Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
New To The Forum >

New To The Forum

New To The Forum

Old 06-19-2011, 03:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default New To The Forum

Hey everyone, I've been posting a little here and there and reading a lot on the forums here. I figured it would be a good time to introduce myself. I've been into RC Cars since about 1990 or so.

My first was a Kyosho Turbo Raider combo kit from Tower hobbies. I had a blast building that thing and beating on it. From there I bought a used original RC10, then went oval pan racing with a fiberglass RC10L kit. Next was an original RC10T, and lastly for the electrics was a Kyosho Lazer ZX-R.

At one point I went to a trade show in Chicago and got a free LTO graphite chassis for the 10L and at that point was bored with the Turbo Raider...I had also bought a fully adjustable front kit for the 10L so I took the fiberglass chassis and the original 10L front and combined that with the rear transmission from the Raider. I also took all the guts out of the trans and made it direct drive by bolting the motor to the trans case after dremeling it out. It was stupid but fun.

I probably had the most fun with the 10T as that was a blast to drive. The fastest was the Lazer, I ran stock classes with everything else but ran the 4wd with a mod motor. Man that thing was a rocket ship. The last time I ran it was just on an open track day and some kid with a black foot decided it would be cool at the end of the main straight to whip a U-turn and run the opposite way. I didn't see it until it was too late and he took out both front and rear shock towers and bent some shock shafts. I was so pissed I left and never did end up fixing the Lazer.

From there I lost touch with the hobby through my college days only running the 10T around campus for fun here and there. Back in 2000 I got back into the hobby with an HPI nitro touring car. I had some fun with that but never raced it. Then it was a T-max that had transmission issues from the day I bought it. I also still have a nitro Evader, AE MGT 3.0, OFNA Monster Pirate, RC10GT Factory Team, and a Raze. All of those will probably be posted for sale. The nitro was just never as much fun for me and most of them have little run time on them and never really raced any of them.

That brings me to a couple of weeks ago when I was thinking of what to get my son for his birthday this year. He will be 5 in August and has some of those cheapy cars you get at Walmart and he likes them and understand how to run them. I saw Tamiya was still making the Midnight Pumpkin and Lunchbox and I always wanted a Lunchbox...soooo he is getting a Pumpkin for his birthday and I got a Lunchbox to run with him. Full bearing kits for both and I am putting the Tamiya oil filled shocks on them as well...dad's is getting the RS Sport motor though

So I had so much fun building them I decided I want to get back into the electric scene and do some racing. I started looking and thought the RC 10T4.1 would be what I wanted but then learned stadium truck is pretty much dead and replaced by SCT. Anyway after some research and eBay watching I have score deals on a factory team kit SC10 and a factory team kit RC10B4.1. I'll only run one class at a time but am not sure which I will like since I never raced a whole lot of 2wd buggy and obviously never ran SCT but it looks like a ton of fun.

I'll probably bug you guys a lot in the next few weeks with ESC, motor, battery, charger, and setup questions. I have a lot to learn all over again but think I will have more fun going back to electric than I had the last few years running nitro.

Thanks for reading and I apologize in advance for all the questions that will be coming!

-Joe
Old 06-19-2011, 04:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Welcome to the boards.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Welcome man.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)