desert truck rtr both team losi my only question at this point is would it still run if i got waterproof servos for mudding. Or what else would I need to do to make it safe to drive in rain/snow/mud.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

Team Associated b4!!!!
Old 06-23-2011, 05:22 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I went through something similar to this with my Rustler which I bought back in 1999. When I started running it again a few months ago it seemed so slow that I thought about upgrading it or replacing it. I decided to upgrade thinking it would be the cheaper way to go. I was wrong. After all the upgrades I did to get it up to VXL spec I ended up spending almost the same amount as if I bought a new kit. It was fun working on it though.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:24 PM
Tech Rookie

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Delawareguy View Post
I went through something similar to this with my Rustler which I bought back in 1999. When I started running it again a few months ago it seemed so slow that I thought about upgrading it or replacing it. I decided to upgrade thinking it would be the cheaper way to go. I was wrong. After all the upgrades I did to get it up to VXL spec I ended up spending almost the same amount as if I bought a new kit. It was fun working on it though.
I was thinking of upgrading it for the fun of it but I really don't have the money. I'm still looking for a job and this economy sucks. But I think I'm going to get a new rc until I can get all the parts I need. No clue how long that's going to be but its something to look forward too. I'm looking around for some nice buggies or trucks anyone know any good brands? So far I've looked at Team Associated, Losi, and Traxxas. I really like the Team Associated B4 but I think the Traxxas 1/16 E-revo would suit me more. But I'm still a noob to this hobby and would love to here from the people who have been in this hobby longer and know what thier doing. And side note I charged my AA battery's for my controller now it wont even turn on. I flip the switch and the red light does not light up and if I leave it on more than 20 seconds I start to smell burning plastic I think it might be a short. anyone have any ideas.